Speculation: Next Head Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
This is freaking me out...

I went to Ferris. I played goalie. And... I'm bald.

boom-mind-blown.gif

Are you secretly Derek Lalonde?

• Wow
Reactions: golffuul

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
So McCarty is leaking shit Draper would want to keep quiet?
Eh, it’s probably more that he’s speculating like everyone else versus leaking anything.

In spite of his history with the team I doubt McCarty has an inside track on Yzermans moves.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
A mediocre former player with no head coaching experience sounds about right for this team.
Not sure there have been any all-star/HoF players who have become successful coaches in the NHL, so far., aside from Martin St Louis, and we haven't had a large enough sample size with him, yet, to label him a succsessful coach. Even Craig Berube was a 4th line goon for most of his career. They've all been mostly NHL flunkies or bottom 6/bottom 3 players.

Reactions: Bench

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Not sure there have been any all-star/HoF players who have become successful coaches in the NHL, so far., aside from Martin St Louis, and we haven't had a large enough sample size with him, yet, to label him a succsessful coach. Even Craig Berube was a 4th line goon for most of his career. They've all been mostly NHL flunkies or bottom 6/bottom 3 players.

It's almost like being ridiculously physically talented at something has no bearing on the leadership, management, teaching, and strategic elements of sports. It's a rare treat when the two overlap.

And sometimes it's a detriment. I'm pretty sure Gretzky watched his players puck anticipation and shook his head wondering why they didn't see the play developing 3 steps ahead like he did. "Just know where to be before it happens, morons! Gah." Like how can you possibly teach what he did? You really can't.

Growing up there were kids at goalie camp that wanted to be Hasek. And yeah, Hasek was the best so it makes sense. But trying to emulate him was a disaster. He was one of a kind. You're better off trying to mimic boring but steady Osgood if you actually want to get better.

The truly elite players are rarely able to be replicated. But guys like Jeff Halpern? He worked his ass off for everything out there. If I'm teaching a youth hockey player, yeah it's fun up see Datsyuk highlights, but get real... he's going to learn more and find success following the fundamentals that made Halpern a professional.

Give me a roster of guys with the brain and drive of Halpern and you're going to go far in the playoffs.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I wonder why Zettler doesn't get much love in these discussions.
Has more coaching experience than Halpern.

I remember when the Red Wings were supposedly very interested in Halpern as a player.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
At 10:10 regarding Bruins/Jets/Sharks HC situation

At 16:15 regarding RW HC situation

Friedman guest of Marek show (podcast)

Last edited:

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
At 10:10 regarding Bruins/Jets/Sharks HC situation

At 16:15 regarding RW HC situation

Friedman guest of Marek show (podcast)

Still love how some Canadians pronounce 'Detroit' - 'Deh-Troy-It'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia