Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Ottawa Senators - December 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
B. Smith has still Bahamas memories and can`t get enough cocktails this summer - it`s a shame, and tonight with 16 min. TOI -1.
What are they going to do about that Smith situation? He looks completely lost at times, it`s so hard to describe his effort - can we donate his contract to the Garden of dreams to help the cancer, at least a good cause, and call up Graves or Pionk and send Smith to the minors.

Reactions: Off Sides

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
B. Smith has still Bahamas memories and can`t get enough cocktails this summer - it`s a shame, and tonight with 16 min. TOI -1.
What are they going to do about that Smith situation? He looks completely lost at times, it`s so hard to describe his effort - can we donate his contract to the Garden of dreams to help the cancer, at least a good cause, and call up Graves or Pionk and send Smith to the minors.
I mean, they could try to say that he needs a conditioning stint, but I'd doubt that would fly with the NHL. They wouldn't approve something like that. And he's not passing through waivers.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
yeah true, a good point, I guess we could rest him and still call up one of them, and move him end of the season.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
The Rangers couldn’t even get the puck into Ottawa’s zone for 1:30 straight with Hank pulled.

Embarrassing.

The onl acceptable way to lose this game would’ve been if Anderson was under siege all night. All said, it was a pretty easy night for him. We couldn’t have had more than single digit scoring chances tonight. We scored on our two best looks. What’d he make, 3 tough saves? Struggling goalie on a struggling team. Oh here come the Rangers to stink up the joint.

And the Refs are culpable in Boucher's garbage system working. The amount of obstruction and hooking and picks that his team commit is mid-90’s style. It’s ridiculous and a cancer on hockey. The refs need to make these calls early so the teams don’t get away with it all night. But once again, NHL officiating is inconsistent and horrible. But hey, at least they’re enforcing those face off rules right!

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The Rangers lose two games in an 82 game season, albeit one of the games is a "performance for the ages" and the other was to a bad team, but predictably every post is how horrible this team is. I don't think being a fan is about always thinking your team is great but some of these posts are pathetic.

Reactions: NCRanger

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I still don't understand why Gorton sat on his hands all summer expecting this piss poor offensive depth to work out somehow during a 82 game season. We're still stuck with Staal-Holden, We've overachieved so far this season. It's going to get ugly in the 2nd half.
Because he's not a great GM, or atleast, his offseason was heavily overrated. Giving Smith that contract was a bad decision. Not signing good depth forwards, Stepan trade doesn't help us for this season. Still stuck with a slow, talentless defense for the most part.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
We just dominated a good NJ team and all of a sudden we're terrible. Somehow when we were 13-4 in 17 games and won games against good teams no one praised this team, now they lost two and every post is how horrible they are. Where's the consistency?

Reactions: NCRanger

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
how many teams do we have to complain about the garbage 90s holding system??? Its a system that works now in the nhl. Either adapt or suck. Thats why in the playoffs our offense dies and we draw no penalties. The game is different then

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
The amount of obstruction and hooking and picks that his team commit is mid-90’s style. It’s ridiculous and a cancer on hockey. The refs need to make these calls early so the teams don’t get away with it all night. But once again, NHL officiating is inconsistent and horrible. But hey, at least they’re enforcing those face off rules right!
Where is Mario LeMieux (and his big entitled mouth) when you need him?
Rangers need to find their own way to overcome it. They showed no balls when it came to going in and making things unpleasant for the Senators and their goalie, whoever is in net, Anderson is not invincible.
It's a hard fact. You have to have that aspect to your game.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
The Rangers lose two games in an 82 game season, albeit one of the games is a "performance for the ages" and the other was to a bad team, but predictably every post is how horrible this team is. I don't think being a fan is about always thinking your team is great but some of these posts are pathetic.

It's a really bad loss and very frustrating. Since when are you Mr. Positive?

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
The Rangers couldn’t even get the puck into Ottawa’s zone for 1:30 straight with Hank pulled.

Embarrassing.

The onl acceptable way to lose this game would’ve been if Anderson was under siege all night. All said, it was a pretty easy night for him. We couldn’t have had more than single digit scoring chances tonight. We scored on our two best looks. What’d he make, 3 tough saves? Struggling goalie on a struggling team. Oh here come the Rangers to stink up the joint.

And the Refs are culpable in Boucher's garbage system working. The amount of obstruction and hooking and picks that his team commit is mid-90’s style. It’s ridiculous and a cancer on hockey. The refs need to make these calls early so the teams don’t get away with it all night. But once again, NHL officiating is inconsistent and horrible. But hey, at least they’re enforcing those face off rules right!

And Dallas did it too.

Makes the sport unwatchable at times.

Reactions: Ori

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
We just dominated a good NJ team and all of a sudden we're terrible. Somehow when we were 13-4 in 17 games and won games against good teams no one praised this team, now they lost two and every post is how horrible they are. Where's the consistency?
That's why u look at the totality of the season, which shows the Rangers are at best a mediocre hockey team, who are atrocious defensively, are able to finish at a high rate, but play on their heels way too frequently to be a true contender.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
how many teams do we have to complain about the garbage 90s holding system??? Its a system that works now in the nhl. Either adapt or suck. Thats why in the playoffs our offense dies and we draw no penalties. The game is different then

The problem is that "style" is 100% against the rules that are supposedly in place. It's complaining about things that should get called, and WOULD get called if a team that normally plays up-tempo started picking and obstructing.

One power play in the last two games against teams that are blatantly hooking, holding, obstructing, interfering, and picking is absolutely ridiculous.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It's a really bad loss and very frustrating. Since when are you Mr. Positive?

I'm not but every damn post about how this team sucks is grating. I flip out on game threads and maybe I'd have a different reaction if I watched the second half of the game, but saying how terrible this team is when they were 13-4 in the 17 games before that is ridiculous. No one praised the team when they dominated a good Devils team and went 3-1 against the best division in the NHL the 4 games before the last.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
That's why u look at the totality of the season, which shows the Rangers are at best a mediocre hockey team, who are atrocious defensively, are able to finish at a high rate, but play on their heels way too frequently to be a true contender.

Are they a true contender? Probably not. But "finish at a high rate"? They've done so for like 4 seasons straight at some point that criticism doesn't fly and you have to admit that's the system.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I'm not but every damn post about how this team sucks is grating. I flip out on game threads and maybe I'd have a different reaction if I watched the second half of the game, but saying how terrible this team is when they were 13-4 in the 17 games before that is ridiculous. No one praised the team when they dominated a good Devils team and went 3-1 against the best division in the NHL the 4 games before the last.

The last 2 games have not been good and it's a concern. Tonight was an opportunity for 2 points against a garbage team playing back to back and they blew it. Every point is crucial because the schedule gets tougher and 30 of next 50 games are on road so this loss was painful. BTW I remember reading plenty of posts stating that the rangers played very well against the devils.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
The Rangers aren’t horrible. At least not in my opinion. That’s why I’m so frustrated by these previous two outings. The team is capable of so much more and it’s frustrsting to watch them make tons of mental mistakes and just seem to be lacksidasical. It’s frustrating.

They’re not a horrible team and these two games aren’t indicative of the team they are. They were two horrible performances though. It just shows how you can’t tske any nights off in this league.

Reactions: Siddi and Mac n Gs

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It’s frustrating because this team has shown that they’re one of the best offensive teams in the league, but when the offense isn’t there, they need good defensive structure as a safety net. That’s tough to do when you yield one of the highest rate of chances in the league.

Deleted member 23124

What are they going to do about that Smith situation? He looks completely lost at times, ....

Show me one Ranger d-man who doesn't look lost and/or looks like he knows what he's doing.

Deleted member 23124

Against a Devils team that's been on a slide for some time (which even their fans grudgingly admit).

During that 13-4 run, they continued to play some god-awful hockey for periods at a time. While consistency isn't their strong suit, there have been a few constants: giving up way too many early goals, being trapped in their own end for long periods of time (due mainly to the fact that they haven't got a defensive scheme that's worth a damn), and a head coach who hasn't got a clue what to do when they're not scoring 4-5 goals a game.

Bottom line -- they are a bubble team (as they had been for so many years) that will make the playoffs (giving The Dolt more cash to spend on the Knicks) only to crash and burn in some dramatic fashion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
The problem is that "style" is 100% against the rules that are supposedly in place. It's complaining about things that should get called, and WOULD get called if a team that normally plays up-tempo started picking and obstructing.

One power play in the last two games against teams that are blatantly hooking, holding, obstructing, interfering, and picking is absolutely ridiculous.
As backward as it sounds, getting calls it about drawing them. If the game is hooking holding etc then skate harder make them hook harder so we get penalties. Penalties won’t get called on things that don’t effect the play. Adjust to the way the game is going. One of the worst things we do is not adjusting in game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad