Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Ottawa Senators - December 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeyplayer99

Jul 31, 2005
He's gotten the toughest assignments of any of our forwards and barely gets powerplay time. Frankly, I think is the best he's ever played.

So Stepan getting like 60 points playing against the tough assignments was unacceptable but Hayes on a pace for 32 points is OK. The hate Stepan took here was ridiculous, funny, how this team is not the same without him in the lineup.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Now for the good news, since we're all sober and woken up this morning.

NYR are 4 points out of first place
We're in playoff position
There are no true 'powerhouses' in the NHL right now

If we can fix this, this season is open for the taking in the national hockey league.

If they don't crash and burn. TB is a true powerhouse.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
So Stepan getting like 60 points playing against the tough assignments was unacceptable but Hayes on a pace for 32 points is OK. The hate Stepan took here was ridiculous, funny, how this team is not the same without him in the lineup.

They are sorta the same, quality-wise.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
AV's system is not designed for defense. It is designed for pond hockey and a goalie who is the best player on the ice each and every night.

I've been saying this for months now. The system requires that Hank be the Rangers Defense, and then everyone else play offense.

I can't wait for this guy to be fired. You know, it's sad, if Girardi was actually a 3rd pairing dman, imagine if we had a coach that played him that way? We might even be able to avoid a buyout.

On the bright side, I think a new coach would mitigate a Staal buyout.

Deleted member 23124

While I understand wanting Staal gone, I don't understand the zeal for another buyout. I can only imagine the screaming about having so much dead cap space due to buyouts.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Stepan is much better than Hayes. I think Hayes has done a great job given the level of competition he's playing against, but he's not even close to a 1C at this point. You could argue that Stepan is a 1B/2A, but Hayes, at best is a 2B.

Stepan is better than Hayes, but the team is about the same level of quality as last year.

Reactions: NYR1967

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
While I understand wanting Staal gone, I don't understand the zeal for another buyout. I can only imagine the screaming about having so much dead cap space due to buyouts.
I am a buy-out enthusiast. How dare you judge me?

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY

Except Hayes isn't our 1C or expected to be our 1C.

Funny, how while our actual 1C in Zibby is out, the team is not the same without him in the lineup.

I get the bitterness about Stepan, but we need to move on.

People are just starting to get over Stralman and Duclair.

Reactions: Fvital92

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Now for the good news, since we're all sober and woken up this morning.

NYR are 4 points out of first place
We're in playoff position
There are no true 'powerhouses' in the NHL right now

If we can fix this, this season is open for the taking in the national hockey league.

Tampa is a powerhouse.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I think we would be better off acquiring assets and trying to win next season and beyond. We could potentially have 6 picks in the top 93 if we trade Nash, Grabner, and Holden. Add in a nice amoun of cap room with the cap going up,
And we could have a solid team with alot of assets and cap room.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I think we would be better off acquiring assets and trying to win next season and beyond. We could potentially have 6 picks in the top 93 if we trade Nash, Grabner, and Holden. Add in a nice amoun of cap room with the cap going up,
And we could have a solid team with alot of assets and cap room.

Do this, fire AV, then sign Tavares.

Deleted member 23124

I've been saying this for months now. The system requires that Hank be the Rangers Defense, and then everyone else play offense.

I can't wait for this guy to be fired. You know, it's sad, if Girardi was actually a 3rd pairing dman, imagine if we had a coach that played him that way? We might even be able to avoid a buyout.

On the bright side, I think a new coach would mitigate a Staal buyout.

Saw this in today's Post....Brooks actually agrees:

From Ulf Samuelsson to Jeff Beukeboom to Lindy Ruff, the identity of the assistant coach in charge of defense doesn’t seem to have the slightest effect on the blue line’s propensity for over-pursuit of the puck at the expense of protecting the front of the net. For better or worse, this must be by design of head coach Alain Vigneault.
Yes, J.T. Miller allowed his man, Zack Smith, to get position in front on Ottawa’s 3-1 goal eight seconds into the third period of Wednesday’s 3-2 defeat. But why would Skjei leave the front — while pointing and likely yelling to Miller to pick up the vacated area — to join Shattenkirk in pursuit of Tom Pyatt after the winger had beaten No. 22 down the left side off the opening draw? Skjei tried to block the pass, but had he held his ground, there would not have been an open man to receive it.

This is the rule, not the exception to how the Rangers have defended for years. I just don’t get it.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
The team plays like it has one thing on its mind: Spring the rush. "Defense leads to offense" is lip service from anyone on this team who says it.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Saw this in today's Post....Brooks actually agrees:

From Ulf Samuelsson to Jeff Beukeboom to Lindy Ruff, the identity of the assistant coach in charge of defense doesn’t seem to have the slightest effect on the blue line’s propensity for over-pursuit of the puck at the expense of protecting the front of the net. For better or worse, this must be by design of head coach Alain Vigneault.
Yes, J.T. Miller allowed his man, Zack Smith, to get position in front on Ottawa’s 3-1 goal eight seconds into the third period of Wednesday’s 3-2 defeat. But why would Skjei leave the front — while pointing and likely yelling to Miller to pick up the vacated area — to join Shattenkirk in pursuit of Tom Pyatt after the winger had beaten No. 22 down the left side off the opening draw? Skjei tried to block the pass, but had he held his ground, there would not have been an open man to receive it.

This is the rule, not the exception to how the Rangers have defended for years. I just don’t get it.
This is completely correct but nothing new. Some of us have been commenting on this for years now. Only offense is off of the rush and all of the defense men running around like chickens with their heads cut off. When Lundqvist was counted to be the best in the game, lots of people around here did not care. Let's recall how many loved and cheered and found it such a pleasure to watch after Torts.

Well now, AV finally has the team that he has always wanted. No thought whatsoever on defense and trying for the offense off of the rush all the time. Except now Henke is not at the same level he was to be able to save him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad