New Houston Rockets Owner Open To NHL Team

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Hope they get an expansion team for next year, it'd be wrong to not call them the Aeros. WHA and AHL teams were called that, and cannot think of a better name. But I'd love for their colours to be Light Blue and White. Kind of like the St. Michael's Majors.
Maybe something like this?

200px-HoustonAerosWHA.png

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I think you're probably right in the sense that people would SEE an alignment and their brain would shut off before they hear what it means.

Ultimately, though, decisions are made based on money. Let's say you have the option between two alignments:

2 Conferences, 4 divisions. Adams: BOS-MON-QUE-OTT-TOR-BUF-DET-CBJ
4 vs division (28), 3 vs conference (24), 2 vs other conference (32) = 84

4 Conferences, 8 Divisions. Adams East: BOS-MON-QUE-OTT; Adams West: TOR-BUF-DET-CBJ
6 vs division (18), 4 vs conference (16), 4 vs rival conference (32), 1 vs others (16) = 82

Would Toronto and Montreal say no to the 4-conference alignment?
- SIX MORE road ETZ starts
- HALF the western conference road games
- Montreal gets 3 more total home games vs BOS, QUE, OTT
- Toronto gets 3 more total home games vs DET, BUF and CBJ
- Can't finish 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th anymore.

I think just that last one alone would be worth giving up "being on the same list together." Those are just paper distinctions.

Financially, you're talking about "one more home game" vs "more road ETZ starts, less west coast travel, 3 more home rivalry games."

The only problem with this, Kev, is that they currently have the option to adopt something very very similar with a schedule change and keeping the current divisions. We may not understand why, but the reality is that the BOG seems to favor having all teams play in all others' barns. At least for right now.

Again, I don't know why. But, that is the simple truth. And, until they give us some indication that their thinking on that has changed, there is no reason to think they are going to go to 4-team groups when they expand to Seattle in a few years.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
The only problem with this, Kev, is that they currently have the option to adopt something very very similar with a schedule change and keeping the current divisions. We may not understand why, but the reality is that the BOG seems to favor having all teams play in all others' barns. At least for right now.

Again, I don't know why. But, that is the simple truth. And, until they give us some indication that their thinking on that has changed, there is no reason to think they are going to go to 4-team groups when they expand to Seattle in a few years.

Yeah, I don't understand home and away with everyone as a business decision.

I recognize that dividing the league into small neat groups by geography leads to "segregation" of teams and doesn't foster a "we're one league" feel. More importantly, it was financially stupid to put 4 new teams/markets into a division together in the 6-division era. Geography alone doesn't create rivalries. Breaking up the Southeast and splitting WAS, CAR and TB, FLA into the Patrick and Adams was a very smart move.

But that's "next level" thinking: WAS (transient city of politicians), ATL, CAR, TB, FLA (new teams already in the south) don't have large, fan bases with fans who migrated south to sell tickets. MON, BOS, TOR have more fans in Florida; NYR, PHI, PIT have more fans in Carolina than those new teams.

The desire to have players like Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid visit your arena once a year isn't "next level" thinking.

If you're Colorado and selling 84.3% of your tickets, I understand wanting Crosby and Ovechkin to visit every year so you get those games sold out. But that isn't next level thinking.

Next level thinking is: "that means we also have to host BUF, NJ, NYI, TB, FLA, OTT, FLA, CBJ every year. I'm getting 8 decent games and 8 bad attendance games. In the long run, what's better?"

Now here's the time where someone replies that "I want to see Jack Eichel, Nico Hischier, John Tavares, Nikita Kucherov, Vincent Trocheck, Erik Karlsson, Teuvo Teravainen, and Oliver Bjorkstrand visit every year!" But if that's you, you're probably already in that 84% of sold tickets already. The problem is that those markets don't have 20,000 of you.

I'm not ADVOCATING for 4-4-4-4. I'd much rather have 8-8. But I'd also rather divide up the conferences MLB-style; and for that, a 4-4-4-4 probably works better.

Of course, you can HAVE 8-8 standings and a 4-4-4-4 schedule matrix.

I just want the NHL to go "next level" with thinking on alignment and schedule, create the most marquee games, and limit the non-marquee games.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

As a Full Season Ticket holder, I absolutely love the home and away with the opposite conference. I get to see every single team live and in person each year without spending thousands traveling. Taking this away would be a mistake.

Reactions: Lotusflower

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
As a Full Season Ticket holder, I absolutely love the home and away with the opposite conference. I get to see every single team live and in person each year without spending thousands traveling. Taking this away would be a mistake.

I could not agree more. As an NHL season ticket holder shelling out $40000 in my TPA for 5 years for a pair of tickets to watch NHL hockey. I better see Mathews, Crosby, Ovi, Habs, Bruins, Rangers, Wings and every team in the league at least once a season. I see enough of the Western Conference already. This isn’t the 16 game NFL. It’s great to see all the teams and superstars once a season.

If every team didn’t visit at least once I would seriously re consider my investment in NHL hockey.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Although, they might look too much like the Jets, but I'd like you guys to have the dark and polar blue colours. I mean, the Jets should go back to red, white and blue.

Pretty sure that old logo would be totally unacceptable to the NHL, quite possibly the name itself as well, clean sheet & all. If as I expect and the Coyotes wind up in Houston I fully expect the unimaginative NHL allows the team to retain its name and colors..... An assault to the senses.... HOWEVER.... one can "hope" yes?.... And as such I would like a whole new name and color scheme that doesnt include blue & white or red, black & white... I'd like to see a "name the team" competition & thereafter decide the theme & colors. It should "belong" to Houston. Be unique. Representative of the rich historical & cultural weaves, tapestry of Houston & Texas. its place on the map. I always thought (and lived through it) the "Aeros" pretty much milquetoast, weak branding given the strength & importance of the city, its people, history, and it wasnt good. Could give a Flying Faddoo about its flight & aerospace connections. WAY BIGGER. Go BIG or GO HOME Houston, and certainly Texas.

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland

I recognize that dividing the league into small neat groups by geography leads to "segregation" of teams and doesn't foster a "we're one league" feel. More importantly, it was financially stupid to put 4 new teams/markets into a division together in the 6-division era. Geography alone doesn't create rivalries. Breaking up the Southeast and splitting WAS, CAR and TB, FLA into the Patrick and Adams was a very smart move.

But that's "next level" thinking: WAS (transient city of politicians), ATL, CAR, TB, FLA (new teams already in the south) don't have large, fan bases with fans who migrated south to sell tickets. MON, BOS, TOR have more fans in Florida; NYR, PHI, PIT have more fans in Carolina than those new teams.

The desire to have players like Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid visit your arena once a year isn't "next level" thinking.

If you're Colorado and selling 84.3% of your tickets, I understand wanting Crosby and Ovechkin to visit every year so you get those games sold out. But that isn't next level thinking.

Next level thinking is: "that means we also have to host BUF, NJ, NYI, TB, FLA, OTT, FLA, CBJ every year. I'm getting 8 decent games and 8 bad attendance games. In the long run, what's better?"

Now here's the time where someone replies that "I want to see Jack Eichel, Nico Hischier, John Tavares, Nikita Kucherov, Vincent Trocheck, Erik Karlsson, Teuvo Teravainen, and Oliver Bjorkstrand visit every year!" But if that's you, you're probably already in that 84% of sold tickets already. The problem is that those markets don't have 20,000 of you.

I'm not ADVOCATING for 4-4-4-4. I'd much rather have 8-8. But I'd also rather divide up the conferences MLB-style; and for that, a 4-4-4-4 probably works better.

Of course, you can HAVE 8-8 standings and a 4-4-4-4 schedule matrix.

I just want the NHL to go "next level" with thinking on alignment and schedule, create the most marquee games, and limit the non-marquee games.

What's wrong with 4 conferences? I don't want a 16-team conference, just too many teams in a conference and complicated schedule matrix to begin with. You are asking the Pacific time zone teams to fly to CTZ teams one extra time a year. I am intrigued by 4 conferences idea because it help them with the travels. If you added Houston to Central division or rather, Central Conference, you would see majority of games in CTZ and would go PTZ/MTZ just 8 times a year rather than 12 times a year. You would also reduce air miles by going there 3 times a year to the West Coast because of the extra away game to Pacific Division teams. The same for Pacific visiting Central Division teams 11 or 12 extra games. You would also reduce their air miles as well and to allow 4-4 format for one conference and allow Northern teams to play more games against their closest rival and reduce their travel. This would help the Canucks to play in Seattle more than anything if Arizona relocates to Seattle. 4 games swing from playing extra games from Central Division to just their own division would be about 3000-4000 miles difference. This would enable the Canucks to play under 40,000 miles a year rather than 45,000-50,000 miles. If the average that the Eastern conference get 33,000-37,000 a year, and it's a small improvement as their travel will not change much with new schedule matrix but for Pacific/Central division teams would see their travel to potential 38-39,000 miles a year if they went with 4-4 format in a conference with 6 games each for divisional games, 4 conference games and 2 games for all at same 82-game total.

You can have 4-4 conference and 3 different conference and the concept would still be home/away against every other teams in the league rather than 8-8 conference and it's just too much with extra travel that does not make sense. If I'm the Canucks, I would rather visit Chicago, Dallas once a year, rather than twice a year due to the travel.

If Houston makes it 32 teams, I would rather to have 4 conference with 8 teams each and still maintain a rivalry within the conference in the playoffs and by the time conference winners, you still have 1 v 4 and 2 v 3 for the semi-finals. It would be interesting to see Pacific vs Northeast while Central vs Southeast or Pacific vs Southeast and Central vs Northeast or Central vs Pacific and Northeast vs Southeast and every year, the semi-finals will not remain same. This will give us more match-up possible with this format. I do not want to give Eastern conference too much advantage every year by the time they meet in the final and they gained the upper advantage because of lower miles travels in a playoff year. Best of them all, no wild-card.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
What's wrong with 4 conferences? I don't want a 16-team conference.....

.... :laugh: agreed.... not exactly sure what the the Poster to whom you responded intended to say, but with 16 teams in a conference, East & West, 4 Divisions in total easy enough to separate the wheat from the chaff no?

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
Unless you are in the central. 1st and 2nd round routinely have 8:30 local starts with 8:45 puck drop. Other than travel, there isn't much difference in STL vs CHI or CHI vs LAK.
The NHL should leave that alone and let CTZ start on their 7:00 CDT. It is more important to have their teams starting on time rather than late in the night just for rating. If they had started on time, the rating does not make any difference because fans in the East would go bed early anyways. They may catch 3rd period to unwind from the intensity of their own team's playoff game then off to bed. No way they'd watch 2nd/3rd period if they start 8:45 puck drop. If Central Division teams wanted their own national coverage, they could have this exposure from Round 2 and on and a weekend standalone game. The NHL should designate a certain weekday as a standalone night for Central Division teams with a starting time an hour early.

Reactions: Gnashville

uhlaw97

Jun 8, 2011
Katy, TX
The name should either be the Aeros or the Apollos.

If it's the Aeros, make the logo space themed............you know..........something like a Rocket swooshing around a hockey puck or some such.

If it's the Apollos, then make it an Apollo space capsule doing the same thing.

Along those lines..................check out THIS article, which spells out why Houston is a better expansion choice than either Seattle or Quebec City.

NHL expansion: Houston would be a better option than Quebec or Seattle

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans

I could not agree more. As an NHL season ticket holder shelling out $40000 in my TPA for 5 years for a pair of tickets to watch NHL hockey. I better see Mathews, Crosby, Ovi, Habs, Bruins, Rangers, Wings and every team in the league at least once a season. I see enough of the Western Conference already. This isn’t the 16 game NFL. It’s great to see all the teams and superstars once a season.

If every team didn’t visit at least once I would seriously re consider my investment in NHL hockey.

Right...

Now here's the time where someone replies that "I want to see Jack Eichel, Nico Hischier, John Tavares, Nikita Kucherov, Vincent Trocheck, Erik Karlsson, Teuvo Teravainen, and Oliver Bjorkstrand visit every year!"

But if that's you, you're probably already in that 84% of sold tickets already. The problem is that those markets don't have 20,000 of you.

Both of you confirmed that you're die-hards. Just being on this site probably makes you a die-hard.

That's why I said "I don't understand this as a business decision." Owners want the money from the marquee rivalry games. And they want the big draws of visiting stars like Ovie/Sid.

All of these alignment/schedule issues boil down to "The league is simply too big to retain large groups of rivals, AND play everyone in the league home and away."

So the question becomes "Is it worth it?" Financially? I don't know.

blues10, you specifically mentioned TOR, PIT, WAS, MON, BOS, NYR, DET (Seven of the eight teams I specifically mentioned as good road draws). You didn't list any of the teams I specifically mentioned as having less fan interest; and they include FOUR OF THE TOP FIVE in points in the East right now: Tampa, New Jersey, Columbus and the Islanders.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The name should either be the Aeros or the Apollos.

If it's the Aeros, make the logo space themed............you know..........something like a Rocket swooshing around a hockey puck or some such.

If it's the Apollos, then make it an Apollo space capsule doing the same thing.

Along those lines..................check out THIS article, which spells out why Houston is a better expansion choice than either Seattle or Quebec City.

NHL expansion: Houston would be a better option than Quebec or Seattle

I disagree with that article. So Houston is a bigger city that doesn't that automatically make it the necessarily better option for the NHL. The pacific northwest is untapped for the NHL and i mean 4-5 states view Seattle as their Pro teams Other than soccer which is split between Seattle and Portland and Portland has the NBA. The league has more to gain with a team in Seattle than it necessary does in Houston. Plus i see both cities getting teams. Houston is ready now and that makes it a prime destination for a relocation team leaving Expansion for Seattle.

We also don't know how much the league will be asking for a fee for team #32. Houston's owner may see that as too much for him. He may be a billionaire but it still has to make sense for him deal wise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad