New Houston Rockets Owner Open To NHL Team

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
The NHL would never go away from a 2 conference alignment and go 8 division of 4 teams splitting teams up. They will never split up teams.

I disagree, Tommy. I think, for example, if Arizona is replaced by Seattle AND Houston, that you see:

Pacific: Van, Cgy, Edm, Sea, Ana, LAK, Veg, SJS
Central: Col, Wpg, Min, Chi, StL, Dal, Nas, Hou
with the east as present. And, since that is balanced, then I think you go to a schedule like this:

Home/away with all teams= 62 games.
The other 20 games in your division only.

And, the playoffs are 2 rounds in the division.

And, the Stanley Cup semis are a re-seeded version of the remaining 4 teams.

Literally, this would be 4 conferences. But, NOT 2 divisions in each conference. There is no need for such a divisional split.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
In that case (add Sea and Hou, and lose Arizona), what does your alignment look like?
Or, is the schedule and playoffs you disagree with?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
In that case (add Sea and Hou, and lose Arizona), what does your alignment look like?
Or, is the schedule and playoffs you disagree with?

2 conferences 4 divisions the east remains the same West Pacific: Cal, Van, edm, Seattle, LA, Vegas, ana, SJ Central: Colorado, Minnesota, houston, Dallas, Winnipeg, Chicago, StL, Nashville

top 4 from each division make playoffs seeds are based on conference records. 1 plays 8 2 plays 7 etc. I was never a fan of the current playoff system,

For scheduling. since Eastern conference already has 16 teams just use what the eastern conference has for western conference.

The 2 conference is instead of 4 allows more variety when it comes to playoffs.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I like the 4 conference idea as well. I'd go with this if we're doing the Houston and Seattle in Arizona out idea

4 conferences each conference split into 2 divisions of 4

Western conference

North-West: Calgary, Edmonton, Seattle, Vancouver
South-West: Anaheim, LA, San Jose, Vegas

Central conference

North-Central: Chicago, Colorado, Minnesota, Winnipeg
South-Central: Dallas, Houston, Nashville, St.Louis

Eastern conference

Eastern 1: Boston, Montreal, Ottawa Toronto
Eastern 2: Buffalo, Detroit, Florida, Tampa Bay

Atlantic conference

Atlantic 1: NJ, NYI, NYR, Washington
Atlantic 2: Carolina, Columbus, Philadelphia Pittsburgh

I also like this schedule matrix. Bring on the divisional and inter-conference match ups

Divisional match ups 6 times each (18)
Conference match ups 4 times each (16)
Non conference teams 2 times each (48)

=82

Top 4 in each conference make the playoffs and play each other to determine a conference champ through 2 rounds. After that teams are re-seeded for the final 4 teams.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I disagree, Tommy. I think, for example, if Arizona is replaced by Seattle AND Houston, that you see:

Pacific: Van, Cgy, Edm, Sea, Ana, LAK, Veg, SJS
Central: Col, Wpg, Min, Chi, StL, Dal, Nas, Hou
with the east as present. And, since that is balanced, then I think you go to a schedule like this:

Home/away with all teams= 62 games.
The other 20 games in your division only.

And, the playoffs are 2 rounds in the division.

And, the Stanley Cup semis are a re-seeded version of the remaining 4 teams.

Literally, this would be 4 conferences. But, NOT 2 divisions in each conference. There is no need for such a divisional split.
no, MNN, you have to keep the current format, until you balance the league... this board and even in its previous format/hosting had a lot of those alignments.... all you do is add 1 team since now you have 31, and the city that gets 32 is slotted into a 7 team division much the way Vegas was slotted into Pacific, and voila, 16-16 ,2 conference, 4 division, 8 teams in said division

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The nhl is going going to split up rivals 8 divisons will never happen. And if seattle gets expansion for example they arent playing in central division. In that case coyotes move to central or relocate to houston.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
The nhl is going going to split up rivals 8 divisons will never happen. And if seattle gets expansion for example they arent playing in central division. In that case coyotes move to central or relocate to houston.

I think the NHL would conceivably do a 4-4-4-4 in each conference IF they dumped the whole "play everyone home and away" stupidity and made more conference games.

You can "split" some rivals as long as they still play each other about the same amount. Like, the format LeafalCrusader posted, the split of 4/4 for each "Conference" is 6 games vs your division, and only 4 games against the four teams that used to be in your division.

Well, teams in the same East divisions are playing their division opponents only four times RIGHT NOW! His plan is ADDING BACK two more games against three rivals. So, what's the difference between:

TOR and MON meeting four times in the same division now, finishing 1st and 2nd in the division, meeting in the division finals, winner gets the Metro champ to go to the SCF.

vs

TOR and MON meeting four times in different divisions, each finish first, meet in the Adams Conference final, winner gets the Patrick conference champion to go to the SCF?

The only difference is we get MON-BOS and TOR-BUF six times each instead of four, and they play Vegas, Dallas, Colorado, St. Louis, Nashville and Arizona once instead of twice in order to get those extra six games on the schedule.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
2 conferences 4 divisions the east remains the same West Pacific: Cal, Van, edm, Seattle, LA, Vegas, ana, SJ Central: Colorado, Minnesota, houston, Dallas, Winnipeg, Chicago, StL, Nashville

So, this is the same alignment. I agree completely that the whole "4 teams in a division" idea won't fly. Never will fly.

top 4 from each division make playoffs seeds are based on conference records. 1 plays 8 2 plays 7 etc. I was never a fan of the current playoff system,

For scheduling. since Eastern conference already has 16 teams just use what the eastern conference has for western conference.

The 2 conference is instead of 4 allows more variety when it comes to playoffs.

You're from Seattle. You should be thinking about what a 1v8, etc system does to teams in the PTZ and CTZ. That's the reason for 2 rounds in the 8-team group. Local start times are all good, and the players don't have to fly across time zones. That's the reason for a 1v4, 2v3 playoff system.

As for scheduling, the east currently has:
2 VS Western Conference = 30
3 vs other division = 24
4 vs own division = 28

and that comes out perfectly. But adding the 2 games against the expansion team in the west means you can't use that matrix for an 82 game season, because, for example, your Seattle Metropolitans will be playing Minnesota Wild 3 times, and ALSO, will only have 3 games against, for example, Calgary Flames. You have to lose 2 games within the division to preserve the 82 game season.

So, the options:
1- Negotiate an 84 game with the PA (good luck)
2- Change the matrix

If, as one poster suggested, you change to East only playing West once a year, instead of twice, then a matrix like;
1 vs interconference = 16
3 vs other division = 24
6 vs own division = 42
would make perfect sense.

On balance, I think the BOG like the home/away with everyone, so I think it's not going to disappear (I don't really have a preference. I am trying to read tea leaves here). And, at one point 5 years ago, the BOG floated the 4 conference idea, and the players shot it down over competitive balance and travel inequity concerns. Since the 32 team model is perfectly balanced, the PA won't object, and so I think the BOG goes back to that idea.

Reactions: Llama19

GareFan18

Jan 10, 2014
Kansas City
I think Carolina is the team to watch to move to Houston. rather then the others

Since this is the "business of hockey", I thought I'd throw out why, from a business perspective, the Hurricanes will not relocate.

PNC Arena in Raleigh is owned by the Centennial Authority (essentially the city, county, state). Gale Force Entertainment operates the arena. Who is Gale Force Entertainment? It's the Carolina Hurricanes. Karamanos controls all revenue in the building. Canes play a home game. Karmanos receives revenue. NCSU plays a UNC in basketball -- Karmanos receives revenue.

This is the type of arrangement ALL NHL owners want. We know with 100% certainty an NHL owner would not have this arrangement in Seattle.

Karmanos will sell the team. The new owner will say, "sweet lease deal" and keep the team in Raleigh...no doubt.

Reactions: AD Skinner

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Since this is the "business of hockey", I thought I'd throw out why, from a business perspective, the Hurricanes will not relocate.

PNC Arena in Raleigh is owned by the Centennial Authority (essentially the city, county, state). Gale Force Entertainment operates the arena. Who is Gale Force Entertainment? It's the Carolina Hurricanes. Karamanos controls all revenue in the building. Canes play a home game. Karmanos receives revenue. NCSU plays a UNC in basketball -- Karmanos receives revenue.

This is the type of arrangement ALL NHL owners want. We know with 100% certainty an NHL owner would not have this arrangement in Seattle.

Karmanos will sell the team. The new owner will say, "sweet lease deal" and keep the team in Raleigh...no doubt.

Unless the new owner is Quebecor or Fertitta and have the same deal themselves... Agree on the Seattle part, though.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011

And yet, there is no local buyer stepping forward with enough $$ to purchase the team. If it were that simple, Karmanos would have found a buyer already.

I am not predicting at all a sale for relocation for the Hurricanes. Not at all. But, the benefit of the lease there must not be quite as great as one might think, or someone would purchase the team just for the benefit of the lease.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
And yet, there is no local buyer stepping forward with enough $$ to purchase the team. If it were that simple, Karmanos would have found a buyer already.

I am not predicting at all a sale for relocation for the Hurricanes. Not at all. But, the benefit of the lease there must not be quite as great as one might think, or someone would purchase the team just for the benefit of the lease.
how much of that, though is PK, and how much of that is minority ownership in the corporation though?

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
So, this is the same alignment. I agree completely that the whole "4 teams in a division" idea won't fly. Never will fly.

You're from Seattle. You should be thinking about what a 1v8, etc system does to teams in the PTZ and CTZ. That's the reason for 2 rounds in the 8-team group. Local start times are all good, and the players don't have to fly across time zones. That's the reason for a 1v4, 2v3 playoff system.

Unless you are in the central. 1st and 2nd round routinely have 8:30 local starts with 8:45 puck drop. Other than travel, there isn't much difference in STL vs CHI or CHI vs LAK.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Unless you are in the central. 1st and 2nd round routinely have 8:30 local starts with 8:45 puck drop. Other than travel, there isn't much difference in STL vs CHI or CHI vs LAK.

Good point, Preds.....
It's perhaps true that a Western Conf 1-8 configuration would offer Central teams SOME better start times. It would be at the expense of more travel, however. Unless I am still missing something.

And, I think, if the question is:
What's best? Then, that's worth considering

But, if the question is:
What will happen? Then, I think the writing is on the wall, and it would be a straight 2 rounds in 8-team group playoffs

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think the NHL would conceivably do a 4-4-4-4 in each conference IF they dumped the whole "play everyone home and away" stupidity and made more conference games.

You can "split" some rivals as long as they still play each other about the same amount. Like, the format LeafalCrusader posted, the split of 4/4 for each "Conference" is 6 games vs your division, and only 4 games against the four teams that used to be in your division.

Well, teams in the same East divisions are playing their division opponents only four times RIGHT NOW! His plan is ADDING BACK two more games against three rivals. So, what's the difference between:

TOR and MON meeting four times in the same division now, finishing 1st and 2nd in the division, meeting in the division finals, winner gets the Metro champ to go to the SCF.

vs

TOR and MON meeting four times in different divisions, each finish first, meet in the Adams Conference final, winner gets the Patrick conference champion to go to the SCF?

The only difference is we get MON-BOS and TOR-BUF six times each instead of four, and they play Vegas, Dallas, Colorado, St. Louis, Nashville and Arizona once instead of twice in order to get those extra six games on the schedule.

DO you think the teams would accept that kind of split. Nope. The East west conference alignment isn't set up to where 8 division alignment will ever work for the NHL its teams. And going to a NFL like alignment is practically a no go.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
on hnic, friedman says the relationship between calgary and the flames is poor. in 2 years there will be a huge issue. the league did talk about calgary a lot with the houston rockets owner.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
on hnic, friedman says the relationship between calgary and the flames is poor. in 2 years there will be a huge issue. the league did talk about calgary a lot with the houston rockets owner.

I agree with this timeframe.

Within 2 years, the city will know they are hosting the 2026 games let alone bid for them which will be known next year.

If they're bidding, the arena will have to become a priority and maybe funding from the other levels of government available.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Hope they get an expansion team for next year, it'd be wrong to not call them the Aeros. WHA and AHL teams were called that, and cannot think of a better name. But I'd love for their colours to be Light Blue and White. Kind of like the St. Michael's Majors.

Reactions: BJNT

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I feel like the NHL is going to wait on expansion until all the current problem teams (Coyotes, Flames, Hurricanes, Isles) have their ownership/arenas solved. My guess is 2 of those teams relocate to Seattle and Houston. If one of them is the Flames then the 3rd team relocates to Calgary. Quebec gets the 4th relocation if its needed, if not they get the expansion as their owners appear the most willing to spend big on an expansion fee.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I feel like the NHL is going to wait on expansion until all the current problem teams (Coyotes, Flames, Hurricanes, Isles) have their ownership/arenas solved. My guess is 2 of those teams relocate to Seattle and Houston. If one of them is the Flames then the 3rd team relocates to Calgary. Quebec gets the 4th relocation if its needed, if not they get the expansion as their owners appear the most willing to spend big on an expansion fee.
I doubt you'll see a 17th EASTERN TEAM,JKG, and it may only be one added expansion, but will be deferred.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

So make cities wait and wait and wait like Seattle or Houston and wait even longer "until" all teams don't have any problems. That is not going to happen. NHL is gonna expand again to get it to 32 teams then it'll go to relocating of teams.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I don't think Calgary would get a team immediately .
So make cities wait and wait and wait like Seattle or Houston and wait even longer "until" all teams don't have any problems. That is not going to happen. NHL is gonna expand again to get it to 32 teams then it'll go to relocating of teams.
Were only waiting because Seattle took so long to get their arena together.

Reactions: powerstuck

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
DO you think the teams would accept that kind of split. Nope. The East west conference alignment isn't set up to where 8 division alignment will ever work for the NHL its teams. And going to a NFL like alignment is practically a no go.

I think you're probably right in the sense that people would SEE an alignment and their brain would shut off before they hear what it means.

Ultimately, though, decisions are made based on money. Let's say you have the option between two alignments:

2 Conferences, 4 divisions. Adams: BOS-MON-QUE-OTT-TOR-BUF-DET-CBJ
4 vs division (28), 3 vs conference (24), 2 vs other conference (32) = 84

4 Conferences, 8 Divisions. Adams East: BOS-MON-QUE-OTT; Adams West: TOR-BUF-DET-CBJ
6 vs division (18), 4 vs conference (16), 4 vs rival conference (32), 1 vs others (16) = 82

Would Toronto and Montreal say no to the 4-conference alignment?
- SIX MORE road ETZ starts
- HALF the western conference road games
- Montreal gets 3 more total home games vs BOS, QUE, OTT
- Toronto gets 3 more total home games vs DET, BUF and CBJ
- Can't finish 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th anymore.

I think just that last one alone would be worth giving up "being on the same list together." Those are just paper distinctions.

Financially, you're talking about "one more home game" vs "more road ETZ starts, less west coast travel, 3 more home rivalry games."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad