New Houston Rockets Owner Open To NHL Team

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Inside Sports Business: NHL’s interest in Houston doesn’t mean Seattle quest for a team is on thin ice

Just thought i would post this year since it covers Houston too. Basically the league wants both cities. And since the NHL would rather not have to deal with multiple lame duck seasons until Seattle's new arena gets done and open (pending the dec 4th vote and assuming city does approve it), Houston would be better off as a relocation destination. The article brings up both the coyotes and the Flames as possibilities for Houston. but I am not sure as to why the NHL would really want to move the flames.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Right...

Both of you confirmed that you're die-hards. Just being on this site probably makes you a die-hard.

That's why I said "I don't understand this as a business decision." Owners want the money from the marquee rivalry games. And they want the big draws of visiting stars like Ovie/Sid.

All of these alignment/schedule issues boil down to "The league is simply too big to retain large groups of rivals, AND play everyone in the league home and away."

So the question becomes "Is it worth it?" Financially? I don't know.

blues10, you specifically mentioned TOR, PIT, WAS, MON, BOS, NYR, DET (Seven of the eight teams I specifically mentioned as good road draws). You didn't list any of the teams I specifically mentioned as having less fan interest; and they include FOUR OF THE TOP FIVE in points in the East right now: Tampa, New Jersey, Columbus and the Islanders.

I did mention some good road draws but did go on to say all of the teams in the NHL. Who wouldn't want to see Columbus with the best goalie in the world right now, Stanley Cup favourite Tampa, ROY candidate Hischier or the Islanders? Canes are an exciting team, Sens are coming off a cup finals, and Philly fans are always fun to heckle. Florida with Barkov, and Luongo in the twilight of his career also games of interest.

I want to see all the teams once a season in a home and home. If my NHL season ticket purchase did not include this I would likely not renew at the end of my 4 year TPA.

I want to see the defending Cup winner play against my home team every season.

I am at the game to cheer for the home team but I am also there to watch the best players and teams on the planet. If Ovi, Crosby, Mathews, Kucherov, Hischier, Eichel, etc.... score a hat trick and are named 1st star I have witnessed the best in the world at the top of their games. I am a fan of my team as much as I am a fan of the NHL. I can't say that I enjoyed the 2012/2013 season much as a STH other than the shortened season put more $$$ in my wallet.

Witnessing Stamkos score his 60th against my home team a few season back was awesome!

Perhaps I am in the minority.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I did mention some good road draws but did go on to say all of the teams in the NHL. Who wouldn't want to see Columbus with the best goalie in the world right now, Stanley Cup favourite Tampa, ROY candidate Hischier or the Islanders? Canes are an exciting team, Sens are coming off a cup finals, and Philly fans are always fun to heckle. Florida with Barkov, and Luongo in the twilight of his career also games of interest.

Perhaps I am in the minority.

I don't think you're in the minority of die-hard hockey fans. I'm just saying that it isn't a good business decision for the NHL to be doing that with their inventory, because the die-hard fans like you are probably sticking with your season tickets like you did when only 9 of 15 Eastern Teams visited St. Louis.

The business decision needs to be made on what makes someone who goes to a game or two a year decide to go to four ore more. Or from zero to one game.

Let's say you get one visit from:
2017-18: PHI, TOR, TB, WAS, DET, NYI, CAR, FLA (but not the other half)
2018-19: NYR, MON, PIT, BOS, NJD, CBJ, BUF, OTT (but not the other half)

And replacing those games are one more at home against your division and two visitors from the Smythe (rotating through them until Quebec or Houston joins the league).

That's not going to upset you so much you cancel your tickets. When you're looking at your life schedule vs the Blues schedule, you're half as likely to say "Eh, I'll catch them next year" when it's "eh, I'll wait two years."

The reason it is a sound business decision is because when you look at attendance data over a 7 year span (which I did a while back), the Western Conference sees about 300 more tickets sold for Crosby & Ovechkin coming to town. And about 150 more tickets for NYR, MON, TOR, BOS, PHI, DET.

But they see 500 FEWER tickets sold when OTT, CAR, FLA, TB, CBJ, NJD, NYI, BUF visit.

That's "1500 more" in game games, and "4000 fewer" in eight games, for an average of 156 FEWER tickets sold per game than a team's average attendance overall.

Financially, that effect is worse for business when Western Conference teams come east. Aside from a Winnipeg Jets nostalgia bump their first few years, really the only Western Conference team that bumps up the gate significally has been Chicago. Edmonton this year probably will a bit.

Doesn't it make sense to consider "attendance optimization" when it comes to scheduling? The NHL product basically is nothing more than it's inventory. If they're not trying to maximize the value of that inventory, it's a bad business move.

Especially considering we have 10 or so markets that make people on this site irate over their collection of revenue sharing.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Inside Sports Business: NHL’s interest in Houston doesn’t mean Seattle quest for a team is on thin ice

Just thought i would post this year since it covers Houston too. Basically the league wants both cities. And since the NHL would rather not have to deal with multiple lame duck seasons until Seattle's new arena gets done and open (pending the dec 4th vote and assuming city does approve it), Houston would be better off as a relocation destination. The article brings up both the coyotes and the Flames as possibilities for Houston. but I am not sure as to why the NHL would really want to move the flames.

Because the league likes to menace cities and make them pay when they don't collaborate (which City of Calgary is currently doing). Also because Oilers owners would be estatic if Flames left and in the end, because Hot and Sunny South > Cold Ass North.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Because the league likes to menace cities and make them pay when they don't collaborate (which City of Calgary is currently doing). Also because Oilers owners would be estatic if Flames left and in the end, because Hot and Sunny South > Cold Ass North.

So the oilers would be happy to lose their rivalry and would like to have to travel a little further for a divisional game?

The flames moving to Houston does NOTHING to address the coyotes situation what so ever. That is a much bigger problem and has been going on for a much longer time.

Last edited:

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
So the oilers would be happy to lose their rivalry and would like to have to travel a little further for a divisional game?

The flames moving to Houston does NOTHING to address the coyotes situation what so ever. That is a much bigger problem and has been going on for a much longer time.
I agree with this. Arizona is much worst in term of perspective related to attendance than the Flames even if no new arena. Deal with Arizona first, relocate them to a good market and deal with Florida, Carolina issues as well even if there's new owner. Once all of those agenda is completed, then might as well deal with Flames but until then, if anything happens to the Flames first, we will always view the league as a bias to the Canadian markets than anything else.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I agree with this. Arizona is much worst in term of perspective related to attendance than the Flames even if no new arena. Deal with Arizona first, relocate them to a good market and deal with Florida, Carolina issues as well even if there's new owner. Once all of those agenda is completed, then might as well deal with Flames but until then, if anything happens to the Flames first, we will always view the league as a bias to the Canadian markets than anything else.

The hurricanes aren't going anywhere even under new ownership. Florida issue won't come back up again until the mid 20's

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010

I imagine getting a bigger slice of the TV contract pie would ease the Oilers' crocodile tears over a few lost rivalry games. Ditto a sale price that would potentially further establish precedent on franchise values in the rest of the league and a grand warning shot to all other markets if they don't pony up public cash for new facilities at the beck and call of ownership. To say nothing of the next generation of hockey fans for whom the Flames would be outside of living memory gravitating to the Oilers as the sole regional option. There's plenty of reasons for Edmonton to be very happy at the prospect of Calgary losing it's pro team and only raw nostaliga sentiment arguing the other way.

I mentioned it in the Flames arena thread but Alberta keeping two pro teams afloat for as long as it has is something of a minor miracle. Quebec wasn't able to do it. The wonky situation with the Senators hasn't even made it a flawless slam dunk in Ontario. The direction Alberta is heading for the foreseeable future doesn't exactly foster an environment that can keep that minor miracle continuing indefinitely, and Edmonton being put over a barrel for their arena project makes Calgary the odd man out. Even if the Oilers' owners actually care about the rivalry (they don't) it probably wouldn't matter.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I did expect Houston to be a relocation candidate at some point so nothing going on right now would make sense since bettman isn't going to comment on any team relocating.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I did expect Houston to be a relocation candidate at some point so nothing going on right now would make sense since bettman isn't going to comment on any team relocating.

Well he specifically mentioned Arizona wasn’t a relocation candidate. So YMMV.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Well he specifically mentioned Arizona wasn’t a relocation candidate. So YMMV.

He has said that before and here we are and they are still not even close to be getting a new building done. Bettman won't publicly say about any teams moving. They denied the thrashers relocation to Winnipeg for months when it was already a done deal. A team won't be relocated until it does.

At some point the NHL will pull the plug on the coyotes if they continue to not be able to get a new building done. Bettman also said that coyotes can't remain in glendale forever.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
He has said that before and here we are and they are still not even close to be getting a new building done. Bettman won't publicly say about any teams moving. They denied the thrashers relocation to Winnipeg for months when it was already a done deal. A team won't be relocated until it does.

At some point the NHL will pull the plug on the coyotes if they continue to not be able to get a new building done. Bettman also said that coyotes can't remain in glendale forever.

Right. *IF*

So how about not continuing to prognosticate about our eventual relocation until there is actually some concrete evidence that supports it???

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Right. *IF*

So how about not continuing to prognosticate about our eventual relocation until there is actually some concrete evidence that supports it???

Evidence? Evidence? You want Evidence? Come off it TL. That Franchise is like the Hilary Clinton of the NHL for Gods Sake. How theyve managed to dodge the bullets thus far is one for the record books. The circumstantial evidence (and no, as we arent privy to Barroways bank records, cant subpoena emails & so on) that that team is absolutely on wheels is overwhelming. ... However, as it relates to Seattle & 20/21 or thereabouts, the Coyotes situation will Im certain be long sorted out so no, I dont expect them to be available at that time... Calgary & Ottawa however, now were talkin. ;)

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I find it silly how extensive the alignment discussion has gotten. It's obvious the NHL would go with the path of least resistance and change the division set up as little as possible. The NHL is not going to have divisions of four. If, theoretically, the NHL added Seattle and Houston, and subtracted Arizona, this is very assuredly what the alignment would be.

Attachments

• NHL-Expansion-2020-Map.png
    NHL-Expansion-2020-Map.png
    919.8 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: Aeroforce

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
Right now Houston getting an expansion team is the only viable path for Quebec as the league would need an eastern market to balance things out. Although I'd be perfectly fine with that eastern market not being Quebec.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Right now Houston getting an expansion team is the only viable path for Quebec as the league would need an eastern market to balance things out. Although I'd be perfectly fine with that eastern market not being Quebec.

No one but Seattle is being considered for expansion. They are sticking with 32 teams and Houston and quebec both having to wait for a relocation within their conference only. Western relocation for houston Eastern relocation for quebec.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
No one but Seattle is being considered for expansion. They are sticking with 32 teams and Houston and quebec both having to wait for a relocation within their conference only. Western relocation for houston Eastern relocation for quebec.

There's no guarantee of any team relocating in the near future. If you really want a team better pony up and pay the NHL's asking price.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Evidence? Evidence? You want Evidence? Come off it TL. That Franchise is like the Hilary Clinton of the NHL for Gods Sake. How theyve managed to dodge the bullets thus far is one for the record books. The circumstantial evidence (and no, as we arent privy to Barroways bank records, cant subpoena emails & so on) that that team is absolutely on wheels is overwhelming. ... However, as it relates to Seattle & 20/21 or thereabouts, the Coyotes situation will Im certain be long sorted out so no, I dont expect them to be available at that time... Calgary & Ottawa however, now were talkin. ;)

:sueme:

Know what you're getting at..... but as of right now until there's an announcement of some sort to the contrary. Arizona is staying put. :razz:

Reactions: Killion

uhlaw97

Jun 8, 2011
Katy, TX
Bettman's commitment to a location that has never embraced a team and where a team has gone bankrupt in the past is hysterical.

If he had half a shred of sense..............he'd be encouraging a move to Houston and its NHL ready arena.

Reactions: Llama19

WaltPoddubny

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2017
Bettman's commitment to a location that has never embraced a team and where a team has gone bankrupt in the past is hysterical.

If he had half a shred of sense..............he'd be encouraging a move to Houston and its NHL ready arena.
Fascinating. You should discuss the possibility of a team relocating to Houston more.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

The NHL is not going to say publicly about a team moving. A relocation doesn't happen until it does. Yesterday it was about opening the expansion process for Seattle not relocation cause NHL had room for Seattle with out moving anyone. The coyotes or any other team at risk for relocation is safe for the time being until there is a new market appearing that wants a team like Houston.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
There's no guarantee of any team relocating in the near future. If you really want a team better pony up and pay the NHL's asking price.

You can't ignore the possibility of a relocation could happen. At some point the coyotes issue has to be resolved period and if it takes a relocation to get it resolved then that's what it takes. They are save for right now cause NHL had 31 teams and wanted 32 teams.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9

I agree and disagree, I don't want to see any fans lose their team, but I'm not sure the yotes can survive in Arizona. That's not to say that I don't think Hockey can work in Phoenix, I think it can, provided it has good stable ownership and an Arena in the right part of the area, but I do worry that coyotes brand has poisoned the wells in Arizona (I'd love to be proven wrong) If the yotes did move to Houston, I'd would still like to see the NHL back in Arizona... but it would need to be managed alot better than it has to this point. I would like to Arizona succeed (except of course when they play my Knights) I'm just not convinced that they yotes are the vehicle to accomplish it. (Prove me wrong yotes)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad