New Houston Rockets Owner Open To NHL Team

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Would you please calm down? Don't you think that the Coyotes are in a more dire situation than the Flames?

Bettman is threatening Calgary but the NHL NEEDS Calgary. As time goes, good hockey markets will be hard to come by. The Coyotes will move in the next five years. The Flames aren't going anywhere.
the nhl does not need any of the smaller canadian markets in truth.

Reactions: Killion

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
The net result would be 16 West/ 15 East. Are you assuming an expansion to Seattle?

Well that would definitely put some blockades for a Seattle expansion, not that it would prevent it.
The league uses arguments based on the location, not on rationale. An unbalanced conference in West to allow Seattle to exist is Okay. The same thing in the East to allow Quebec to exist is utmost outrage.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
I think it makes sense for Houston, Seattle, and Quebec City to all end up with teams eventually. I could see a situation where Arizona relocates to either Houston or Seattle, and then the other one gets an expansion team. As for Quebec, maybe Florida or Carolina relocate there. If Florida was to relocate to Quebec, Arizona to Houston/Seattle, and Houston/Seattle expand, I think something like this would make sense:

Eastern Conference
Division I: TOR, MTL, OTT, QUE
Division II: NYR, NYI, NJD, BOS
Division III: CAR, WSH, PIT, PHI
Division IV: DET, BUF, TBL, CBJ

Western Conference
Division V: EDM, CGY, VAN, SEA
Division VI: SJS, ANA, LAK, VGK
Division VII: WPG, MIN, CHI, COL
Division VIII: STL, NSH, DAL, HOU

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
KGL, it only makes sense if cities can actual support the clubs with paying fans in the seats. Houston, Seattle and Quebec, no guarantees their is enough support. Of course we might never know until there is a team in those cities. And before people jump on me for questioning Quebec, I would love Quebec to have a team. Gee, I can remember the WHA. But a small population base and a small business base makes me think there might not be long term paying customers.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
ASIT's NHL format post Houston NHL expansion

Prince Of Wales Conference

Hart (5)- Tampa Bay Carolina Florida Washington Columbus
Adams (6)- Detroit Toronto Ottawa Montreal Buffalo Boston
Patrick (5)- NY Rangers NY Islanders New Jersey Philadelphia Pittsburgh

Clarence Campbell Conference

Ross (6)- Los Angeles Anaheim San Jose Arizona Las Vegas Colorado
Smythe (5)- Vancouver Edmonton Calgary Winnipeg Minnesota
Norris (5)- Chicago St. Louis Nashville Dallas Houston

Playoff format utilizes non-divisional format 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5

Seeding format

1 Division winner by points
2 Division winner by points
3 Division winner by points
4 Ranked by points outside of division
5 Ranked by points outside of division
6 Ranked by points outside of division
7 Ranked by points outside of division
8 Ranked by points outside of division

- I know there are weaknesses in my design (particularly in Minnesota's divisional placement) but it comes solely as a consequence of Minnesota's geographic proximity to Canada. I know they're not close but there truly is no other choice. Are we seriously gonna book 4 and a half hour flights from Houston Texas to Edmonton Alberta or are we gonna cut in half by booking a flight to St. Paul Minnesota?

In any case I feel like this would be the best thing to do. The NBA and MLB work great in a 6 division league and there's no reason for the NHL to not go back to this post western expansion

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Would you please calm down? Don't you think that the Coyotes are in a more dire situation than the Flames?

Bettman is threatening Calgary but the NHL NEEDS Calgary. As time goes, good hockey markets will be hard to come by. The Coyotes will move in the next five years. The Flames aren't going anywhere.
We don't know if the coyotes are a bad market though, they've been destined to fail from the get go. I hope they get their arena inside Phoenix. I am positive they will get attention there.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
We don't know if the coyotes are a bad market though, they've been destined to fail from the get go. I hope they get their arena inside Phoenix. I am positive they will get attention there.
Yup when the Coyotes were in Phoenix, the only issue was sightlines. If anything, I hope the fiasco ends the notion of the suburban arena working for indoor sports.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
They're not going to pay an expansion fee.

It'll be the Coyotes or Flames moving. Frankly if the Flames refuse to work with the city on a plan that doesn't just gift them hundreds of millions of dollars with no chance of recouping any of it, they can leave. The economy in this city is just starting to stabilize a bit. This is not the time to piss away a huge chunk of change for a toy.

Calgary has shown they're a strong sports market. Someone will take advantage of the void left by the Flames in no time and will negotiate a fair deal for a new arena or stadium.

Frankly I'd be more excited about an MLS team anyways :D

Last edited:

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
None apart from the fact that the owners are demanding public dough.

Only candidate for relocation right now are Coyotes.

I'll add Carolina on that relocation list. Who knows what Karmanos will do. I also think Carolina could be a candidate for Houston because Nashville could quite easily be the replacement in the Eastern Conference. Further improving Bettman's popularity in Quebec.

And yeah, Houston will be used for all it's worth by Ken King. Problem for him is that Fertitta will probably only allow a team in the building if he owns it himself. And King's not going to sell for a price Fertitta will be ok with paying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad