New GM Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
After the next time I talk to my account rep I may get invited back. Or maybe not.

How do you feel about the season tix you've committed for this season? Won't be easy for you to sell off with what's going on. Hopefully you didn't buy a full season's worth.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Like that idea. Someone cerebral, who played the game, has built a resume -- why can't we have that? Someone who is actually aware of what is going on in this century.

Smith looks like a very good candidate to me but working in the NHL may not be appealing to him. I'd sure like to see what he could accomplish on behalf of the miserable Habs.

Isn't a full generation without a Cup or even a Final berth long enough?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Smith looks like a very good candidate to me but working in the NHL may not be appealing to him. I'd sure like to see what he could accomplish on behalf of the miserable Habs.

Isn't a full generation without a Cup or even a Final berth long enough?

Just having to go through this when it wasn't so long ago that we sank in the 17-18 season -- it's still so fresh that it just makes you realize that if ownership won't do what it takes, then who will? We're stuck.

Reactions: groovejuice

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
So what would a firing even look like?

Let's assume Molson has decided - ok, it's time to move on. What does he do? What should he do?

Fire Bergevin immediately, and hire someone on an interim basis to give him time to find the right candidate? Does he also fire the coach and do interim coach, with new gm hiring new coach?
Does he fire Bergevin and right away name a successor?
Does he take 1-2 weeks to find a candidate - and only then fire Bergevin?

I find myself wondering how the process would even work.

Reactions: WickedPegJets

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So what would a firing even look like?

Let's assume Molson has decided - ok, it's time to move on. What does he do? What should he do?

Fire Bergevin immediately, and hire someone on an interim basis to give him time to find the right candidate? Does he also fire the coach and do interim coach, with new gm hiring new coach?
Does he fire Bergevin and right away name a successor?
Does he take 1-2 weeks to find a candidate - and only then fire Bergevin?

I find myself wondering how the process would even work.

Molson has to hire an advisor to interview the next GM... like he did with Savard in 2012. If he wants to make a change for the short term to buy himself time to find that advisor, fire Bergevin and give the interim job to Timmins. That's the easiest move if he wants to make change (big if).

Do you have confidence in Molson doing interviews for our new GM? I don't! That's going to take longer than two week!

Reactions: FedorTyutin

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Molson has to hire an advisor to interview the next GM... like he did with Savard in 2012. If he wants to make a change for the short term to buy himself time to find that advisor, fire Bergevin and give the interim job to Timmins. That's the easiest move if he wants to make change (big if).

Do you have confidence in Molson doing interviews for our new GM? I don't! That's going to take longer than two week!

Yeah i'm thinking interim gm/coach as well. And I agree - Molson himself maybe shouldn't be the one in charge. We should hire a president of hockey ops. I have faith he will too this time around.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah i'm thinking interim gm/coach as well. And I agree - Molson himself maybe shouldn't be the one in charge. We should hire a president of hockey ops. I have faith he will too this time around.

Lets hope he realizes this sooner rather than later. Change his title to CEO and in charge of the business sides of things where he works with a savy president who he can work with in terms of business but let him be in charge of hockey operations. This is step one and we need to hire the right guy. This will take time.

Said this before and I know a lot of people will hate this idea but I'd hire Roy to be president. Put him at the top and he's the type that needs control. I think he knows what it takes to build a winner and he has won everywhere he has been. Roy bringing the cup back to Montreal would be a great story and I think he does what it takes. Who was right between Roy and Sakic when Roy wanted Sakic to sign Radulov? :sarcasm:. Roy left afterwards cause Sakic said no. I bet you Roy as our president would of told his GM to make sure Radulov stays or you are fired! That's the kind of president I want.

If not Roy, who? Don't tell me someone with a nice smile and looks good in a suit! That's not the answer IMO.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I dont get all the articles clamoring for MB to do something to turn it around, he shouldn't get to.

He started in 2012. It's almost 2020. He's had enough time, this is his team.

He hired Therrien + Lefebvre and sat idly by as they ruined prospect after prospect.
He moved Subban for Weber in a 'win-now' move that also culminated in losing Radulov over pittance, letting Markov walk in a humiliating fashion, and trading our best prospect for an inconsistent top 6 forward.
His 'win-now' move resulted in a stone-cold offensive performance in round 1, then consecutive play-off misses since.
He overpaid Carey Price and gave him no help.
He swung out hard on Alzner.
He refused to move Byron when he could be sold for value.
He has not acquired additional 1st round picks.
He's overseen some of the worst records in Canadiens history.
He has never selected a direction.

This is just some of his terrible work.. now imagine where we would be if he didn't "win all his trades",

FedorTyutin

Jan 10, 2019
I figure when you have to take care of the language notion, in order not to bring up the Randy Cunneyworth situation again, you get very limited... I can't think of an available french speaking GM or coach.

As a GM, seriously, I can only see some kind of surprise candidate such as Bonby Smith, about whom we speculate on this thread.

As coach, is Ducharme ready to jump in? Bouchard is doing great with kids down there, maybe keep him to whole season there, let him gain exp? Or the cycle continues and Carbo gets back. Haha. I can only think of Bob Hartley, but I don't know if a GM would go in that direction, he failed to prove he was still the man of the situation with the Flames.

So, I hope I learn of some guys availability while discussing with you, but I guess the replacement options are pretty limited and that a change would not bring any more success.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
dj4ljknbddz21.png

Dude you are OVERqualified.

I speak french so I am actually more qualified than at least 90% of all current NHL GMs.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
How do you feel about the season tix you've committed for this season? Won't be easy for you to sell off with what's going on. Hopefully you didn't buy a full season's worth.

I am pretty pissed but what can you do? I knew the team would be bad going in. Thankfully I have sold everything till January so I made most of my money back already, may be around 1k in the hole which is better than I expected honestly.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Lets hope he realizes this sooner rather than later. Change his title to CEO and in charge of the business sides of things where he works with a savy president who he can work with in terms of business but let him be in charge of hockey operations. This is step one and we need to hire the right guy. This will take time.

Said this before and I know a lot of people will hate this idea but I'd hire Roy to be president. Put him at the top and he's the type that needs control. I think he knows what it takes to build a winner and he has won everywhere he has been. Roy bringing the cup back to Montreal would be a great story and I think he does what it takes. Who was right between Roy and Sakic when Roy wanted Sakic to sign Radulov? :sarcasm:. Roy left afterwards cause Sakic said no. I bet you Roy as our president would of told his GM to make sure Radulov stays or you are fired! That's the kind of president I want.

If not Roy, who? Don't tell me someone with a nice smile and looks good in a suit! That's not the answer IMO.

Winning would be fantastic - being entertained is also very important. I agree Roy is a big winner and maybe he would help us win - but at the very least it would be very entertaining to follow, and i'd at least be up for that.

Roy does seem pretty stubborn and I'm not sure if he'd do good in the role of president. Seems like the type who would never admit fault - and keep going down a path that's wrong just to prove he's right - which could be a problem when shit hits the fan. Also - president is mostly a role where the person sits idly by and watches other make decisions. Could Roy have the self-control to hire a GM, and watch him do all the trades, some of which he likes/some of which he likes less - without stepping in and saying "no - let's do it my way. Here - i'll take over as GM". I do like Roy and wouldn't mind seeing him in Montreal - but i'm not sure president is the best role for him.

I'd be shocked if Molson didn't hire a president of hockey ops. He couldn't before - when he didn't fire Bergevin. It's akward to keep Bergevin and say "hey i'll keep you - but i'm creating a new position for a boss to oversee you". When the GM goes - the new position is created and someone (not Molson) will assume the role of president.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
If Pacioretty, Subban, or Galchenyuk were still here they'd be getting blamed for the losing streak. But all of the scapegoats of the MB defenders are gone.

Reactions: groovejuice

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
A Patrick Roy hire would not only excite the fan base to a fervor not felt in over two decades, but it will drastically rally the troops to play like Stanley Cup contenders. Roy will not be content with just being the head coach, he would likely want the GM position as well because he then gets to draft junior players.

Reactions: Kimota

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Winning would be fantastic - being entertained is also very important. I agree Roy is a big winner and maybe he would help us win - but at the very least it would be very entertaining to follow, and i'd at least be up for that.

Roy does seem pretty stubborn and I'm not sure if he'd do good in the role of president. Seems like the type who would never admit fault - and keep going down a path that's wrong just to prove he's right - which could be a problem when **** hits the fan. Also - president is mostly a role where the person sits idly by and watches other make decisions. Could Roy have the self-control to hire a GM, and watch him do all the trades, some of which he likes/some of which he likes less - without stepping in and saying "no - let's do it my way. Here - i'll take over as GM". I do like Roy and wouldn't mind seeing him in Montreal - but i'm not sure president is the best role for him.

I'd be shocked if Molson didn't hire a president of hockey ops. He couldn't before - when he didn't fire Bergevin. It's akward to keep Bergevin and say "hey i'll keep you - but i'm creating a new position for a boss to oversee you". When the GM goes - the new position is created and someone (not Molson) will assume the role of president.

I'm not drooling over Roy but I do think the bad reputation he has is not quite right. I'm sure he still has a lot of fire in him but at 54 today, I think he has learned a lot about himself over the years. Still think he can loose his cool but I rather have that passion to win vs a management that is meh and accepts loosing over a long span. Roy would keep everybody honest and busting their ass off below him so that's why I think he might be a good fit at president. He has some experience in owning/operating the Ramparts as well so I think he might be an option. I also think he won't just be a puppet to Molson which would be a good thing.

Last thing we need is to hire a guy with a nice smile/nice suit who just wants a pay check and does what Molson wants. So I bring up Roy but open to other options which is why I say, if not Roy, who?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
A Patrick Roy hire would not only excite the fan base to a fervor not felt in over two decades, but it will drastically rally the troops to play like Stanley Cup contenders. Roy will not be content with just being the head coach, he would likely want the GM position as well because he then gets to draft junior players.

- Molson as CEO (focuses on business)
- Roy as President (in charge of hockey operations and is the bridge from Timmins to Molson)
- Timmins at GM
- Ducharme as coach

Roy and Timmins work together and I think Timmins is a good fit for Roy. Timmins does not have a ego and he is patient.

I do not support giving Roy both President and GM. If he wants that, I say no.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I want our next GM to lose a trade or two but have a cohesive long term vision for the team.

What? That's mediocre expectations. You want the GM to lose a trade or two? Come on man. We do have a long term vision but it started later in Bergevin's tenure. Problem is I'm not so sure he's the guy that takes us to the next level and so many are unhappy with him which is a black cloud following us around. This is why I would support a management shuffle but we need to be smart about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad