New GM Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Not sure if serious or not - but does it matter? He's as accomplished as they come in the hockey world - and i think past education matters not at all at this stage in his career.

Really? Do you know if he can read? Is being able to read important at all in this stage of his career?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Patrick Roy has zero GM experience, Martin Brodeur would be a better choice. But either would need a President to keep them in line. Lombardi could even out A fiery Roy.

It's false to think that Brodeur has more management experience than Roy. Roy was assistant GM with the Avs when he was coach and he actually was Owner/GM/Coach of the Rampart when they won the memorial cup.

I don't hate Brodeur as a option but I also don't get the Roy hate. He just wants to win and what's the problem with that? He left the Avs cause he wanted Sakic to go after Radulov... was he wrong? He left the Habs as our goalie cause he had Houle as our GM and Tremblay as his coach. Can you blame him?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Roy can’t even have success in the QMJHL with a team that have more money then the others ... Not because your where a great player that your a great management guy. At this point we could have a duo Roy GM Gretzky HC.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I'm actually shocked. I know Molson is ...... blank. But 8 games? That's just crazy. If Bergevin had any sort of the success with the team he's' built, I'd understand. But he hasn't. At all. He had a little success with the team previous management built and then... nothing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Roy can’t even have success in the QMJHL with a team that have more money then the others ... Not because your where a great player that your a great management guy. At this point we could have a duo Roy GM Gretzky HC.

No salary cap in the Q. The only advantage would be scouting revenue but you need the picks to draft well.

I would not like Roy as GM but I would like him as President of hockey operations and he hires a day/day guy to do the GM duties. Roy would be big picture strategy planing and hold people accountable.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm actually shocked. I know Molson is ...... blank. But 8 games? That's just crazy. If Bergevin had any sort of the success with the team he's' built, I'd understand. But he hasn't. At all. He had a little success with the team previous management built and then... nothing.

Don't be shocked, put yourself in Molson's shoes. Who's hiring the next GM if he fires Bergevin? It's Molson and he is not qualified. Making a move like this in season would be a disaster cause he likely makes a bad decision on who the next GM is.

Molson could fire Bergevin and just give the interim job to Timmins though.

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
Don't be shocked, put yourself in Molson's shoes. Who's hiring the next GM if he fires Bergevin? It's Molson and he is not qualified. Making a move like this in season would be a disaster cause he likely makes a bad decision on who the next GM is.

No thanks rather they just clean house, Timmins draft record is not great in my opinion.

ItzaGreat

How's your Mario impression?
Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3

But Timmi doesn't speak roteux!

Reactions: NotProkofievian

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Popular name but what makes you think he does better than Bergevin? No tax advantage in Montreal remember. I'm not a Brisebois hater but I would rather have Roy as President and Timmins as his GM.

We need someone like Gainey to steer this ship again and be the face of our management. Give it to Roy and have Timmins be his GM or have Roy hire a GM. Imagine Roy and Brodeur working together?
I don't care about Brisebois more than you personally, but the other poster thought they were discussing Patrice.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

No one could be worse. I'd take you in place of Marcy.

ItzaGreat

Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
1) Molson steps down as president.

2) Stephane Quintal is named President of Hockey Operations.

3) profit!!!!

ItzaGreat

Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
I don't care about Brisebois more than you personally, but the other poster thought they were discussing Patrice.

Happens all the time...and these are the people who consider themselves hockey masterminds...

Julien Brisebois, current gm of the Lightning, former Syracuse Gm.

UdM guy, started as assistant manager here in Montreal.

So far has won two calder cups and a presidents trophy...

Not Patrice Brisebois..

Reactions: groovejuice

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
If you want to do what the Leafs organization did then hire Stephane Quintal as President of Hockey Operations. He's currently Senior VP of Player Safety at NHL offices. Same position Shanahan held before leaving for the Leafs.
He's one of the most logical names given our limited pool. I'm still somewhat skeptic though. They are obviously different individuals but Bergevin and Quintal are very alike in terms of player background... Journeyman D with not a ton of education. Although Chiarelli proved that education doesn't mean much, I was hoping we'd go for someone more cerebral a la BriseBois. I'd be curious to see Joel Bouchard as GM though. Would be interesting. As passionnate as a guy like Roy but with a better feel for the game IMO.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Bergevin or the new GM need to decide if they are building around Price for a chance at a Cup.

or

If they are rebuilding with youth. If it is truly this option then they need to let them play and loosen up the ropes on them.

But I think it is actually the build around Price scenario. Hence offer sheet to Aho, so next up will be a shot at Benn imo.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

right. not only that, the team isn't really underperforming to a surprising degree.
this is what you might expect from this roster.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
I really hope they don't hire Roy or a similar candidate, it would mean the Habs have given up questing the cup, a publicity stunt. Management needs to do their homeworks this time, a letter of reccomendation from Savard isn't nearly enough on the workplace anymore, the Canadiens need to stop acting like the mafia! Surprise me with a name I don't know, a thinker; not a former hockey player. Best thing would be Molson selling, it will happen eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad