New GM Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Last time there was an opening, I seem to recall that the organization reached out to Jim Nill, who basically rejected the habs.

So maybe there is a little shift in terms of philosophy where the idea now is to hire the best possible candidate, rather than the best possible french speaking candidate, or at least the possibility of doing so has some merit within the organization.

What I still don't get, assuming they were seriously considering Nill -- is how come they weren't able to draw more candidates similar to Nill? How did they ever end up choosing a profile like Bergevin which was sorely lacking on a lot of levels over an experienced, savvy GM who wouldn't need to learn on the job? If the organization was indeed making progress in terms of being forward-looking, the gap between who they interviewed and who they hired doesn't point to a progressive mindset.

And look at how ownership has handled Bergevin since his hiring -- showering him with a far too lavish a contract extension and rubber-stamping all of his decision-making, including the jumbo jet baggage of bloated contracts that Bergevin gifted to his friends. Bergevin made his harem so expensive that they have become too expensive to dismantle. It's the ultimate fail-safe -- built by incompetence, supported by greater incompetence.

Reactions: Pickles

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
What I still don't get, assuming they were seriously considering Nill -- is how come they weren't able to draw more candidates similar to Nill? How did they ever end up choosing a profile like Bergevin which was sorely lacking on a lot of levels over an experienced, savvy GM who wouldn't need to learn on the job? If the organization was indeed making progress in terms of being forward-looking, the gap between who they interviewed and who they hired doesn't point to a progressive mindset.

And look at how ownership has handled Bergevin since his hiring -- showering him with a far too lavish a contract extension and rubber-stamping all of his decision-making, including the jumbo jet baggage of bloated contracts that Bergevin gifted to his friends. Bergevin made his harem so expensive that they have become too expensive to dismantle. It's the ultimate fail-safe -- built by incompetence, supported by greater incompetence.

My thinking is that they haven't fully embraced the idea of a non french speaking GM, but they are closer to embracing the idea than the pre Geoff Molson era. Quite frankly, it is a little confusing to me after the Cunneyworth fiasco at the HC level, but maybe they don't feel the same pressure to hire a french speaker as GM. I don't even think that's logical though TBH.

I don't know man. At the end of the day, I'm not sure what they are thinking in the boardroom, and I still fully expect the next guy to be french speaking, although if its Brisebois, he might just be the best candidate regardless.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I don't profess to have full knowledge of all the candidates. But, from what I've read about BriseBois, his pedigree is impressive. He's a young, forward-thing, highly cerebral management talent, who has honed his skills over several years, including time already spent within the Habs organization. He'd be a tough candidate to set aside purely on a demonstrated competence basis.

He's also in an organization that puts a huge emphasis on skill, speed and playing exciting hockey.

Now of course MB came from a team that had high end talent so I thought that was a good thing.

First and foremost we need a GM to break our 22 years worth of D culture. I have serious doubts about our current coach in that respect, but step 1 is a new GM.

Reactions: Pickles

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Until we get the best minds in hockey running the team we're going to be stuck with learning pains and "mediocre results" like we've had for the last 30 years. Yes I include that miracle year in 1993 as a mediocre as it took a couple miracles to win it all.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I didn't want to start a new GM thread since it isn't so hot of a topic. But I wanted to talk about what Bergevin has done since last year's humiliating playoff defeat.

He overhauled the defense through free agency. He acquired a #1 centre, and signed him long term. A guy who wanted to play in Montreal.

He acquired AHL vets Froese and Taormina to help his farm team develop. Froese even surpassed McCarron and Mitchell to get a look.

His training camp roster had several warts.

He traded Redmond, a d-man who wasn't going to make the team, for a forward Deslauriers, who is playing every night, with pride. He traded one of his bad acquisitions from last year, who would have been a vet on the Rocket competing with other vets who were on the roster for playing time.

He gave young bubble players, Hudon and DeLaRose room to grow and contribute.

He bought out his unnecessary signing Streit, and lost Hemsky within 10 games, predictably.

The team survived, struggled early to find chemistry, and suffered from inconsistency from several players, including Carey.

Injuries have been persistent and notable, but the team had navigated them. Lindgren won big games, even waiver trash Niemi earned the team a point.

Players coming back, with Jerabek's emergence have the defense improving.

You could see a defense of

Mete-Weber
Alzner-Petry
Schlemko-Jerabek

With Morrow and Benn as reserves

And that does not look so weak anymore in front of good goaltending.

The forward group is gelling.

Special teams still need work, and synchronization, but that may come with chemistry. Jerabek could be a PP asset if he gets a chance. I honestly believe Plekanec should be an early contender for Selke nomination, though the sports writers avoid his type and the market for that type of award.

The trade for Cracknell probably spells the end for Froese in Montreal. With a healthy Lehkonen, I'd expect to see a 4th line of Deslauriers-DeLaRose-Lehkonen, with Cracknell able to supplant DeLaRose or Deslauriers. Carr is pushing for a spot. Sherbak is knocking on the door.

Now hopefully Bergevin does not make the same mistake as last year of patching his lineup with character, that hindered talent. The holes on this team are greatly exaggerated. I think the top priority is to increase centre depth. Perhaps not imminently, but also not reactionary, or too late. Mc Carron is likely available for the right price.

With the possibility of both Poehling and Bitten joining the Rocket next year, I think he has the room to exchange one of his 2nds for sure.

Players that may come available at that price or less include Hanzal, Spezza, Strome, Filppula, Vermette, Zach Smith. I think Max Domi may command more but he may have a price too. As of now, Bergevin, with the team's resurgence doesn't need to hit the panic button.

I am not nominating him for GM of the year, I think McPhee, Poile, and Shero are the contenders, but I think there can be some positive things said about the moves he has made this year, and leading into this year. Not too positive though, always good to have fan pressure,

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Bergy will take this win streak as a reason not to make moves, instead of failing to realize the team will go into a 6 game winless tailspin again. For the love of god get us a new GM

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Bergy will take this win streak as a reason not to make moves, instead of failing to realize the team will go into a 6 game winless tailspin again. For the love of god get us a new GM

Pacioretty Danault Gallagher
Byron Drouin Galchenyuk
Lehkonen Plekanec Shaw
Carr Hudon Scherbak
Deslaurier De la Rose Froese

Schlemko Weber
Alzner Petry
Jerabek Benn
Morrow (Mete at World Juniors)
(Plus Juulsen and Lernout)

Price
Montoya (Niemi, Lindgren)

That's a pretty solid lineup.

If MB can trade for another UFA and then sign him (like Petry), especially a center, we'll be in good shape.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

2012 was an awful year to find coaches and GMs. Anglo or franco.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Stéphane Quintal occupe présentement les fonctions d'adjoint au préfet de discipline de la LNH, mais son but ultime est de travailler pour une équipe du circuit.

Intronisé mercredi au Temple de la renommée de la LHJMQ, l'ancien défenseur des Canadiens a d'ailleurs glissé un commentaire intéressant concernant ses projets d'avenir lors d'une entrevue à Dave Morissette en direct.

«Ce n’est pas un secret que j’aimerais ça un jour travailler pour une équipe, mais pour l’instant, pour des raisons familiales, j’en ai pour quelques années à rester dans les environs.

«Le seul endroit où je pourrais aller travailler, ce n’est pas très loin de chez nous», a-t-il lancé le sourire aux lèvres en guise d'indice.

source: TVA Sport

So he says that he want to stay with the NHL for families reason but the only place he would go is a place close to his house with a smile

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I don't profess to have full knowledge of all the candidates. But, from what I've read about BriseBois, his pedigree is impressive. He's a young, forward-thing, highly cerebral management talent, who has honed his skills over several years, including time already spent within the Habs organization. He'd be a tough candidate to set aside purely on a demonstrated competence basis.

But can he tell jokes while flexing his biceps to make Molson gush?

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Stéphane Quintal occupe présentement les fonctions d'adjoint au préfet de discipline de la LNH, mais son but ultime est de travailler pour une équipe du circuit.

Intronisé mercredi au Temple de la renommée de la LHJMQ, l'ancien défenseur des Canadiens a d'ailleurs glissé un commentaire intéressant concernant ses projets d'avenir lors d'une entrevue à Dave Morissette en direct.

«Ce n’est pas un secret que j’aimerais ça un jour travailler pour une équipe, mais pour l’instant, pour des raisons familiales, j’en ai pour quelques années à rester dans les environs.

«Le seul endroit où je pourrais aller travailler, ce n’est pas très loin de chez nous», a-t-il lancé le sourire aux lèvres en guise d'indice.

source: TVA Sport

So he says that he want to stay with the NHL for families reason but the only place he would go is a place close to his house with a smile

**** no. Another traitor like Lapointe. Another inexperienced pretty boy.

I'd prefer Roy, no matter the ego.

And id prefer Brisebois over any of the two.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
He's also in an organization that puts a huge emphasis on skill, speed and playing exciting hockey.

Now of course MB came from a team that had high end talent so I thought that was a good thing.

First and foremost we need a GM to break our 22 years worth of D culture. I have serious doubts about our current coach in that respect, but step 1 is a new GM.
Defence minded Habs general managers in the past and present: Serge Savard, Rejean Houle, Andre Savard, Bob Gainey, Pierre Gauthier, and Marc Bergevin

Reactions: Et le But

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
I don't know If I would like Quintal has GM but assistant GM I would be ok with this
Stephane Quintal would be another defence minded GM. Too bad Stephane Richer is no longer in hockey.

Are you (Stephane Richer) still in touch with any former teammates?
I see Sergio Momesso often and I still talk with Guy Carbonneau and Gaston Gingras from time to time. I also see a lot of guys from my day when we play alumni games.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Defence minded Habs general managers in the past and present: Serge Savard, Rejean Houle, Andre Savard, Bob Gainey, Pierre Gauthier, and Marc Bergevin

Neither Gainey, nor Savard were defensive minded during their tenure. They did their best to add skill and offense. The 08-09 team was heavy in europeans and skilled players.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
**** no. Another traitor like Lapointe. Another inexperienced pretty boy.

I'd prefer Roy, no matter the ego.

And id prefer Brisebois over any of the two.

Lol Quintal as a “pretty boy” hahahah... seriously that’s hilarious. The guy was the definition of an ugly, fight anyone in the world, bottom 6 defenseman. He played a hard game and took on all the super heavyweights of his era - he even came back on to the ice to fight Bob Probert when the Bruins were playing the Wings, at the end of the game and he was in the dressing room. He was underrated tough and everything about his game was ugly, but he had enough heart for 3 guys.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

With respect to Serge Savard he knew the value of skill players and wanted them in the line up. He also hired a guy like Demers who definitely was a " let them play and stay out of their way" type of coach who was not risk averse and completely defence minded. Demers was a great coach who was patient anout mistakes and wanted to help the young guys develop their game.

Jacques Lemaire started the ship heading in that direction but since Demers its been nothing but.

We are now an organization that frowns upon the so called " individualistic " play wherby a player tries to create a scoring opportunity because its too risky.

We have drafted so many players with low ceilings because " they play a good 200 foot game and bring lots of character and leadership, they will never put up many points but will be a great 3rd liner who tje coach can depend on in all situations. "

We try to play it safe. We dont try to win, we try not to lose. And we have nothing for the last 25 years because of this flawed philosophy.

Reactions: BLONG7

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This needed a bump.

We waited too long on Julien Brisebois, now what other candidates are even available if Molson grows a pair and fires Bergevin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->