New GM Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Julien Brisebois.

Popular name but what makes you think he does better than Bergevin? No tax advantage in Montreal remember. I'm not a Brisebois hater but I would rather have Roy as President and Timmins as his GM.

We need someone like Gainey to steer this ship again and be the face of our management. Give it to Roy and have Timmins be his GM or have Roy hire a GM. Imagine Roy and Brodeur working together?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
- Molson as CEO (focuses on business)
- Roy as President (in charge of hockey operations and is the bridge from Timmins to Molson)
- Timmins at GM
- Ducharme as coach

Roy and Timmins work together and I think Timmins is a good fit for Roy. Timmins does not have a ego and he is patient.

I do not support giving Roy both President and GM. If he wants that, I say no.

as far as i understand - a president's almost "only" role is to keep the GM in line. I honestly have no idea what else a president is supposed to do.

I couldn't fathom the idea of giving one person both roles - what's the point lol? Keep himself in line?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
as far as i understand - a president's almost "only" role is to keep the GM in line. I honestly have no idea what else a president is supposed to do.

I couldn't fathom the idea of giving one person both roles - what's the point lol? Keep himself in line?

The President can do whatever he wants cause he would be in charge of hockey operations. But yes we agree, if they have one guy as President and GM, the lines of accountability would be flawed again.

I can buy into Roy being our President and a guy like Timmins as his GM. Roy would be an active President in terms of big picture strategy and Timmins would be the GM doing all the day to day stuff. Or we keep Timmins where he is and we hire Brodeur as the GM? Not so sure Brodeur and Roy would work well together though? :dunno:

The only way Roy works as President is he has a guy that respects him and doesn't question his authority. Timmins IMO, would be the perfect type to work with a guy like Roy. He's patient, handles the media well, knows a lot about scouting, and does not have an ego. How much experience does Timmins have with contract negotiation? Not sure

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Dean Lombardi as President. Most experienced fomer GM/President available and has won 2 cups in salary cap era.
Yes. I've been saying this for years, although at this point I don't know how plugged in Lombardi still is.

Much better plugged in than Patrick Roy, however.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dean Lombardi as President. Most experienced fomer GM/President available and has won 2 cups in salary cap era.

Lombardi is a decent option. But I rather have someone who can be the face to our management group and someone with fire in them to take us to higher levels. Lombardi would be a laid back president and likely just listen to Molson so he keeps getting his pay check. I could be completely wrong but I rather think outside the box to our solutions

Give it to Roy. You want to see the feathers move around in the wind... He would keep everyone below him honest and accountable.

Reactions: Kimota

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes. I've been saying this for years, although at this point I don't know how plugged in Lombardi still is.

Much better plugged in than Patrick Roy, however.

Why do you think that? Honestly, Roy deserves some of the reputation he gets but I think it's overblown. I rather have someone with fire in them and another nice smile/nice suit guy.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The President can do whatever he wants cause he would be in charge of hockey operations. But yes we agree, if they have one guy as President and GM, the lines of accountability would be flawed again.

I can buy into Roy being our President and a guy like Timmins as his GM. Roy would be an active President in terms of big picture strategy and Timmins would be the GM doing all the day to day stuff. Or we keep Timmins where he is and we hire Brodeur as the GM? Not so sure Brodeur and Roy would work well together though? :dunno:

The only way Roy works as President is he has a guy that respects him and doesn't question his authority. Timmins IMO, would be the perfect type to work with a guy like Roy. He's patient, handles the media well, knows a lot about scouting, and does not have an ego. How much experience does Timmins have with contract negotiation? Not sure

As a fan you keep naming entertaining options. Brodeur is someone we all know - and that's more fun/entertaining than a nobody being named. But would he even be good? I dunno.

Whoever is hired i hope they come in with a plan, and a vision, and stick to it and execute properly.

Does Patrick Roy have a highschool diploma?

Not sure if serious or not - but does it matter? He's as accomplished as they come in the hockey world - and i think past education matters not at all at this stage in his career.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Patrick Roy has zero GM experience, Martin Brodeur would be a better choice. But either would need a President to keep them in line. Lombardi could even out A fiery Roy.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Why do you think that? Honestly, Roy deserves some of the reputation he gets but I think it's overblown. I rather have someone with fire in them and another nice smile/nice suit guy.
Roy is one of my all-time favourite Habs, but his management style has been tried and rejected in the NHL. Does this franchise really need another local rookie learning the GM job on the fly? How many times does this bizarre template have to fail before we realize it just doesn't work??

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
A Patrick Roy hire would not only excite the fan base to a fervor not felt in over two decades, but it will drastically rally the troops to play like Stanley Cup contenders. Roy will not be content with just being the head coach, he would likely want the GM position as well because he then gets to draft junior players.
Oh you mean he'll do the same thing here that he did in Denver?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
- Molson as CEO (focuses on business)
- Roy as President (in charge of hockey operations and is the bridge from Timmins to Molson)
- Timmins at GM
- Ducharme as coach

Roy and Timmins work together and I think Timmins is a good fit for Roy. Timmins does not have a ego and he is patient.

I do not support giving Roy both President and GM. If he wants that, I say no.
And people think the Houle era was the worst one in Habs history. I just can't wait to see that combo destroy this franchise.

Reactions: Vachon23

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Roy is one of my all-time favourite Habs, but his management style has been tried and rejected in the NHL. Does this franchise really need another local rookie learning the GM job on the fly? How many times does this bizarre template have to fail before we realize it just doesn't work??

It has not been tried and rejected cause he is not the puppet type and has not had a big role other than coaching. This is why I would give him the shot at President of the Habs. Put him at the top and right after Molson. Everybody below him has to listen to his vision or you have to face his intensity. I think this is a positive, not a negative

I'm not saying Roy as GM, I'm saying Roy as President and Timmins as his GM. I think this would be a good combo and I think Timmins is underrated. Look at how he handles the media, the guy knows what he is doing.

Would you rather the Habs hire a "proven" type guy like Chiarelli? Other teams spare parts where they had success at one point but are no longer employed? Lets not be fools and think that this is for sure the better option. There are risks to that too.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oh you mean he'll do the same thing here that he did in Denver?

Rumor I heard is he wanted more say in management decisions and he wanted to go after Radulov but Sakic said no. Was Roy wrong? Imagine the Avs with Radulov today? :sarcasm:

Yeah he got upset and left. Are we going to look at him for quitting or the reasons why he left?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Rumor I heard is he wanted more say in management decisions and he wanted to go after Radulov but Sakic said no. Was Roy wrong? Imagine the Avs with Radulov today? :sarcasm:
I want Roy nowhere near this team and Timmins has used up his Peter Principle when he was promoted to head scout 16 years ago. How much more incompetence do you want to see from him?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I want Roy nowhere near this team and Timmins has used up his Peter Principle when he was promoted to head scout 16 years ago. How much more incompetence do you want to see from him?

We are far apart. I would be down with the Roy/Timmins combo and I said my reasons. It would be much better than Molson/Bergevin and I think Roy is a much better fit for the Habs than most people think. You don't have to agree.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And people think the Houle era was the worst one in Habs history. I just can't wait to see that combo destroy this franchise.

Roy is a winner everywhere he goes. But because he is not a puppet and a nice guy/nice smile/nice suit type, he gets a bad reputation. I don't care about Houle... Tell me what his resume was before we hired him as the GM?

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
What? That's mediocre expectations. You want the GM to lose a trade or two? Come on man. We do have a long term vision but it started later in Bergevin's tenure. Problem is I'm not so sure he's the guy that takes us to the next level and so many are unhappy with him which is a black cloud following us around. This is why I would support a management shuffle but we need to be smart about it.
I'm just goofing around. He's not going anywhere so I'm having some laughs about him "winning every trade"

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad