New GM Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I didn't want to start a new GM thread since it isn't so hot of a topic. But I wanted to talk about what Bergevin has done since last year's humiliating playoff defeat.

He overhauled the defense through free agency. He acquired a #1 centre, and signed him long term. A guy who wanted to play in Montreal.

He acquired AHL vets Froese and Taormina to help his farm team develop. Froese even surpassed McCarron and Mitchell to get a look.

His training camp roster had several warts.

He traded Redmond, a d-man who wasn't going to make the team, for a forward Deslauriers, who is playing every night, with pride. He traded one of his bad acquisitions from last year, who would have been a vet on the Rocket competing with other vets who were on the roster for playing time.

He gave young bubble players, Hudon and DeLaRose room to grow and contribute.

He bought out his unnecessary signing Streit, and lost Hemsky within 10 games, predictably.

The team survived, struggled early to find chemistry, and suffered from inconsistency from several players, including Carey.

Injuries have been persistent and notable, but the team had navigated them. Lindgren won big games, even waiver trash Niemi earned the team a point.

Players coming back, with Jerabek's emergence have the defense improving.

You could see a defense of

Mete-Weber
Alzner-Petry
Schlemko-Jerabek

With Morrow and Benn as reserves

And that does not look so weak anymore in front of good goaltending.

The forward group is gelling.

Special teams still need work, and synchronization, but that may come with chemistry. Jerabek could be a PP asset if he gets a chance. I honestly believe Plekanec should be an early contender for Selke nomination, though the sports writers avoid his type and the market for that type of award.

The trade for Cracknell probably spells the end for Froese in Montreal. With a healthy Lehkonen, I'd expect to see a 4th line of Deslauriers-DeLaRose-Lehkonen, with Cracknell able to supplant DeLaRose or Deslauriers. Carr is pushing for a spot. Sherbak is knocking on the door.

Now hopefully Bergevin does not make the same mistake as last year of patching his lineup with character, that hindered talent. The holes on this team are greatly exaggerated. I think the top priority is to increase centre depth. Perhaps not imminently, but also not reactionary, or too late. Mc Carron is likely available for the right price.

With the possibility of both Poehling and Bitten joining the Rocket next year, I think he has the room to exchange one of his 2nds for sure.

Players that may come available at that price or less include Hanzal, Spezza, Strome, Filppula, Vermette, Zach Smith. I think Max Domi may command more but he may have a price too. As of now, Bergevin, with the team's resurgence doesn't need to hit the panic button.

I am not nominating him for GM of the year, I think McPhee, Poile, and Shero are the contenders, but I think there can be some positive things said about the moves he has made this year, and leading into this year. Not too positive though, always good to have fan pressure,

:thumbu:

Reactions: PhysicX

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Just to support my choice of Bobby Smith for President Hockey Opps, here are some of his qualifications...

Bobby was a terrific Habs player who won the Calder Trophy and was nominated for both the Hart and Selke, was an NHL GM for 5 years, and currently is owner and President of the Mooseheads. He also has a Masters in business.

Obviously, he could also be GM.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Martin Madden jr
I agree. He build a nice tesm by drafting in Anaheim. I heard alain chainey told one time that anaheim were maybe the smallest group of amateur scout in the NHL. But obviously they are very good to find talent. And Quebec is one of their favoourite place to select. (Flyers with simon nolet and nashville with glaude )

VAN-HAB

Vancouver Habitant
Sep 3, 2003
West Kelowna
Just to support my choice of Bobby Smith for President Hockey Opps, here are some of his qualifications...

Bobby was a terrific Habs player who won the Calder Trophy and was nominated for both the Hart and Selke, was an NHL GM for 5 years, and currently is owner and President of the Mooseheads. He also has a Masters in business.

Love this....

Reactions: groovejuice

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Man i don't want to be rude to him but on these pictures he looks like a 35-40 years old nobody working as a garbage man who has not slept with a woman (without paying) for 2-3 years and who spend his friday night drinking in a small village bar cursing his life. You would not guess from these pictures that he is only 28 and used to be a pro athlete 3 years ago.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I have over 15 years experience of analyzing failed Habs GMs on hfboards.

dj4ljknbddz21.png

Dude you are OVERqualified.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Like that idea. Someone cerebral, who played the game, has built a resume -- why can't we have that? Someone who is actually aware of what is going on in this century.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I love this.

We might not be quite sure what to look for, but we know damn well what NOT to look for.

Plus, Waffledave has been in the owner's box. He's going to give each of us an opportunity to visit those restricted quarters and teach us how to make those plastic facial expressions that Geoff loves, so we won't look out of place.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhysicX

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Plus, Waffledave has been in the owner's box. He's going to give each of us an opportunity to visit those restricted quarters and teach us how to make those plastic face expressions that Geoff loves, so we won't look out of place.

After the next time I talk to my account rep I may get invited back. Or maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille