New GM Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
If we hire a rookie GM (Brisebois for example) we need to poach an experienced GM to be president.
Who is the most qualified available regardless of language? That person should be the GM. If it's Brisebois then it would be even better.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
Who is the most qualified available regardless of language? That person should be the GM. If it's Brisebois then it would be even better.
I agree. I'm just scared of another rookie GM taking over without a proper mentor as President.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I agree. I'm just scared of another rookie GM taking over without a proper mentor as President.
Whoever is the next president he could not be worst than Geoff Molson. We have a few prospects like Timmins or Dudley. And Bergevin could do PR on l'Antichambre. Molson can keep his title as President but it has to be just that, a title with no decision power. Dudley could be senior vice president with Timmins as junior vice president.
And whoever they hire as the GM would be surrounded by knowledgeable people.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Agreed. There's a real gap between Assistant GM and actual GM. BriseBois, as smart and capable as he may be, remains a huge hypothetical until he actually takes on the job. And if we're targeting hypothetical GMs, why not other smart & capable guys currently serving as Assistant GMs? Joe Will (San Jose), Bill Zito (Columbus), Bill Guerin (Pittsburgh), Randy Lee (Ottawa), etc.

And then, of course, there's Dean Lombardi, floating on the periphery in Philly. Cup-winning, still young, experienced GM.

Would anyone here be upset if any of these people were candidates?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Agreed. There's a real gap between Assistant GM and actual GM. BriseBois, as smart and capable as he may be, remains a huge hypothetical until he actually takes on the job. And if we're targeting hypothetical GMs, why not other smart & capable guys currently serving as Assistant GMs? Joe Will (San Jose), Bill Zito (Columbus), Bill Guerin (Pittsburgh), Randy Lee (Ottawa), etc.

And then, of course, there's Dean Lombardi, floating on the periphery in Philly. Cup-winning, still young, experienced GM.

Well said...it's unfortunate none of the candidates you listed will even be considered beyond token interviews a la NFL when teams interview minority coaching/GM candidates in order to comply with the "Rooney Rule".

I guess in Montreal we can call it the "Looney Rule".

Disclaimer: if you don't follow the NFL or know what the Rooney Rule is about, that may fly way over your head lol

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
success starts from the top,

they should be hiring a president FIRST,

after that you fire MB and let the president hire a new GM....because molson has already proven he can not be trusted with that task

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

It would just be nice for the succession to be an actual competition as opposed to a coronation.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Well PK was build for this market no doubt. I totally agree with you on that one.

Wasn't it Okposo who said something like any "envelope from Montreal" he wasn't opening? Then there's MB himself more or less saying high-end UFAs don't put Montreal at the top of their list for reasons that would "offend him".

Meanwhile, guys who WANT to play in Montreal, PK and Markov, we jettison. I got no evidence whatsoever, but I still have the feeling Radulov also would have stayed if the circumstances are right.

Yeah, everyone wants to be paid, but at the same time, I am a firm believer in Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs where money, while important, is lower on the list than belonging and being able to excel in their environment. Granted, that last one may be hard for Radulov, but if we kept him and Drouin and the organization treated him like a star, I'm sure he'd still be in a Habs jersey.

Reactions: ArsHabs and LaP

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Well said...it's unfortunate none of the candidates you listed will even be considered beyond token interviews a la NFL when teams interview minority coaching/GM candidates in order to comply with the "Rooney Rule".

I guess in Montreal we can call it the "Looney Rule".

Disclaimer: if you don't follow the NFL or know what the Rooney Rule is about, that may fly way over your head lol
I'm not an NFL fan, but no worries -- my head is like O'Hare Airport, with gazillions of references flying over it.

Reactions: 417

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
It would just be nice for the succession to be an actual competition as opposed to a coronation.
Yup... it would be nice if the vetting process could take place without either side laying claim to it. No cries of 'favouritism' or 'respect'. No agendas. If the best candidates were considered and BriseBois was the best of the best -- terrific. Everyone would finally shut up. An open interview process is the only way to allow fresh air into this issue.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Maybe keeping Bergevin around is a good thing.

He has destroyed the on ice product. The team stinks and worst of all is boring to watch. Many of the players are not likeable. Management is not likeable. Interest in the team is in the shitter and outside of a small handful of cheerleaders, everyone is basically disgusted with the organization.

So interest dies. The rabid fandom dies. Suddenly there's less pressure in Montreal, less scrutiny. People start seeing it as a nice quiet place they can come play. Suddenly we're getting top UFAs again!

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

Well none of them impresses me, really. Brisebois is the most interesting of the names, french or english or japanese doesn't matter.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yup... it would be nice if the vetting process could take place without either side laying claim to it. No cries of 'favouritism' or 'respect'. No agendas. If the best candidates were considered and BriseBois was the best of the best -- terrific. Everyone would finally shut up. An open interview process is the only way to allow fresh air into this issue.

I don't profess to have full knowledge of all the candidates. But, from what I've read about BriseBois, his pedigree is impressive. He's a young, forward-thing, highly cerebral management talent, who has honed his skills over several years, including time already spent within the Habs organization. He'd be a tough candidate to set aside purely on a demonstrated competence basis.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'd have Montreal as a place I wouldn't want to go. They say it's one of the best place when you win. And an awful place when you lose. And guess what...we're losing.
I would totally have Montreal at the top of my list. Can you imagine if you actually brought a cup back here? They'd probably build a statue of you.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Well none of them impresses me, really. Brisebois is the most interesting of the names, french or english or japanese doesn't matter.

Those other Assistant GMs have great track records; most have been approached in the past for GM jobs. They're legit candidates, as are a few more people. If BriseBois really is better than all of them, great. But how do we know unless we look, interview, and evaluate?

I don't profess to have full knowledge of all the candidates. But, from what I've read about BriseBois, his pedigree is impressive. He's a young, forward-thing, highly cerebral management talent, who has honed his skills over several years, including time already spent within the Habs organization. He'd be a tough candidate to set aside purely on a demonstrated competence basis.
He does sound great. But there's that nagging question: Is he the best candidate among NHL candidates, or is he the best candidate for our specific market? Again, if we look at everyone and BriseBois emerges as the best, then we can finally shut up and celebrate.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He does sound great. But there's that nagging question: Is he the best candidate among NHL candidates, or is he the best candidate for our specific market? Again, if we look at everyone and BriseBois emerges as the best, then we can finally shut up and celebrate.
Unfortunately we will never actually have the answer for this until we end up hiring someone who doesn't speak french. That would show us how French is no longer a prerequisite in their job details.

It's impossible for us to know as we do not conduct or hear the interviews, so really, we just have to assume they do their due dilligence in their search, but considering they openly admit how French is a must, then there's no way to know.

It's so stupid. A Chinese company hired who deals mostly with locals despite me not speaking a word of Cantonese, they even provide me with a translator if needed, but the Habs decide to self-limit their pool of talent when hiring people. This despite the city they are based in is pretty much entirely bilingual.
So ridiculous.

Reactions: 417

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I would totally have Montreal at the top of my list. Can you imagine if you actually brought a cup back here? They'd probably build a statue of you.

I'm not talking about the imaginary Montreal. I'm talking about THIS Montreal. The only way this team brings whatever Cup is if 10 to 12 guys together decides to come here and build a winning team. Do you think Drouin is happy now....the guy who would have a statue if we'd win and yet right now, based on how bad this team is, he will be seen as a scapegoat...understandably 'cause he has no help. This team would have to prove itself first. Would have to get rid of Bergevin. And maybe even Julien. This team would need some serious prospects coming down and help the team. And would need better trades than whatever we saw from Bergevin. There is no way I'd come here. Right now. With what we have. Nobody would be great enough on its own to change this team's future. You'd need to have quite a few coming together.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Almost no one here would object to those other candidates, but you already know why they won't make the grade. It is what it is.

The biggest difference between Bergevin as the assistant-GM he was when the Habs hired him and BriseBois is that the latter has had a ton more responsibilities, accomplishments and years acting in the capacity -- this is not Bergevin the assistant-GM 6 months or a year into the job. BriseBois is a great candidates on his own merits.

I'd suggest that he's both. Of course, we'd have to see him go through the interview process like anyone else. It would also depend on who Geoff delegates to help him through it.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Last time there was an opening, I seem to recall that the organization reached out to Jim Nill, who basically rejected the habs.

So maybe there is a little shift in terms of philosophy where the idea now is to hire the best possible candidate, rather than the best possible french speaking candidate, or at least the possibility of doing so has some merit within the organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad