Player Discussion Neon Leon Draisaitl

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
OP starts a thread and one, of the many, complaints is that the title sucks. He is trolling and if he wanted to start a thread about Leon Draisaitl then he should've done that without whining about his past history and given it a proper title like 'who is better Leon or Connor'.

OP starts a new thread where he does not talk about himself at all. Goes right to hockey and asks the question who you'd draft between the 2? Get's called a troll and is told 'Neon Leon' is a stupid name.lol

Tough crowd

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
So let me see if i got this straight, you self - derail your own previous thread and it turns into a comedy show because of your own postings. So you now start a new thread, basically same premise and are hoping for a different outcome? I guess you never heard the definition of insanity eh?

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
We focus a lot on his ability to pass the puck, shoot the puck, and win face offs.

What's not talked about enough is his penalty killing abilities.

The 2014 3rd Overall pick is the most well rounded player on the team, and possibly in the league.

He may not be as flashy as Connor McDavid, but it would be extremely difficult to decide who would be first overall if they were to be drafted at the same time.

Neon Leon is pretty much Ryan Nugent-Hopkins + Connor McDavid in one.

To have such talent players on our team to watch, we are lucky.

For fun, who would you draft today if they were in the same draft year?
In all seriousness, yes we are very lucky to be witnessing these two players dominate the league in points together. It's very rare.

If Connor and Neon Leon were in the same draft year I would go with Connor. Even if it is based on hindsight with how well Leon has developed. It would be a travesty if they were separated though. It definitely worked out for the best that they weren't drafted in the same year.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
derail your own previous thread and it turns into a comedy show
It absolutely got derailed and became a comedy show. Probably my fav slow motion car crash in awhile. I was sad it closed. I was looking forward to Part 2 after 1000 posts.

However, the OP was the one that did that? There are like 10 posters that are just DYING to obliterate him with gifs, pics and memes.lol

McDavid87

Jan 5, 2018
In all seriousness, yes we are very lucky to be witnessing these two players dominate the league in points together. It's very rare.

If Connor and Neon Leon were in the same draft year I would go with Connor. Even if it is based on hindsight with how well Leon has developed. It would be a travesty if they were separated though. It definitely worked out for the best that they weren't drafted in the same year.

we are being rewarded with the decade of darkness

im really hoping that when its contract renewal time, they both take a little discount

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
we are being rewarded with the decade of darkness

im really hoping that when its contract renewal time, they both take a little discount
If they find a certain amount of success they might be willing to give a discount. It has happened before. I'm sure they both have pretty lucrative endorsement deals to pad their funds too.

McDavid87

Jan 5, 2018
If they find a certain amount of success they might be willing to give a discount. It has happened before. I'm sure they both have pretty lucrative endorsement deals to pad their funds too.

now if you were Mr. Holland, would you offer the same salary?

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
i mean offer Connor and Neon Leon the same new salary
Well yeah, let's say they won a cup together and their contracts are expiring. They want to win another one...

On the extremely low end it's 12 mil on the high end it's 14+ mill. I'd try to get them both for 11 mil so they stay competitive. Haha. I wish.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Well yeah, let's say they won a cup together and their contracts are expiring. They want to win another one...

On the extremely low end it's 12 mil on the high end it's 14+ mill. I'd try to get them both for 11 mil so they stay competitive. Haha. I wish.
Reminds me of when our players were all getting 6 x 6 contracts. Except now it'll be 14 x 14.lol

Reactions: Shaquille Oatmeal

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Reminds me of when our players were all getting 6 x 6 contracts. Except now it'll be 14 x 14.lol
Connor could ask for a 20x6 and probably get it. He's not that type of guy tho. And isn't there an actual cap on how much an individual player can get paid in ratio to the salary cap? Or is that something I dreamt up?

Reactions: oilers'72

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Hart Trophy Power Rankings: McDavid reigns despite Draisaitl's surge

Taking analytics into discussion

"#2. Draisaitl continues to lead in the "Rocket" Richard and Art Ross Trophy races, and there's no denying his immense talent. However, the German has an absurd shooting percentage of 27.8% in 2021-22, which will surely regress as the season goes on. He's also scored half of his goals on the power play.
His underlying numbers at five-on-five also remain largely unfavorable. The 26-year-old has a commendable goals for percentage in those situations (63.89), but his subpar expected goals for percentage indicates an inability to drive possession. In addition, the Oilers aren't controlling the share of scoring chances with Draisaitl on the ice at five-on-five, earning only 45.34% of them.
Draisaitl's analytic figures without McDavid are even worse. The 2019-20 Hart Trophy winner has a 42.76 xGF% and a 41.72% SCF% while playing without the Edmonton captain at five-on-five. Draisaitl is undoubtedly one of the NHL's most valuable players, but a closer look at numbers beyond just goals and points clearly indicates he's still not the Hart frontrunner."

"#1 McDavid Draisaitl has been producing at a higher rate than McDavid since the start of November, but the latter superstar remains the NHL's most valuable player for several reasons.
Firstly, the Oilers are better with just McDavid on the ice than they are with only Draisaitl at five-on-five. In contrast to Edmonton's paltry xGF and SCF percentages with Draisaitl and without McDavid, the team is driving possession at rates above 50% when the two-time MVP is playing without his older teammate.
Draisaitl deserves credit for his stellar production while logging a bit more ice time, but McDavid has been more effective by just about any analytic measure. The 24-year-old has favorable xGF and SCF percentages on an individual basis in addition to his superior numbers in the with-and-without comparison.
McDavid also boasts the NHL's best individual expected goals rate in all situations and one of the league's top ixG figures at five-on-five, while Draisaitl sits 94th in the latter. So while Draisaitl's counting stats are superior, McDavid has consistently proved he has a greater impact on his team's ability to control the play and create more scoring opportunities, thereby demonstrating his superior value."

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Isn't there already a thread on Draisaitl? Why do we need more?
This is a thread about Neon Leon. Totally different.

GifMeme 03122021124521.gif

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018

Taking analytics into discussion

"#2. Draisaitl continues to lead in the "Rocket" Richard and Art Ross Trophy races, and there's no denying his immense talent. However, the German has an absurd shooting percentage of 27.8% in 2021-22, which will surely regress as the season goes on. He's also scored half of his goals on the power play.
His underlying numbers at five-on-five also remain largely unfavorable. The 26-year-old has a commendable goals for percentage in those situations (63.89), but his subpar expected goals for percentage indicates an inability to drive possession. In addition, the Oilers aren't controlling the share of scoring chances with Draisaitl on the ice at five-on-five, earning only 45.34% of them.
Draisaitl's analytic figures without McDavid are even worse. The 2019-20 Hart Trophy winner has a 42.76 xGF% and a 41.72% SCF% while playing without the Edmonton captain at five-on-five. Draisaitl is undoubtedly one of the NHL's most valuable players, but a closer look at numbers beyond just goals and points clearly indicates he's still not the Hart frontrunner."

"#1 McDavid Draisaitl has been producing at a higher rate than McDavid since the start of November, but the latter superstar remains the NHL's most valuable player for several reasons.
Firstly, the Oilers are better with just McDavid on the ice than they are with only Draisaitl at five-on-five. In contrast to Edmonton's paltry xGF and SCF percentages with Draisaitl and without McDavid, the team is driving possession at rates above 50% when the two-time MVP is playing without his older teammate.
Draisaitl deserves credit for his stellar production while logging a bit more ice time, but McDavid has been more effective by just about any analytic measure. The 24-year-old has favorable xGF and SCF percentages on an individual basis in addition to his superior numbers in the with-and-without comparison.
McDavid also boasts the NHL's best individual expected goals rate in all situations and one of the league's top ixG figures at five-on-five, while Draisaitl sits 94th in the latter. So while Draisaitl's counting stats are superior, McDavid has consistently proved he has a greater impact on his team's ability to control the play and create more scoring opportunities, thereby demonstrating his superior value."
I liked the Jagr to Lemieux type comparison. Drai being Jagr and Connor being Lemieux.

Of course, I think Jagr is generational while most don't.lol

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I think it was 20 % or something like that, meaning around 15 mill based on the limits at the time.

Probably a topic for another entire thread (and maybe has been and apologies if Imissed it) but because we have an owner right now that could manage it(wouldn’t have happened in the Cal Nichols era), what if a team could tag a player as a franchise player exempted from the salary cap as a go between todays restrictive cap arrangement and full on Wild West, no cap?

When you have,indisputably, the worlds 2 best players on the same club, the present salary management system is not in our favour to build a team around them, together.

Yes I know, it called an embarrassment of riches.

Reactions: Shaquille Oatmeal

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
We focus a lot on his ability to pass the puck, shoot the puck, and win face offs.

What's not talked about enough is his penalty killing abilities.

The 2014 3rd Overall pick is the most well rounded player on the team, and possibly in the league.

He may not be as flashy as Connor McDavid, but it would be extremely difficult to decide who would be first overall if they were to be drafted at the same time.

Neon Leon is pretty much Ryan Nugent-Hopkins + Connor McDavid in one.

To have such talent players on our team to watch, we are lucky.

For fun, who would you draft today if they were in the same draft year?

I would take Connor McDavid if he and Dri were in the same draft year no question

Dri is very special but he is who he is because Connor makes other players better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad