GDT: NCAA football thread

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The whole transfer portal is killing bowl season. Half the starters sit out to not damage their draft stock and the other half are in the transfer portal. Most of guys playing in the bowls will.never suit up for a game that "counts"

As excited as a lot of people are about the expanded playoff, you're still going to have a bunch of these bowl games that half the rosters aren't going to participate in.

But even say 10 years ago, who really wants to play in the "Fenway Bowl" or the "Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe bowl" in late December?

We've gotten to where dumping mayo on a coach or eating a giant pop-tart is more "exciting" than the actual bowl game. Bowl season jumped the shark.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Im don’t believe Missouri is that good. Osu is supposed to be a top 5 team
That makes sense. I don't put much stock in bowl games these days. A team like OSU has a goal to make the playoffs and once they didn't, I'm guessing it's hard to get motivated for a game like this. Mizzou on the other hand, is probably trying to prove something.

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
That makes sense. I don't put much stock in bowl games these days. A team like OSU has a goal to make the playoffs and once they didn't, I'm guessing it's hard to get motivated for a game like this. Mizzou on the other hand, is probably trying to prove something.
Bowl games have been bad for a long time and getting worse with guys sitting out. Im just silly and spreading my daily hate on the big 10 today/yesterday.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
The 2 guys at QB for the Buckeyes would have never suited up if not for the transfer BS

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I know my "get off my lawn" feelings on this won't change a damn thing but if you are a pro scout and see guys decline the option to play games shouldn't that show you something about their commitment level?

I mean I get it and feel bad for those in the past that got hurt and it ruined their chances to male the NFL but at the same time their are extremely talented guys that was out because they don't have the drive.

10 or so years go the Browns draft a CB in the first (dont remember his name) his talent was off the charts sure fire probowler but he had no drive, no desire. Talent alone won't cut it in the NFL.

So why don't teams drop the guys down that pass on playing games?

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Exposure.. used to be the only time that the national audience could see them were bowl games now I can almost watch every game...and one game is not > then all the others

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
I know my "get off my lawn" feelings on this won't change a damn thing but if you are a pro scout and see guys decline the option to play games shouldn't that show you something about their commitment level?

I mean I get it and feel bad for those in the past that got hurt and it ruined their chances to male the NFL but at the same time their are extremely talented guys that was out because they don't have the drive.

10 or so years go the Browns draft a CB in the first (dont remember his name) his talent was off the charts sure fire probowler but he had no drive, no desire. Talent alone won't cut it in the NFL.

So why don't teams drop the guys down that pass on playing games?

Those same teams will sit players in the last week of the season if they have clinched the playoffs (and aren't playing to earn a bye). They understand.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I mean, yeah it sucks to not see your top guys play but I'm not sure I hold that against them. What does suck is how big the transfer portal has gotten and how many of these teams have to play 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Florida State fans should be pretty quiet for the rest of the month…
1703975888554.gif

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Florida State had a lot of their players opt out but they also still have talent to win the ACC. Georgia is just better than they are.

And this also should be a preview of what an expanded playoff will look like most years. There's like 3-4 teams that have a legitimate shot, everyone else is small fries.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
The 2 guys at QB for the Buckeyes would have never suited up if not for the transfer BS
The transfer BS? You mean, the BS of kids not being completely exploited by universities after more than a century of making shittons of money for them?

I had one good friend in college who played O-line for State while I was there. He might have been an NFL player had the breaks gone his way -- but instead, the breaks went the other way, and he could barely walk at 21 years old. That was the real BS. But hey, he got that super valuable communications degree! Oh, and no more medical care the day he stepped off the f***ing field.

I know that old school college football fans have some adjusting to do, but this is how it always should have been. The people with the talent, who put their bodies on the line, should get f***ing paid. if that means that players can go wherever they want, and the AD for Asshole State University has to take a few more Rolaids to get through the season, fine.

Also: LOL FSU. Keep crying about how you're special and contracts don't apply to you.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So who y'all got for the National Championship game? I think the two 12-1 team knock off the two 13-0 teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad