GDT: NCAA football thread

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
No need to add further details...you can pretty much pick any NC State game and it will have several "what the hell? but why?" moments...ESPECIALLY on 4th downs
What doubly kills me about that one if I recall correctly is that they tried the same damn play on 3rd down... then said "lets do it again!" despite TJ Mclendon being right freaking there to hand the ball to.

• Haha
Reactions: WreckingCrew

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Michigan is now the biggest villain remaining, so I'm all aboard that train.
Yeah I'm completely ambivalent on this game. On one hand, if Washington wins it's the team that nobody actually expected to do so going into this, which is great. On the other hand, if Michigan wins it's the outcome that will piss off the most possible people including the entirety of the SEC and all other B1G fans, which is f***ing fantastic.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Yeah I'm completely ambivalent on this game. On one hand, if Washington wins it's the team that nobody actually expected to do so going into this, which is great. On the other hand, if Michigan wins it's the outcome that will piss off the most possible people including the entirety of the SEC and all other B1G fans, which is f***ing fantastic.
i dont think Michigan winning pisses of the SEC. The SEC has nothing to gain by either team winning., honestly this year is just a short term damper on the domination the SEC has had. If Michigan wins, the only thing to go gain is the 2nd best SEC team just lost to the "best team in football" in OT when the SEC didnt have a great year. the Big 10 should have their moment with a team and next year team being in the champ game. Although it is unlikely Washington returns to this moment and michigan will slide when Harbaugh leaves for the NFL again.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine

Same, which is why I'm looking forward to it. Getting to LOL at shitty refs, bad punt returners, and all the coming bad takes whatever the outcome.

Reactions: DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
i dont think Michigan winning pisses of the SEC. The SEC has nothing to gain by either team winning., honestly this year is just a short term damper on the domination the SEC has had. If Michigan wins, the only thing to go gain is the 2nd best SEC team just lost to the "best team in football" in OT when the SEC didnt have a great year. the Big 10 should have their moment with a team and next year team being in the champ game. Although it is unlikely Washington returns to this moment and michigan will slide when Harbaugh leaves for the NFL again.
ehhhhh, the amount of whining I've seen over them even getting in by VERY pro-SEC types makes me hard disagree with that regarding Michigan. I have a hard time remember the last time that a team that hasn't won shit in a literal generation generated this sort of enmity.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
ehhhhh, the amount of whining I've seen over them even getting in by VERY pro-SEC types makes me hard disagree with that regarding Michigan. I have a hard time remember the last time that a team that hasn't won shit in a literal generation generated this sort of enmity.
Well not doing anything for a while and then doing something right when a cheating scandal comes to light, will cause issues from the crowd.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine

Notre Dame maybe? I think it's the same attitude people take when they see a self-perceived high-and-mighty team stumble. See also: "Dallas Cowboys Syndrome."

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
That might be one of the worst play calls I've seen for a 4th and goal since NC State tried to QB sneak from the 3 with Philip Rivers at the Horseshoe.

No need to add further details...you can pretty much pick any NC State game and it will have several "what the hell? but why?" moments...ESPECIALLY on 4th downs

What doubly kills me about that one if I recall correctly is that they tried the same damn play on 3rd down... then said "lets do it again!" despite TJ Mclendon being right freaking there to hand the ball to.

Interesting segment by Tim Hasselbeck on ESPN when he broke down the play from behind right after the game. His take was that it really wasn't a bad call, that the play as designed should have, and within inches, almost did work.

In the first pic you can see the right guard (#77), who pulled, on the far left side of the line. All the QB had to do was follow him and he walks in for the TD. What went wrong was that the 360lb Bama right tackle (#65) got pushed into the backfield by a 245lb Michigan defender and the QB tripped over his leg (pic 2). The fact that the snap was low, which delayed the timing a bit, didn't help, either.

As Saban said, this was one of the plays Bama had pre planned for a 2 pt conversion if needed (same yardage as the 4th down attempt), so it wasn't just an off the cuff call.

I just thought it was interesting that what looked like a very poor play call may have actually been more a lack of execution by one player (one and a half if you count the low snap).

Bama 1.jpg

Bama 2.jpg

Hasselbeck's breakdown at about the 7:30 mark.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
TA McLendon, wow what a memory. That dude was awesome, it sucks he (IIRC) went down a bad road and killed whatever NFL chances he had but I seem to remember he turned his life around.

I'll root for Washington but I also don't care that much. Personally I'm just happy the season is almost over.

Reactions: CanesUltimate11

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
2 years in a row the semi finals game was more competitive than the finals.

Hopefully the expanded playoffs will put a better matchup in the finals

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Well I have family who live in AA and love U of M football so I'm happy for them.

RIP PAC-12. Good to know that from now on, Oregon vs Oregon State and the Apple Cup are out-of-conference but Oregon/Washington vs Maryland and Penn State are "conference matchups".

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Good to know that from now on, Oregon vs Oregon State and the Apple Cup are out-of-conference but Oregon/Washington vs Maryland and Penn State are "conference matchups".

When I was a kid living in suburban DC and my dad was attending Maryland for grad school, nobody cared about any game Maryland played except the one they played versus Penn State.

I know that was a long time ago, but in that particular case, there was at least a real rivalry at one point.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So the Harbaugh watch officially starts. With such a senior laden team and still some allegations surrounding him, seems like it's a good time for him to go out on top. There's going to be a lot of turnover at Michigan.

Not only that, they play one of the most difficult schedules in the FBS next season with home games against Texas, USC and Oregon and road games at Washington and Ohio State.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad