GDT: NCAA football thread

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I say go the other way, bring back the BCS computers.

Yes. I said it. That was a superior way to pick the most deserving teams.
Except that the pollster 1/4 quickly figured out how to vote to “correct” for the computer 1/4.

But the nice thing with the computers was you knew what they prioritized and it wouldn’t change as the season progressed.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Hearing WVU-UNC in the Duke's Mayo bowl in Charlotte. Missed when that was called the Belk bowl honestly. Yet to be confirmed of course, could still end up being Clemson or VT for all I know.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Yes, nothing ever makes everyone happy -- but there's a big difference between #13 and #5 in college football. A big, big, big difference. #13 isn't winning a national championship. #5 might.

This. You leave out a team that is a legit contender and a number of college football fans in general are going to be upset. You leave out a team that really has no chance and I'm guessing it's mostly that team's fanbase that's going to be really upset.

I suspect that the next big controversy will be with respect to who gets the byes. Seems like that would be a lot more of an advantage in football than other sports (10 extra days to prepare, avoid the wear and tear of a playoff game). If you're going to 12, why not 16 and eliminate the byes?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Hearing WVU-UNC in the Duke's Mayo bowl in Charlotte. Missed when that was called the Belk bowl honestly. Yet to be confirmed of course, could still end up being Clemson or VT for all I know.
Clemson was confirmed for the gator bowl, I thought

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Michigan loves the committee picking Alabama over FSU. No more talk about their huge scandal anymore.

College football died with NIL and conference realignment. NIL has turned the sport into a mix between pro football and European soccer but on steroids since those leagues actually have contracts and transfer payments. It didn't die because of the incompetent CFP committee choosing one team over another.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Next season it will be 12 teams and once again, we will have people happy and those angry, just like we have when the basketball playoffs come about.

But, but, but, my team should have made it but didn't.

Give the Committee some credit, they looked at FSU losing their best player, their QB and saying there is no way without that QB can they compete with any of the 3 other teams. To me it should have been Georgia over Alabama, in the playoffs, but I understand why they picked Alabama since they were the conference champions
This is the oddest comment I’ve ever seen.

Reactions: DaveG

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
This is the oddest comment I’ve ever seen.
CFP committee chair Boo Corrigan explained the decision on ESPN: "Florida State is a different team than they were the first 11 weeks," he said. "If you look at who they are as a team right now, without Jordan Travis, without the offensive dynamic that he brings to it, they are a different team

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
CFP committee chair Boo Corrigan explained the decision on ESPN: "Florida State is a different team than they were the first 11 weeks," he said. "If you look at who they are as a team right now, without Jordan Travis, without the offensive dynamic that he brings to it, they are a different team
Apparently that didn't apply to Ohio State when they lost their QB.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
My comments was directed at the choice you’d make of Georgia over Alabama.

Reactions: DaveG

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006

Apparently that didn't apply to Ohio State when they lost their QB.
Apparently that didn't apply to Florida State one week ago when they were still ranked 4th even though it was known the QB was out. He even says they're different from the first 11 weeks - but they didn't drop in week 12...

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Apparently that didn't apply to Florida State one week ago when they were still ranked 4th even though it was known the QB was out. He even says they're different from the first 11 weeks - but they didn't drop in week 12...
Yep, once Alabama won that injury became relevant to the discussion so they could spin leaving them out.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
My comments was directed at the choice you’d make of Georgia over Alabama.
Georgia being the defending two time champion, to lose by only 3 points in a rivalry game, I just didn’t see them dropping out of the top 5.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
They did this just because of NILs. They didn’t have to pretend the playoff was about anything but money anymore.

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad