GDT: Game 5 | Leafs @ Bruins | COME BACK BEGINS - WAKE UP EDITION | Tuesday, Apr. 30 7 p.m. EST | Leafs trail series 1-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I wonder what kind of concession is needed by the owners in order to make no move/no trade clauses illegal in the next CBA. I guess it’s not a hill that is worth dying on for the owners. So many players get them, it's unreal. GMs are really stupid.
I think the PA would never sign off on a CBA without trade protection.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
I wonder what kind of concession is needed by the owners in order to make no move/no trade clauses illegal in the next CBA. I guess it’s not a hill that is worth dying on for the owners. So many players get them, it's unreal. GMs are really stupid.

They need to be saved from themselves. You should be able to tear up an athlete's contract right in front of their face if they don't perform.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
come back? LOL.

go away. I'd be super annoyed if they stretch this out to 7 just to lose...again.

Destroy us in 5 so Marner and the coaching staff have no god damn prayer and they get yeeted.

Reactions: JKG33 and Jmo89

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I dunno ACC, I thought the same, but at this point if you're Marner and you're hated by so many in your hometown, the media is constantly on you and then management potentially wants you gone as well if they're looking to make changes, I would think there would be at least be an openness on his end to seek out a fresh start as well. He is a human being after all, there is only so much a man can take. A lot of people don't want to stay somewhere where they are not wanted and subject to constant vitriol.
Well he has 1 year left, not like he has 3 plus. I’d be surprised if anybody would give you much for 1 year of Marner at 11 million. Even less if he won’t take a pay cut on an extension.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Well he has 1 year left, not like he has 3 plus. I’d be surprised if anybody would give you much for 1 year of Marner at 11 million. Even less if he won’t take a pay cut on an extension.
Would prefer to get something at all rather than nothing.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I dunno ACC, I thought the same, but at this point if you're Marner and you're hated by so many in your hometown, the media is constantly on you and then management potentially wants you gone as well if they're looking to make changes, I would think there would be at least be an openness on his end to seek out a fresh start as well. He is a human being after all, there is only so much a man can take. A lot of people don't want to stay somewhere where they are not wanted and subject to constant vitriol.
Could be. I think things will die down over the summer and they'll hope to use next season to change the narrative.
I had thought they would extend Marner shortly after July 1st but they may let things cool down longer now.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
what's the point of the contract lol
Contracts are supposed to be such that I will pay "you" for performing like "this". If you do not perform like "this", I can turf "you". That's how the real world works.

Guaranteed contracts for millionaires is nonsense. Part of the reason you are paid so well is to deal with things like that.

The NFL had it right... but even they have shifted away with the guaranteed money aspect.

Could be. I think things will die down over the summer and they'll hope to use next season to change the narrative.
I had thought they would extend Marner shortly after July 1st but they may let things cool down longer now.
While what you say is fair, if they bring back the core again I am not sure how much of a true fan I can be. I have seen enough.

I really do think the new CEO will force moves.

Reactions: Maple Leaf

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
They need to be saved from themselves. You should be able to tear up an athlete's contract right in front of their face if they don't perform.

And players should be able to tear up a contract if they outperform it.

Maybe have a tear up the Contract Deadline Day?

Should be right before Trade Deadline Day, so that players could sign new contracts before.

That would make for good viewing.

CDD followed by TDD.

Reactions: TheOne

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
come back? LOL.

go away. I'd be super annoyed if they stretch this out to 7 just to lose...again.

Destroy us in 5 so Marner and the coaching staff have no god damn prayer and they get yeeted.
This. It's time for this group to get old yeller'd. End it in 5, big changes to the staff and the players

Optional skate at 1130am. Should give us some insight into tonight's lineup.
Do Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and Tavares know the skate at 7PM isn't optional?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Contracts are supposed to be such that I will pay "you" for performing like "this". If you do not perform like "this", I can turf "you". That's how the real world works.

Guaranteed contracts for millionaires is nonsense. Part of the reason you are paid so well is to deal with things like that.

The NFL had it right... but even they have shifted away with the guaranteed money aspect.

While what you say is fair, if they bring back the core again I am not sure how much of a true fan I can be. I have seen enough.

I really do think the new CEO will force moves.
I don't see how moves can be forced. They can ask someone to leave but they aren't obligated to go along with it.

Anyway, none of this has anything to do with tonight's game. Every thread turns into the same discussion.

Since this may be the last one, it would be great if we could have a thread just dedicated to the game.

Reactions: wingman75

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
I don't have it in me to cheer against them... and a comeback would be one for the ages to slay the dragon.

However, past performances and the effort level (despite what Keefe says) I just don't see it. I'd love to be proven wrong here...but I'd imagine I'll see you all here tomorrow with ideas on how to fix this organization.

Also, imagine what guys like Gilmour, Clark, Sittler, Tucker, Sundin etc think of these guys. It's an honour to wear that Leaf and this team has found every way possible to make a mockery of it over the years. Tonight the final thread may be torn from the jersey they wear.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
As much as we don't have faith in the Leafs, if Boston doesn't close it out tonight, they will start to feel the pressure after last year. The only thing worse than blowing a 3-1 series lead, is doing it two years in a row. I expect Boston to come out the hardest they have so far and go for the kill, which could open things up a bit.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Could this finally and mercifully be the end tonight?
This team thrives when there is no pressure, and right now there is zero pressure on them. As such, they will win until the pressure is ramped back up, which won't be until game 7.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't have it in me to cheer against them... and a comeback would be one for the ages to slay the dragon.

However, past performances and the effort level (despite what Keefe says) I just don't see it. I'd love to be proven wrong here...but I'd imagine I'll see you all here tomorrow with ideas on how to fix this organization.

Also, imagine what guys like Gilmour, Clark, Sittler, Tucker, Sundin etc think of these guys. It's an honour to wear that Leaf and this team has found every way possible to make a mockery of it over the years. Tonight the final thread may be torn from the jersey they wear.

The thing is, if Leafs win tonight, there could be some doubt creeping in Boston’s minds after what happened last season.

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
Trying to find hope...this team DOES tend to have winning streaks right after a streak of playing terrible where the fans have little hope.....

7 times this season the leafs have had a 3 or more game winning streak:

-in late October, they won 3 in a row after losing 2 in a row to Chicago and Fl by a combined 7-2 score

-in mid November, they won 4 in a row after coming off of losing 5 of the previous 6 including bad losses to Ottawa and Buffalo.

-in early January, they won 4 in a row after losing 5 of the previous 6, including getting dominated by Buffalo, Ottawa and the Rangers.

-in late January they won 3 in a row after losing 5 of the previous 6.

-in mid February, they won 7 in a row after losing 2 of the previous 3.

-in late march, they won 3 in a row after losing 4 of the previous 6.

So maybe this time won't be different...but its not impossible.

• Haha
Reactions: Sniper99

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
As much as we don't have faith in the Leafs, if Boston doesn't close it out tonight, they will start to feel the pressure after last year. The only thing worse than blowing a 3-1 series lead, is doing it two years in a row. I expect Boston to come out the hardest they have so far and go for the kill, which could open things up a bit.
I actually wonder if Boston will come out a bit tentative. As someone else said, I think their natural tendency may be to play a low-event game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad