GDT: NCAA football thread

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
1 loss FSU beat out an undefeated WV for a chance at a CFB championship. It’s only okay when in your favor

Reactions: DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
1 loss FSU beat out an undefeated WV for a chance at a CFB championship. It’s only okay when in your favor
and WVU not getting a shot was just as egregious.

FSU had a loss to #2, and had wins over #5, #15, #19, and #23 in the regular season
WVU had no losses and had wins over #13 (who beat #2), #15, #22, and #24 in the regular season

of course, if they had taken care of business in the bowl game they win a share of the natty anyway, or at least should have won a share. Never know with the idiot pollsters. Mind you they also straight up should have been playing Nebraska instead of Florida in the bowl game.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Saw somewhere that 1200 players are in the transfer portal. If you're a fan of a team not named Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan etc and your school gets a 4-5 QB or something, do you even get excited anymore knowing that player is probably using you as a springboard to go to a bigger school?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Saw somewhere that 1200 players are in the transfer portal. If you're a fan of a team not named Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan etc and your school gets a 4-5 QB or something, do you even get excited anymore knowing that player is probably using you as a springboard to go to a bigger school?
It’s impossible to know. Sometimes the 5*QB doesn’t work out like Ohio St. Many of these QBs are grad transfers looking for one last year (like Hartman going to ND last year which worked out…good but not great?)

But if you’re a lower level program, priority 1 has to be to use your NIL to keep your best players who fit your system. Sometimes that is the QB but you can have your money go further by focusing on other positions.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Well Duke football is going to need a new coach. I mean I was born at Duke hospital, clearly this means I'm qualified. @LakeLivin will you be my assistant?

On a serious note, this is just me but if money wasn't an object I'd keep my ass at Duke, A&M is a very difficult place to keep people happy. But he's from there and he's gonna get a boatload of money so I understand.

Sad news everyone, Duke football decided that Manny Diaz was a better hire than me. Maybe someday, some program will give me stupid money, I will keep trying. Thanks for your support.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Sad news everyone, Duke football decided that Manny Diaz was a better hire than me. Maybe someday, some program will give me stupid money, I will keep trying. Thanks for your support.
So.... I'm not getting the Assistant to the assistant coach job? !@!# Guess I need to withdraw my 2 week notice!

• Wow
Reactions: HisIceness

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
to be fair, it's Duke. If you want REAL money to be hired to go away and do nothing you need to look SEC

• Haha
Reactions: Tryamw

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
NC State waited all of 0 drives before absolutely embarrassing themselves in a bowl game (shocker). Horrible D, Kansas makes the most obvious play on 4th down and gets a 37 f***ing yard TD

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Fall for a punt fake, Kansas gets 30 yds...next play 20 yards...next play WE push them into the endzone...this is f***ing embarrassing for NC State

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I've never seen a team so goddamn f***ing horrendously ineffective at tackling...there's 4-5 missed takes on nearly every play. We just had like 5 miss on the QB running 15 yds for a TD near the end of the half. Forfeit and save face, you literally can't play much worse

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
TBH Zona is the team that scares the shit out of me that's joining the big 12, not Utah.
Arizona looks like a B12 team with athleticism everywhere.

Utah plays more like a B1G team, but will grind B12 teams into dust like they did P12 teams.

When I watch Utah, I think this is what Iowa could be with a functioning offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
As a kid through a big part of my adult life I always loved watching bowl games on Christmas and days before and after.

Now, I don’t watch any with player drop outs dominating the non-playoff games.
Once the playoff system was developed, most of the bowl games just lost their luster and tradition.

A second factor is that there are so many bowl games, that even without the playoffs, only fans of the teams playing show any interest. In the 80s, there were 15-18 bowl games, and by 1999, there were 23, so it meant more to make one and the best teams made them. Now there are 43.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
As a kid through a big part of my adult life I always loved watching bowl games on Christmas and days before and after.

Now, I don’t watch any with player drop outs dominating the non-playoff games.
definitely a factor for me. I'll watch what I think might be an interesting matchup (Zona vs OU last night, USAFA vs JMU) or ones I have a connection to (WVU vs UNC, JSU vs Louisiana) but on the whole I REALLY just don't care anymore. The playoff even annoys me since, outside of the occasional Washington or TCU, it's the same f***ing blueblood programs every year. The playoff moving to 12 might be the best thing to happen to it, the first round will probably be first round of March Madness level interesting before we're back to it being straight chalk by the Semis most years.
Once the playoff system was developed, most of the bowl games just lost their luster and tradition.

A second factor is that there are so many bowl games, that even without the playoffs, only fans of the teams playing show any interest. In the 80s, there were 15-18 bowl games, and by 1999, there were 23, so it meant more to make one and the best teams made them. Now there are 43.
And this is a big part of it. Oversaturation to a ridiculous extent. It used to be a thing where if you made a bowl game that meant you had a damn good season, like 7-8 wins or better back when you only played 11 games a season. Now we have teams that don't even have .500 records getting into bowl games. Teams with as many as 20 guys not playing either due to sitting out to prep for the draft, or hitting the transfer portal because they didn't feel like being a backup/have better NIL offers elsewhere. And don't tell me that shit like bagmen, sorry, "NIL syndicates" communicating with guys that are on scholarship at other schools isn't happening. Not buying it, not with all the shit that was going down in the SEC and SWC back in the day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad