GDT: NCAA football thread

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I mean, they set themselves up for this bullshit every year.

It's the last year of the 4 team playoff nonsense, at least, and the 6+6 format will lead to way better college playoff football -- but it took them, oh, 25 years too long to figure it out, and college football has descended into a state of madness in the meantime.

If we're being real, though, Georgia and Bama should both be there. And when we get to the 6+6 format, we're gonna see two SEC teams in the final as often as not, and folks are just gonna be mad about it all the time.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

It's the last year of the 4 team playoff nonsense, at least, and the 6+6 format will lead to way better college playoff football -- but it took them, oh, 25 years too long to figure it out, and college football has descended into a state of madness in the meantime.

If we're being real, though, Georgia and Bama should both be there. And when we get to the 6+6 format, we're gonna see two SEC teams in the final as often as not, and folks are just gonna be mad about it all the time.

Pretty much, all the expanded playoff is going to do is give Georgia, Alabama, Michigan etc a bye week so FSU and Penn State can beat each other to a bloody pulp. They're trying to duplicate March Madness but the sport is like the NBA where theres 3-4 really good teams and everyone else is meh at best.

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
fsu played a crap schedule coupled with a crap conference. Just because you go undefeated with a bad schedule doesn’t mean you have earned the right to play for a natty

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'm conflicted. We get better match ups but even understanding the logic I don't like a team getting left out like this. 12 will be better but just push these arguments further down the rankings.

Reactions: MustardStew

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
fsu played a crap schedule coupled with a crap conference. Just because you go undefeated with a bad schedule doesn’t mean you have earned the right to play for a natty
No reason to watch the regular season anymore. Just let the SEC and B1G buy their way into a playoff and **** the on field results.

Hope the SEC and B1G break away now, it would be better for the rest of the sport.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
No reason to watch the regular season anymore. Just let the SEC and B1G buy their way into a playoff and **** the on field results.

Hope the SEC and B1G break away now, it would be better for the rest of the sport.
Lol. Play a tougher schedule. It’s pretty easy.

If sec and big 10 separate, FSU and Clemson will follow. The rest of college football will basically die at that point

Reactions: DaveG

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Well Pac 12 Dies (effectively) this year.. ACC shortly and then the Big 12.. It's just a matter of time and $$$$'s

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Well Pac 12 Dies (effectively) this year.. ACC shortly and then the Big 12.. It's just a matter of time and $$$$'s
The big 12 will basically die after Texas and OU leave. Their next tv deal will be so much smaller than the Big 10 and SEC that they will have no ability to compete. UCF, Houston and Cincy were non value adds

Acc will die a little slower as they aren’t losing their two flagship programs yet. But the drastic difference in money will make it happen

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
OOC FSU Played 2 SEC teams.. Alabama? Played 1 Big 12 team and LOST HTAT GAME.
And HTF is Tennessee still ranked?

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
OOC FSU Played 2 SEC teams.. Alabama? Played 1 Big 12 team and LOST HTAT GAME.
And HTF is Tennessee still ranked?
Fsu played one good and 1 bad team, sec agnostic.

Bama also played the same good sec team, texas, tennesse, ole miss, and UGA.

Bama’s SOS was top 10. FSUs was 60 something. So +1 to bama there

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Lol. Play a tougher schedule. It’s pretty easy.

If sec and big 10 separate, FSU and Clemson will follow. The rest of college football will basically die at that point
I guess "it just means more" refers to Bama beating LSU by 14 in conference vs FSU beating LSU by 21 OOC.

They haven't killed the FCS yet even after all these years. And the networks will need more games to show than those 2 conferences can provide.

Won't die, and will probably be more like what we were watching pre CFP.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I guess "it just means more" refers to Bama beating LSU by 14 in conference vs FSU beating LSU by 21 OOC.

They haven't killed the FCS yet even after all these years. And the networks will need more games to show than those 2 conferences can provide.

Won't die, and will probably be more like what we were watching pre CFP.
The interest in fcs is pretty low. These other schools will fall into that as their games really wont matter anymore

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Next season it will be 12 teams and once again, we will have people happy and those angry, just like we have when the basketball playoffs come about.

But, but, but, my team should have made it but didn't.

Give the Committee some credit, they looked at FSU losing their best player, their QB and saying there is no way without that QB can they compete with any of the 3 other teams. To me it should have been Georgia over Alabama, in the playoffs, but I understand why they picked Alabama since they were the conference champions

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The networks have too much control over the sport. Today signaled that who you are and what conference you are in matters more than what you do on the field. If roles were reversed and Bama was winning ugly with a 3rd string QB, the talking heads would use that as a reason why they are strong and should be included. But because FSU isn't SEC, they're discarded like garbage to appease the networks

It's all f***ing bullshit. The sport is dead.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Was with you until the Georgia part. Sorry, not this year unless we're talking an 8 team tourney. Ohio State was more impressive to me this season. The SEC was way down this year and the only team of any quality that Georgia smoked was a very overrated Ole Miss team. The pedos were better than anyone Georgia beat this year by a fair margin.

Reactions: Stickpucker

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The big 12 will basically die after Texas and OU leave. Their next tv deal will be so much smaller than the Big 10 and SEC that they will have no ability to compete. UCF, Houston and Cincy were non value adds

Acc will die a little slower as they aren’t losing their two flagship programs yet. But the drastic difference in money will make it happen
The Big 12s TV deal was already signed factoring in the UT and OU departure. They still easily jumped the ACC and Pac in value which caused the Pac to finish off the implosion. The ACC GoR is the only reason they haven't imploded yet at this point, because FSU and Clemson would jump in a f***ing second and you don't think the B1G wants to plant their flag in VA and NC? UNC and UVA will jump the second the B1G offers once the GoR is no longer an issue, especially after the stupidity of the conference adding value dilutive teams in Stanford and Cal the entire way across the f***ing country

Reactions: Tryamw

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Was with you until the Georgia part. Sorry, not this year unless we're talking an 8 team tourney. Ohio State was more impressive to me this season. The SEC was way down this year and the only team of any quality that Georgia smoked was a very overrated Ole Miss team. The pedos were better than anyone Georgia beat this year by a fair margin.
Sure, that's fine. My larger point stands: with a four team playoff, a possible national championship winner will frequently be home watching. With a 12 team playoff, that's far less likely. Georgia may not be top 4, but they could absolutely win a two game playoff against anyone. No way FSU could say the same.

...especially after the stupidity of the conference adding value dilutive teams in Stanford and Cal the entire way across the f***ing country

ACC: A Coastal Conference (except Louisville and Notre Dame and not really Pittsburgh)

Reactions: DaveG

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I'll hold off the anger until this same scenario inevitably happens again, but oh it's a school the committee likes so they overlook the late season lost of their elite qb and get them into the wild card

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'll hold off the anger until this same scenario inevitably happens again, but oh it's a school the committee likes so they overlook the late season lost of their elite qb and get them into the wild card
I mean we already had that. The Bucknuts when they jumped TCU/Rapelor to get into the playoffs the first year of it because they beat a garbage Wisconsin team in the B1G CCG with their 3rd string QB. If anything the ACC refs should have done everything in their power to help FSU boat race Louisville.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
There's no scenario to keep everybody happy. Even last year people were complaining because Michigan and Ohio State didn't draw each other in the playoff. Next year there's going to be complaining that 10-3 Ole Miss didn't get in.

Again I say, college football fanboy wanted chaos. College football fanboy got chaos. College football fanboy should realize that chaos means exactly that.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
There's no scenario to keep everybody happy. Even last year people were complaining because Michigan and Ohio State didn't draw each other in the playoff. Next year there's going to be complaining that 10-3 Ole Miss didn't get in.
Yes, nothing ever makes everyone happy -- but there's a big difference between #13 and #5 in college football. A big, big, big difference. #13 isn't winning a national championship. #5 might.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad