Value of: Nazem Kadri

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't know what this thread is even about anymore. So I guess I will just state what Kadri is to the leafs.

Kadri is a high end 2C being paid like a low end 2C that has the ability to match up against 1C respectably enough that it shelters other lines. His production last year has him trending into the low end 1C category making low end 2C money as stated earlier. This along with the fact he is fairly gritty and very in your face competitive makes for a player on an amazing contract playing the perfect role on his hometown team.

Basically Kadri is a core puzzle piece to the Leafs and it would take a huge overpay to get him. A quote... Bowman "Kadri is a guy you can win with".

OK now what does all this mean to other teams. Kadri is available for a price your teams would probably not pay so he is kinda not really available but he is.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't know what this thread is even about anymore. So I guess I will just state what Kadri is to the leafs.

Kadri is a high end 2C being paid like a low end 2C that has the ability to match up against 1C respectably enough that it shelters other lines. His production last year has him trending into the low end 1C category making low end 2C money as stated earlier. This along with the fact he is fairly gritty and very in your face competitive makes for a player on an amazing contract playing the perfect role on his hometown team.

Basically Kadri is a core puzzle piece to the Leafs and it would take a huge overpay to get him. A quote... Bowman "Kadri is a guy you can win with".

OK now what does all this mean to other teams. Kadri is available for a price your teams would probably not pay so he is kinda not really available but he is.

Gold star.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
So in a thread about the value of Kadri, someone brings up David Clarkson. Awesome, woke me right up. :biglaugh:

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
So what's your point? You've used literally the worst example ever to effectively illustrate the "technicality" of Kadri's 30 goal label. What's your point? Are you saying that Kadri is not going to do it again? That it was a fluke? You made the "factual" but boneheaded point that Kadri only scored 20 once before, which I take to mean that you are doubting Kadri's ability as a player. So do you have a point with regards to Kadri or are you just smugly bringing up Clarkson in the name of semantics and labels?

What part of the following you don't understand? ONE 30 goals season doesn't make a player into a "30 goals scorer" all of a sudden. That's my darn point. This is the THIRD time that I write the same thing. Do I need to write it a fourth or more, or do you think that you will get it this time?

Oh and the fact that Kadri hit 32 goals (a 60% - SIXTY PERCENT - increase over his previous best. It's not like he was a 25-28 goals guy who suddenly went over the bump. We're talking a 17-20 goals guy for ever, ffs) in season 7 (SEVEN) isn't exactly spelling "warm & cozy" over his chances of now being a constant 30 goals scorer, just so you know. It might happen, just as it might not. I call it 50/50 chance at absolute, optimistic best. By the way... "Doubting Kadri"??? Are we talking about Jesus here? WTF.

Last edited:

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
What part of the following you don't understand? ONE 30 goals season doesn't make a player into a "30 goals scorer" all of a sudden. That's my darn point. This is the THIRD time that I write the same thing. Do I need to write it a fourth or more, or do you think that you will get it this time?

Oh and the fact that Kadri hit 32 goals (a SIXTY PERCENT increase over his previous best) in season 7 (SEVEN) isn't exactly spelling "warm & cozy" over his chances of now being a constant 30 goals scorer, just so you know. It might happen, just as it might not. I call it 50/50 chance.

actually, that is the definition lol :laugh:

Does winning the stanley cup make you a stanley cup champion?
Does killing someone, make you a killer?

But, But you only did it once. :shakehead

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

Forgot 1) when I wrote it's technically correct and 2) when I wrote "constant". The devil is in the little details, isn't it?

Trying to sell Kadri's value as a 30 goals scorer is premature.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
"Glorification" is more appropriate. There were even some talking about Kadri for Josi... :laugh:

Is Marchand a ppg superstar? I think the point is Kadri is doing everything we need and want out of him. Replacing him can't be done and so he isn't on the block regardless of how you interpret his value. He is a core player.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Is Marchand a ppg superstar? I think the point is Kadri is doing everything we need and want out of him. Replacing him can't be done and so he isn't on the block regardless of how you interpret his value. He is a core player.

What does Kadri have to do with Marchand?

If you are trying to equate them... I am pretty sure there would be a large consensus on Marchand over Kadri...

TBC

Dec 22, 2016
Forgot 1) when I wrote it's technically correct and 2) when I wrote "constant". The devil is in the little details, isn't it?

Trying to sell Kadri's value as a 30 goals scorer is premature.

I never was selling Kadri as a 30 goal scorer. Kadri is more of a 20-25 goal scorer who may reach 30 a couple times in his career.

I was just saying that Kadri is a shut-down centre because he did it for a full season.
Just like you are technically a 30 goal scorer if you score 30 goals.
Just like you are a Stanley Cup champion if you win the Cup.

Kadri is a shut-down centre until he stops succeeding in that role.

Also you act like Kadri is some 30 year old player. He is only 26 and has been misused his entire NHL career until Babcock came. He's finally reached some of his potential and it isn't out of this world to expect him to repeat this year.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012

You're getting confused by the english language with these terribly irrelevant comparisons.

When people say "he's a 30 goal scorer" in evaluating the player, they're typically referring to past present and future, it means he has scored 30 and can continue to score 30. Otherwise, why call him a 30 goal scorer?

Is Kulemin a 30 goal scorer? Is grabovski a career 29 goal scorer? What about Clarkson? Is jason blake a 40 goal scorer?

Sometimes players have anomalously high totals in a season, and Kadri has only broken 20 goals once (with a bare minimum of 20).

Even calling Kadri a 20 goal scorer is a stretch, he's done it 2 times in his career.

TBC

Dec 22, 2016
"Glorification" is more appropriate. There were even some talking about Kadri for Josi... :laugh:

I think you miss understood. I'm pretty sure we all know we would never get Josi for Kadri however at the same time we wouldn't trade him for less. He carries too much value to us and is a core part of our team. We wouldn't move him without an overpayment.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I never was selling Kadri as a 30 goal scorer. Kadri is more of a 20-25 goal scorer who may reach 30 a couple times in his career.

I was just saying that Kadri is a shut-down centre because he did it for a full season.

Whats the cut off point to be considered a shutdown center then? 1 season, 40 games, 20 games?

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012

Also you act like Kadri is some 30 year old player. He is only 26 and has been misused his entire NHL career until Babcock came. He's finally reached some of his potential and it isn't out of this world to expect him to repeat this year.

There are no words in this language to describe how incorrect this statement is.

Kadri suddenly became a lot better defensively just because of how babcock used him, and all his previous coaches were inept and forgot how to coach and used him incorrectly for many many many years in a row?

You're discrediting Kadri for the work he has done to improve himself and carve a role for himself in the NHL.

His defensive role is a product of a kid working hard to figure out what he has to do to succeed at this level. He found his niche, and he did it all on his own.

To suggest that he was always this good and the coach's magically managed to limit his effectiveness into half the player he is today.... is completely nuts.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
What does Kadri have to do with Marchand?

If you are trying to equate them... I am pretty sure there would be a large consensus on Marchand over Kadri...

Because if the poster believes that Marchand is that, then his entire argument falls on itself. Only assuming he arbitrarily used Marchand as an example because he's a bruins fan.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
This is also a "what would other teams give up for him" thread and there is... not a lot of that happening here.

TBC

Dec 22, 2016
Whats the cut off point to be considered a shutdown center then? 1 season, 40 games, 20 games?
A full season is the exact time frame I used in my post.
There are no words in this language to describe how incorrect this statement is.

Kadri suddenly became a lot better defensively just because of how babcock used him, and all his previous coaches were inept and forgot how to coach and used him incorrectly for many many many years in a row?

You're discrediting Kadri for the work he has done to improve himself and carve a role for himself in the NHL.

His defensive role is a product of a kid working hard to figure out what he has to do to succeed at this level. He found his niche, and he did it all on his own.

To suggest that he was always this good and the coach's magically managed to limit his effectiveness into half the player he is today.... is completely nuts.

I am definitely not discrediting Kadri and the work he has put in to improve his two-way game. Who do you think untapped this potential though? Babcock is a huge reason on why he improved that part of his game. Kadri would still be in the NHL if he didn't improve his two-way game, he just would've ended up being a more gifted Bozak.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012

Until they arent one anymore? Like the poster you quoted had said. Its a role that he filled quite well. He'd no longer be one if him and Matthews/Bozak switched roles.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

30 goals, 20 goals, whatever Points is the more commonly used number when assessing value and of course there's a whole lot more to KAdri than point totals. I predicted before the season started that Kadri would average 55-60 points over the next 5 years or so. People who are unable to look past his point totals up to that point laughed but so far so good. This season he did that while matching up against the top lines in the league, it was a very impressive season. He's a player who is coming into his own and those who think he overachieved and are still using point totals from years past to assess his value are out to lunch. Those who have been watching him for his entire career know his value, hell even 99% of those who have been hating on him all his career have come around and now acknowledge his value as a core piece.

A thread about his trade value is nothing more than a theoretical exercise. Of course you never know for sure when someone may knock your socks off with an offer but Kadri is not on the market, he has a relatively unique skill set (similar to Marchand which I'm guessing is the reason he was mentioned) which would be almost impossible to replace. Bottom line, anyone thinking he will be traded should prepare to be dissappointed.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
A full season is the exact time frame I used in my post.

I noticed, i was after a few opinions, because to me one season doesnt earn that label. Two or three seasons is what i feel that takes, playing successfully against the best.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Until they arent one anymore? Like the poster you quoted had said. Its a role that he filled quite well. He'd no longer be one if him and Matthews/Bozak switched roles.

To earn the label, not retain it. Is some rookie that plays 20 games considered a shutdown center?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad