World Cup: National Team threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I really doubt that Egypt or Salah is going to do much at the WC. Salah's no Messi; I don't think he's the type of player that's going to be able to carry a team as the sole threat against good teams. He needs other top players out there creating space for him and finding him when he exploits that space. So if he's going to get big offers from others teams it's going to be based on his domestic season where we see how effective he can be playing with other class players.

Though if a team out there is going to throw money at Salah they should also be throwing money at Firmino to keep them together. Personally I think they love playing for Klopp and Liverpool and will stay for the forseeable future as long as we don't fall off.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
After the discussion of Mustafi & Rudiger, I've been thinking about of who I'd be picking between if I was the german coach. Shame Jogi doesn't return my calls cause he should be picking his 23 from these 40:

FW (10): WM-Müller | Werner | Stindl | Kruse | Reus | Phillipp | Volland | Uth | Draxler | Schurrle
10/8 (9): Özil | Gundogan | Götze | Dahoud | Demirbay | Kramer | Goretzka | Havertz | Can
6 (5): Kroos | Weigl | Geiger | Rudy | Meyer
WB (8): Sane | Kimmich | Brandt | Hector | Weiser | Henrichs | Klostermann | Plattenhart
CB (6): Hummels | Boateng | Sule | Vogt | Kehrer | Tah
GK (2): Neuer | ter Stegen | who cares?

Werner - Müller
Sane - Gundogan - Özil - Kimmich
Kroos
Mats - Boa - Süle
Neuer​

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
After the discussion of Mustafi & Rudiger, I've been thinking about of who I'd be picking between if I was the german coach. Shame Jogi doesn't return my calls cause he should be picking his 23 from these 40:

FW (10): WM-Müller | Werner | Stindl | Kruse | Reus | Phillipp | Volland | Uth | Draxler | Schurrle-nice joke
10/8 (9): Özil | Gundogan | Götze | Dahoud | Demirbay | Kramer | Goretzka | Havertz | Can
WB (8):
Sane | Kimmich | Brandt | Hector | Weiser | Henrichs | Klostermann | Plattenhart

Werner - Müller
Kroos
Mats - Boa - Süle
Neuer​

The bold.

Philipp might be too redundant to Reus and even the Bavarian, but I didn't say I'm not biased. Gotta take a third keeper, so only 22, but I agree, the 1 and 2 is obvious. Might need another player who can play full-back though, if you want to switch formations. Weiser might be the next player in the squad. Dahoud vs. Goretzka was tough to pick, but Goretzka's a better player right now. Mo's lack of playing time might hurt his chances of playing at the World Cup.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Can will go as he can play four different roles. B2B, DM, RB, CB. He probably won't play much but that's super valuable if players get hurt or suspended.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

FW (10): WM-Müller | Werner | Stindl | Kruse | Reus | Phillipp | Volland | Uth | Draxler | Schurrle
6 (5):
Kroos | Weigl | Geiger | Rudy | Meyer | Khedira
WB (8):
Sane | Kimmich | Brandt | Hector | Weiser | Henrichs | Klostermann | Plattenhart
CB (6): Hummels | Boateng | Sule | Vogt | Kehrer | Tah | Mustafi

Werner - Müller
Kroos
Mats - Boa - Süle
Neuer​

Bolded are the 23 I anticipate Low taking. Not the 23 who should go, but the 23 who I think will.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Bolded are the 23 I anticipate Low taking. Not the 23 who should go, but the 23 who I think will.

That’s along the lines of what I’m expecting as well. Maybe Rudiger instead of Mustafi; Rudy in there somewhere, my bet is in place of Weiser; and I really think Stindl has earned his spot as the primary back up to Werner.

He has consistently delivered for the NT since getting his shot at the confed cup and I think Jogi has started to really appreciate having his tenacity & leadership...especially as he’s trying to start turning things over to the new generation when the World Cup winners aren’t available/needed.

So what I expect is:
(5) Muller, Werner, Stindl, Reus, Draxler
(8) Ozil, Gundogan, Goretzka, Can, Khedira, Kroos, Weigl, Rudy
(3) Sane, Kimmich, Hector
(4) Boateng, Hummels, Sule, Rudiger/Mustafi
(3) Neuer, MAtS, whoever

Even if Draxler, Can, Khedira, Rudiger/Mustafi and maybe Goretzka would be replaced by Kruse, Gotze, Brandt, Vogt/Tah, and maybe Kramer/Dahoud in my 23

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

WB (8): Sane | Kimmich | Brandt | Hector | Weiser | Henrichs | Klostermann | Plattenhart

Werner - Müller
Kroos
Mats - Boa - Süle
Neuer​

Honestly, that lineup doesn't put the fear of God in me. Looks very beatable. The attack line is nothing to write home about, Muller is aging and Werner is a question mark. You have the midfield which is great on paper but Ozil is Ozil and Gundogan is a sneeze away from rupturing his spleen. Kroos who soft and lacks defence to cover for the back 3. Sane is good and having a great year under Pep how would ass scratcher use him?

Having said that they'll knock out Argentina in the semis probably 4/5- 0

You think 'who cares" will make it? He might need more seasons to prove himself.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Honestly, that lineup doesn't put the fear of God in me. Looks very beatable. The attack line is nothing to write home about, Muller is aging and Werner is a question mark. You have the midfield which is great on paper but Ozil is Ozil and Gundogan is a sneeze away from rupturing his spleen. Kroos who soft and lacks defence to cover for the back 3. Sane is good and having a great year under Pep how would ass scratcher use him?

Having said that they'll knock out Argentina in the semis probably 4/5- 0

You think 'who cares" will make it? He might need more seasons to prove himself.

Muller isn’t a starter if he doesn’t go into his usual WC-form. Stindl or Reus should quickly replace him if that switch doesn’t flip for him this time around.

...though he’ll have a tough time keeping up with Werner for the golden boot even if he does go full WM-Muller. As I am expecting a huge tourney out of Timo. He’s an awesome striker and already fits the NT beautifully. With Mesut, Ilkay, Sane, Kimmich, Kroos, Boa, Hummels & Neuer to feed him I’ll be shocked if anyone but Muller scores more goals than him this summer.

I do worry about what happens if Ilkay isn’t fit as Jogi won’t pick Demirbay, Dahoud or Kramer. So hopefully Leon is able to keep it simple in possession and just move the ball quickly to Toni, Mesut, Mats , Boa, Kimmich, etc. to do the intricate thinking that’s necessary when we don’t have space to counter into. If it worked Leon could just focus on bringing his immense physical gifts to assist Ozil & Kroos in the midfield battle, running wild with Werner & Sane on the counter, creeping into the box like Vidal or Ballack when we’re in possession :dunno:

As for Sane, he’s been a beast for the NT, even before this season. Hell he was a difference maker at the EM when brought off the bench. So if he were to actually be used opposite Kimmich when we go back 3, I’d have no doubts about him thriving. Though I expect Jogi to start Hector in that spot ahead of him, using Sane as a winger unless we are ever chasing the match and need more than what Hector is giving.

It may not be very intimidating but the defense should be exceptional, and the team can be lethal both on the break and in possession...as long as Ilkay is healthy or his replacement doesn’t slow our possession down too much/become a liability opposing pressers can target. Werner and Muller/Stindl/Reus should score a lot of goals

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
So, Kun with his yearly injury just in time for Argentina's preparation. Looking forward to him hobbling along come June. Assume, this means Martinez to start vs Italy and Dybala to replace Kun.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Tite has called up Brazil with some new faces to face Germany and Russia. Willian José getting his first ever call up.

Goalkeepers
Alisson (Roma), Ederson (M. City), Neto (Valencia)

Defenders
D. Alves (PSG), Geromel (Gremio), F. Luis (A. Madrid), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Marquinhos (PSG), Miranda (Internazionale), Fagner(Corinthians), Rodrigo Caio (São Paulo), T. Silva(PSG)

Midfielders
Casemiro (Real Madrid), Fred (Shakhtar Donetsk), Taison (Shakhtar Donetsk), Fernandinho (M. City), Paulinho (Barcelona), R. Augusto(Benjing), Coutinho (Barcelona), Talisca (Besiktas)

Forwards
Douglas Costa (Juventus), William (Chelsea), R. Firmino (Liverpool), Gabriel Jesus (M. City), Willian José (R. Sociedad)

Last edited:

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Not yet official but Sigurdsson suffered a bad knee injury for Everton this weekend and could miss the entire season and thus the World Cup, further tests will determine the actual duration of the injury. Huge blow for Iceland, although they are known for their team work ethic, organization etc.., Sigurdsson is pretty much their offensive engine

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Him and Douglas Costa are also very similar and both won't start. Stands to reason he would only bring one.

I feel like it depends on where he sees Coutinho at. If Couts is just a midfielder in his mind, wouldn't make much sense to call Renato Augusto and the winger depth chart would look like Neymar/Douglas and William/? which probably would open a spot for Malcom. Now with Coutinho as a winger, there's little room for him and you need to call a midfielder (I'd rather Arthur over Renato, but Arthur has just returned from injury and hasn't played much this season).

It really amazes me how Argentina fails to produce any kind of decent goaltending

Boca's keeper looks promising. Agustín Rossi, 22. To your point, one of the GKs in Superliga is a 40-year-old lol

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
@Duchene2MacKinnon

What happened to Rulli this season? He looked really good whenever I saw him previously and seemed like an excellent modern sweeper-keeper. Now he's the only part of my fantasy draft team from last summer who isn't making me look like a genius. :scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad