World Cup: National Team threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I can't find the thread, so close this one if I skipped it.

Deschamps just called up 4 new players for the next french games :
Benjamin Mendy (deserved, it was between him and Digne).
Florian Thauvin (he's played well, but really... arguable).
Corentin Tolisso (though he's not as supermanish as earlier this season, he deserves this).
Kylian Mbappé (YES ! 11 goals in his last 8 games).

Some outrageous things in this list :
1/Adil Rami called up. FOR **** SAKE, we have zillions of good to great CB and we call up Adil MF Rami ! We're left with Kos, Umtiti, Rami and Kimpembe. No Laporte, no Varane (injured though), no Zouma, etc...
2/ Bacary Sagna is called up to be Sidibé's backup. HELLO? We have Corchia????
3/ Last but certainly not least, Alexandre Lacazette hasn't been called up.
Giroud and Thauvin are apparently good enough, but not Lacazette? Nor Fekir? Seriously??? Thauvin is arguable for Fekir, but Fekir is slowly coming back to shape. As for Giroud over Lacazette, it's scandalous.

That midfield though :amazed: : Matuidi, Pogba, Lemar, Kanté, Tolisso, Rabiot :banana:

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
That's why Wenger didn't break the bank for Lacazzete. Dude already got the best french striker. :sarcasm:

Benzema, Martial and Lacazzete all out... France has so many good strikers. Although I think they're all better than Giroud, Gameiro, and Thauvin.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
i can't find the thread, so close this one if i skipped it.

Benjamin mendy (deserved, it was between him and digne).
Florian thauvin (he's played well, but really... Arguable).
Corentin tolisso (though he's not as supermanish as earlier this season, he deserves this).
Kylian mbappé (yes ! 11 goals in his last 8 games).

1/adil rami called up. For **** sake, we have zillions of good to great cb and we call up adil mf rami ! We're left with kos, umtiti, rami and kimpembe. No laporte, no varane (injured though), no zouma, etc...
2/ bacary sagna is called up to be sidibé's backup. Hello? We have corchia????
3/ last but certainly not least, alexandre lacazette hasn't been called up.
Giroud and thauvin are apparently good enough, but not lacazette? Nor fekir? Seriously??? Thauvin is arguable for fekir, but fekir is slowly coming back to shape. As for giroud over lacazette, it's scandalous.

That midfield though :amazed: : Matuidi, pogba, lemar, kanté, tolisso, rabiot :banana:

mbappé is the 1st player born after France's 98 WC win to be called up. feeling old

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
lol how did Lacazette not make the team? Wow.

In other news Woodburn (17) has been called up for Wales' world cup qualifiers. Given their relative lack of depth and injury situation there's a very good chance he'll play also. He's fantastic for his age, and I think Wales is the better option for him (instead of England) anyway.

Netherlands have some key injuries (van Dijk, de Vrij, Sneijder) so hopefully they can still put something strong together. Memphis coming into form should be good though and as long as Strootman and Wijnaldum can stay healthy the midfield should be ok.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I can't find the thread, so close this one if I skipped it.

Benjamin Mendy (deserved, it was between him and Digne).
Florian Thauvin (he's played well, but really... arguable).
Corentin Tolisso (though he's not as supermanish as earlier this season, he deserves this).
Kylian Mbappé (YES ! 11 goals in his last 8 games).

1/Adil Rami called up. FOR **** SAKE, we have zillions of good to great CB and we call up Adil MF Rami ! We're left with Kos, Umtiti, Rami and Kimpembe. No Laporte, no Varane (injured though), no Zouma, etc...
2/ Bacary Sagna is called up to be Sidibé's backup. HELLO? We have Corchia????
3/ Last but certainly not least, Alexandre Lacazette hasn't been called up.
Giroud and Thauvin are apparently good enough, but not Lacazette? Nor Fekir? Seriously??? Thauvin is arguable for Fekir, but Fekir is slowly coming back to shape. As for Giroud over Lacazette, it's scandalous.

That midfield though :amazed: : Matuidi, Pogba, Lemar, Kanté, Tolisso, Rabiot :banana:

Why are you so high on Zouma? You've been high on him since a long time, but the last 2 seasons have been disastrous for him. He doesn't deserve a call up.

Why Deschamps hates Laporte though? I know he hasn't been amazing this season but still a lot better than Rami. I agree not calling up Lacazette is scanadalous. WTF?

Turtleneck Plek

Real Life
Mar 23, 2008
Montreal
Lacazette not making the team is absolutely ridiculous. I expected it though, it seems that no matter what Giroud's play is like at any given time with Arsenal, since he's been decent with the NT, he's a lock every time. I'd take Lacazette before Thauvin as well but they don't play the same position so I sort of get it. Rami is another head-scratcher, if DD is bent on using these two games to try out new, younger players, might as well call up someone like Laporte and see what he's worth.

With that said, really happy to see Mbappé, Mendy and Tolisso with the team, also Lemar and Dembélé called up again. Time to let the young guys shine.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Why are you so high on Zouma? You've been high on him since a long time, but the last 2 seasons have been disastrous for him. He doesn't deserve a call up.

Why Deschamps hates Laporte though? I know he hasn't been amazing this season but still a lot better than Rami. I agree not calling up Lacazette is scanadalous. WTF?

You can't say he's been disastrous, he's been out for more than a year. He sure deserves a callup more than Rami, based on talent alone. That's not even talking about Laporte.

Lacazette, I just don't understand. I think DD wants an aerial threat on a team of midget (Griez, Gameiro, etc....), but frankly, Lacazette would probably be called on any NT in the world.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

Disastrous? He destroyed his knee and has only just now come back into the first team from that. Chelsea are in a groove, so he hasn't displaced anyone in the XI. If any of the CBs at Chelsea falter, I'd wager Conte puts him in pretty quickly. Before his knee gave he was progressing incredibly. He's definitely better than Adil fricking Rami of all players.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
We're left with Kos, Umtiti, Rami and Kimpembe. No Laporte, no Varane (injured though), no Zouma, etc...

Speaking of Umtiti, I saw a pretty cool stat last week

In La Liga this season, when Umtiti doesn't play Barça are 2-3-6
When he's in the lineup they are 16-0-0

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah, Umtiti has grown nicely. Still don't think he's more than a solid CB, but he should start with Varane over Koscielny, who I never rated at the highest level.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Speaking of Umtiti, I saw a pretty cool stat last week

In La Liga this season, when Umtiti doesn't play Barça are 2-3-6
When he's in the lineup they are 16-0-0

He's nothing special... definitely shouldn't be an out an out starter for Barca.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Given the CBs Barca has had over the years, I'd say Umtiti is Barca material.
I agree he's nothing special, but he's definitely a good CB.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Koscielny has been a tire-fire this season. Shouldn't be on the French NT. Neither should Giroud.

Hell, only Ox/Alexis should be on the respective NT this season.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Koscielny has been a tire-fire this season. Shouldn't be on the French NT. Neither should Giroud.

Hell, only Ox/Alexis should be on the respective NT this season.

Have you seen the Arsenal games without Kos? He definitely is a quality CB.

I'm of the opinion that Giroud has a place in the NT, because if you need to score in the last 10-15 mins of a game, he's the perfect guy to get in. Not as a starter though.

I would have picked Lacazette over Gameiro. Gameiro is good, but I don't see him a starter, and as a sub I'd pick Giroud over him.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

I know they have a few injuries but there are still some very questionable picks. Shaw over Baines? Lingard over Walcott? Livermore? No Wilshere?

Really happy to see Antonio, Redmond, Ward-Prowse, Keane and Defoe there though.

Last edited:

oilers92

Jan 26, 2010
Edmonton
I know they have a few injuries but there are still some very questionable picks. Shaw over Baines? Lingard over Walcott? Livermore? No Wilshere?

Really happy to see Antonio, Redmond, Ward-Prowse, Keane and Defoe there though.

Southgate is a huge fan of Lingard's from the youth team days, he also praised him last time he played for England. As for Shaw he said he's trying to give him a boost, i imagine they are also trying to get rid of some of the older guys who have been in the team and focus on some youth with a friendly they were hardly ever going to win and qualifier they should walk knows as good a time as any to experiment.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Southgate is a huge fan of Lingard's from the youth team days, he also praised him last time he played for England. As for Shaw he said he's trying to give him a boost, i imagine they are also trying to get rid of some of the older guys who have been in the team and focus on some youth with a friendly they were hardly ever going to win and qualifier they should walk knows as good a time as any to experiment.

All whilst they bring in a 34 y/o Defoe? I can give him a pass on deciding to pick Shaw I guess, but Walcott should absolutely be in that squad. I like the idea of giving Redmond a try, so that leaves Lingard.

I would probably have liked to have seen Deeney over Vardy too.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Given the CBs Barca has had over the years, I'd say Umtiti is Barca material.
I agree he's nothing special, but he's definitely a good CB.

Name 2 out an out 2 starters for barca over the years that Umititi is better than.

If you agree that's nothing special what's the argument?:laugh:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I said he was nothing more than a solid CB.
I argued about you saying he was no Barca quality.
Outside Piqué, Barca hasn't had a very good CB since Puyol. Umtiti isn't a DM either. And he's lefty which is a nice addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad