World Cup: National Team threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah a Fabinho/Fernandinho midfield would make them even better. But it's unlikely they'll bench the RM starter.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
We should probably cool it on the praise for him. Bundesliga types were hyping up Dante as a CB option for Brazil in 2014 and we all saw how that turned out. :D He has been very good this year though.

What is Fabinho's status with Brazil? He hasn't made an appearance since 2016. I know they did very well in qualifying and there was no reason to mess with a good thing, but he should have been more in the mix.

:laugh:

I don't think Tite likes Fabinho for some reason. First I thought he was ignored cause he played for Monaco but then he started calling Jemerson up... If it were up to me, I'd call Arthur, Fred, and Fabinho with Fabinho-Arthur being the starters.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The Fabinho thing is the same as the other players mentioned in the last few conversations. It's probably because he never played a single first team game in Brazil. It's really dumb but they have so many players to choose from.

At the very least Fred should be there considering he did play for a big team.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The Fabinho thing is the same as the other players mentioned in the last few conversations. It's probably because he never played a single first team game in Brazil. It's really dumb but they have so many players to choose from.

At the very least Fred should be there considering he did play for a big team.

Ah that brings back memories... LOOL. He was a joke of a player that got hyped in a joke tournament. Can't believe people bought the hype. (different Fred I know)

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
BTW, Fabinho scored another penalty this weekend.
He's 16/16 in league career and has only one miss : that famous one against BVB.
Antoher point that makes him worthy of selection.4

He's been much better and unsurprisingly, Monaco is hot. Last 11 games, 8 wins, 3 draws. Lemar is also back so that helps.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
BTW, Fabinho scored another penalty this weekend.
He's 16/16 in league career and has only one miss : that famous one against BVB.
Antoher point that makes him worthy of selection.4

He's been much better and unsurprisingly, Monaco is hot. Last 11 games, 8 wins, 3 draws. Lemar is also back so that helps.

They're probably benefiting from not having extra European matches to wear them out now.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They've been godawful for awhile now... so doubtful.

Is that a coaching thing, or is it just that their kids aren't yet ready to take the torch from the oldies...who are no longer good enough to keep everything afloat on their own?

Cause they have one of the more exciting upcoming generations...at least for someone as obsessed with midfield play as I am.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
They're probably benefiting from not having extra European matches to wear them out now.
Sure and they don't have much depth.
But I think there were other problems :
- integrating new players
- Lemar's injury
- changing the system
- Lemar's injury
- that left side with Jemerson sucking, Mendy and Bakayoko gone and Lemar injured
- Lemar's injury

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Is that a coaching thing, or is it just that their kids aren't yet ready to take the torch from the oldies...who are no longer good enough to keep everything afloat on their own?

Cause they have one of the more exciting upcoming generations...at least for someone as obsessed with midfield play as I am.

I think it's more about coach Tabarez than anything else. It's not like they've got some elite roster, but he usually prefers a more defensive approach and he's the kind of coach that rates grit over technic. He also called up some has-been guys like Arevalo Rios and Alvaro Pereira that have no business being there at all.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
I haven't been watching a ton of Monaco this season but I've read a lot of criticism about his play as well. Anyway, when Tite makes his mind about something he usually doesn't change it no matter what, see Renato Augusto. I think it's Jemerson to lose with Geromel being the most popular choice and R. Caio the most technically capable player and versatile (can play as CB, DM and some RB) option.
Rodrigo Caio is the most overrated player I have ever seen. He went to the National team for his fair play against Corinthians. That was, by far, the worst decision by Tite managing the team.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Rodrigo Caio is the most overrated player I have ever seen. He went to the National team for his fair play against Corinthians. That was, by far, the worst decision by Tite managing the team.

Well, he was called up to the NT in 2016 and was one of the best CB in the Olympics so I don't think he got called up solely because of that incident (though he was having a bad year like the entire SP team). I won't argue about him being overrated. It's a fair opinion given that he's played mostly on bad teams, but when they got him a solid partner and some midfielder help in Arboleda and Petros he returned to his good form even though the team had the worst pair of FBs in the league and a terrible GK.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Well, he was called up to the NT in 2016 and was one of the best CB in the Olympics so I don't think he got called up solely because of that incident (though he was having a bad year like the entire SP team). I won't argue about him being overrated. It's a fair opinion given that he's played mostly on bad teams, but when they got him a solid partner and some midfielder help in Arboleda and Petros he returned to his good form even though the team had the worst pair of FBs in the league and a terrible GK.
Well, they were playing against nobody at the olympics so I don't consider a huge plus for him.
He is a fine player, don't get me wrong, but he shouldn't sniff a spot in the NT, there are so much better CBs out there.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Not sure where to put this...

But FIFA just charged my card for Tickets! I'll be at the Round of 16 Match in Moscow (Winners Group B vs Runner-up Group A) on July 2!

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Not sure where to put this...

But FIFA just charged my card for Tickets! I'll be at the Round of 16 Match in Moscow (Winners Group B vs Runner-up Group A) on July 2!

If I had to guess that's Egypt against Spain. Will be great to be there live and see Salah run through their whole team.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
So, because i have nothing else to do... I checked up on the brackets, figured out Argentina has to go through one of Portugal (most likely Spain) and Germany to reach the finals. Welp that was fun.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Ascacibar has been gathering intel on German players this year so he can put them in his pocket at the key moment.
That would be awesome to see except for the fact that he's going to be watching the game with the rest of us.

Biglia is in dispensable sadly because he doesn't even deserve to be in the squad.

Reactions: Deficient Mode

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
That would be awesome to see except for the fact that he's going to be watching the game with the rest of us.

Biglia is in dispensable sadly because he doesn't even deserve to be in the squad.
It really pains me that Argentina could field a midfield of

Paredes-Perotti
Ascacibar

but we won't see anything similar to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad