World Cup: National Team threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Would have taken one of Kondogbia or N'Zonzi to play alongside Kante and allow Pogba to play the 10. Then load up the wings/striker with guys like Mbappe, Greizmann and Dembele:

Lloris
Sidibe - Varane - Umtiti - Mendy
Kante - N'Zonzi
Pogba
Greizmann - Mbappe - Dembele​

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Rabiot and Tolisso deserve their place over Nzonzi IMO. Kondogbia is red hot coming off injury so he had a shot, but Tolisso has been amazing from what I've read (and the few I've seen) and Rabiot is highly underrated here.
I don't like Pogba at #10 frankly. Griez there is nice.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
*shrug* biscuits is better than Toni, but Mesut is better than Silva & Ilkay is better than Thiago on the rare occasions that both are fit. So man for man it’s a wash, but the support our midfield gets from the guys behind them is much more than what the Spanish midfielders enjoy. Being able to play it back through Boateng, Hummels, Neuer & Kimmich is why our midfielder has a much easier job to do for us to control the midfield battle against them.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Rabiot and Tolisso deserve their place over Nzonzi IMO. Kondogbia is red hot coming off injury so he had a shot, but Tolisso has been amazing from what I've read (and the few I've seen) and Rabiot is highly underrated here.
I don't like Pogba at #10 frankly. Griez there is nice.

I would love to see DD leave Rabiot on the bench whenever we run into each other.

Hopefully he doesn’t realize what you could do if you had Rabiot pulling the strings behind Kante & Pogba/Tolisso

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
*shrug* biscuits is better than Toni, but Mesut is better than Silva & Ilkay is better than Thiago on the rare occasions that both are fit. So man for man it’s a wash, but the support our midfield gets from the guys behind them is much more than what the Spanish midfielders enjoy. Being able to play it back through Boateng, Hummels, Neuer & Kimmich is why our midfielder has a much easier job to do for us to control the midfield battle against them.
I would take Silva and Thiago over both of Gundogan and Ozil pretty easily. Also between Alba, Carvajal and Pique they've got plenty of support behind and better support up front as well with Isco, Morata and Asensio.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I would take Silva and Thiago over both of Gundogan and Ozil pretty easily. Also between Alba, Carvajal and Pique they've got plenty of support behind and better support up front as well with Isco, Morata and Asensio.

Thiago’s beautiful but he’s not Ilkay, Silva used to be Mesut’s peer, but not anymore. That attack provides no more support than Werner, Sane & Muller/Stindl; and their back line + keeper is still a big downgrade from ours

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Silva over Ozil is probably the most clear upgrade in midfield of the 3 IMO. Especially in his current form.

We'll see. Coaching will have a large effect also, but if I'm taking a midfield to be the best at the tournament it would be Busquets, Silva and Thiago.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Bruma and Marcos Lopes cant even make Portugals call ups..amazing depth for the first time since maybe 2006, probably even better. Gelson Martins, Guedes, Bernardo Silva, Quaresma, Ronaldo,

Nelson Semedo and Danilo coming back from injury will push out Cancelo and Ruben Neves unfortunately, but their time will come after the world Cup.

Some hard choices to be made in centre midfield. Andre Gomes shouldnt be anywhere close to the national team come the world cup due to the emergence of Bruno Fernandes, and Manuel Fernandes is finally getting the recognition of being the most purely skilled portugeuse CM this past generation..its a shame he just decided to chase money in Russia and turkey over the majority of it:(

Joao Mario, while talented, has had a horrendous season, and Adrien was only able to start playing in January.

William Carvalho
Danilo
Adrien
Joao Moutinho
Manuel Fernandes
Andre Gomes
Bruno Fernandes
Joao Mario

Goncalo Guedes
Gelson Martins
Bruma
C Ronaldo
Quaresma
Rony Lopes
Bernardo Silva
Andre Silva
Nani (thankfully seems to finally be not considered, justified after his shambolic season and the youth coming up like Guedes who has been amazing for Valencia)

Some hard choices will have to be made.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Bruma and Marcos Lopes cant even make Portugals call ups..amazing depth for the first time since maybe 2006, probably even better. Gelson Martins, Guedes, Bernardo Silva, Quaresma, Ronaldo,

Nelson Semedo and Danilo coming back from injury will push out Cancelo and Ruben Neves unfortunately, but their time will come after the world Cup.

Some hard choices to be made in centre midfield. Andre Gomes shouldnt be anywhere close to the national team come the world cup due to the emergence of Bruno Fernandes, and Manuel Fernandes is finally getting the recognition of being the most purely skilled portugeuse CM this past generation..its a shame he just decided to chase money in Russia and turkey over the majority of it:(

Joao Mario, while talented, has had a horrendous season, and Adrien was only able to start playing in January.

It's massively difficult to make a first XI out of that group. Ronaldo, Guedes, Bernardo, and Martins should be the front four, but I'm sure they won't. Carvalho should be certain for the middle, Guerreiro and Semedo for fullbacks I'd say. Rui Patricio in goal. Rest is tough. CB's not good.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That may be the answer you're looking for, but the right answer is Thiago > than the rest of them.

You have a really weird understanding of the term "right". I use it to mean the word "correct", but I understand if you meant it in some other context.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Croatia are playing Peru and Mexico in the international break, expected lineup:

Subasic
Vrsaljko - Lovren/Corluka - Vida - Strinic
Modric - Kovacic - Rakitic
Kramaric - Mandzukic - Perisic

Midfield is top-tier, hopefully Pjaca and Corluka are fully fit come the World Cup.
Our one hole is still LB, and has been since Jarni retired, but at least Strinic is adequate defensively.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Belgium play a meaningless friendly against Saudi Arabia and everyone thought (and hoped) Martinez would try out some new guys and give the top players a rest.. instead he only called up 1 new player, left winger Anthony Limbombe from Belgian league leaders Club Brugge. :thumbd:

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Filipe Luis has fractured his fibula, he's out of the season and will miss the WC. This sucks so bad, dude was playing right well and deserved to be in a WC. Alex Sandro will be Marcelo's backup if no more injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad