World Cup: National Team threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Brazil has excellent keepers. There was a time where their keepers were nearly as bad as Argentina's.

They never were that bad but neglected Alves who was their best keeper for a stretch. Also Argentina's Romero on paper is bad but unlike most of Argentinians he elevates his play for the NT... been a solid soldier for them for the past decade. No complaints.

It really amazes me how Argentina fails to produce any kind of decent goaltending

Or any kind of decent talent really. Other than strikers anyway. Midfield has been abysmal for awhile as is defenders and full backs is a joke.

Boca's keeper looks promising. Agustín Rossi, 22. To your point, one of the GKs in Superliga is a 40-year-old lol

Still have my hopes on Werner and obviously Rulli.

@Duchene2MacKinnon

What happened to Rulli this season? He looked really good whenever I saw him previously and seemed like an excellent modern sweeper-keeper. Now he's the only part of my fantasy draft team from last summer who isn't making me look like a genius. :scared:

Between AFA ignoring him and City ditching him that shot his confidence. He's currently injured and La Real brought in Moya... so he should find a place maybe in the Italian league to bounce back.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'd be really interested to see what people think England NT's best line-up/formation is. With or without Kane. Looking forward to the game on the 23rd.

Given the call-ups...

Pope
Walker - Stones - Maguire - Rose
Henderson
Chambo - Dele
Sterling - Vardy - Rashford​

DYVXaNsWAAEwbep.jpg

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
How are england planning to play? Park the bus and hope for counters/set pieces, or Kloppian press-n-counter? They don't currently have the midfielders to play a possession heavy game but whether they plan to sit back without the ball or come out to win it back, should make some big differences.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
How are england planning to play? Park the bus and hope for counters/set pieces, or Kloppian press-n-counter? They don't currently have the midfielders to play a possession heavy game but whether they plan to sit back without the ball or come out to win it back, should make some big differences.

Based on all evidence from friendlies, the first way.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That's one of the best France squads in a while. Very little dead weight.

They're definitely the team I'm most anxious about. Brazil won't be as good as they could be and Spain isn't quite on the same level as us or the frenchies.
Based on all evidence from friendlies, the first way.

Makes sense. Though the players available fit a high-pressing game, that's tough to organize when not just about every club in the league plays that way.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
They're definitely the team I'm most anxious about. Brazil won't be as good as they could be and Spain isn't quite on the same level as us or the frenchies.

Don't worry I'm sure DD will bring Gignac back and start Koscielny every game.

Reactions: cgf

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
True, but Jogi reminded everyone at the EM that with a little help from injuries, he can out-idiot DD

Yeah that's definitely true. And about the Spain point it's still extremely difficult for me to not regard them as a semi finalist at worst. They just have so many players in form right now.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah that's definitely true. And about the Spain point it's still extremely difficult for me to not regard them as a semi finalist at worst. They just have so many players in form right now.

Oh I expect Spain in the Semis, but I think both us & the frenchies should best them at that stage. If the final isn't Germany v France, it'll be an upset.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Spain is on the same level as Germany and France tbh. So too should be Belgium if they can get some decent coaching.

England will probably keep the 352/343. Gareth Southgate commits to back three for England’s World Cup mission

If not that then 4231. With no injuries:

Pickford
Stones Jones Maguire
Walker -----------------------Rose
Henderson Dier
Alli Sterling
Kane​

Dier is pretty...dire.

Also Gomez over Jones in a back 3 (given his performances with England I wouldn't be surprised if he earned a starting spot there before the WC, not too much competition there).

If they're going to be playing a counter game something like this wouldn't be awful:

Pope
Gomez - Stones - Maguire
Walker -------- Henderson -------- Rose
Chambo - Dele
Sterling - Vardy*​

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Spain is on the same level as Germany and France tbh. So too should be Belgium if they can get some decent coaching.

Convince me that they're not just a lesser version of Germany. Their possession game could see them control the ball against France, but France are the best suited of this trio to play on the counter, and Spain wouldn't win the midfield battle against us.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Spain's midfield is better than Germany's and one of the main reasons I think they have a good shot to make it all the way.

Busquets
Thiago - Silva
They should probably play a diamond with Isco behind Morata and Costa.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
@Evilo, who are the back up full-backs?

Why call in Lucas instead of Theo? Neither plays that much this season, but Lucas is probably CB #6 in the squad, Theo could be the back up LB. Is Mendy going to return for the WC?

Am I crazy or Pogba doesn't start in that midfield? Definitely would have Rabiot and Kante in there. Pogba to compete for the last spot with Tolisso and potentially Lemar.

Mbappe-Griezmann-Dembele front 3? Who does Coman replace in the squad when he returns? Actually, looks like two who need to be replaced, since 24 were called in. Thauvin and Ben Yedder? I'd suggest Giroud but does Deschamps want a big striker? Does Fekir have any chance to make the team?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think DD has chosen to have a BL/CB and RB/CB (Lucas and Pavard). Not sure he plans to put at LB, but Digne's recent games with the NT were good.
At RB, Sidibe is starting except for injury, he's having another fantastic season. The one defenseman who shouldn't be there is Koscielny. DD will bring him this summer however most likely.

In midfield, Pogba will start, I'm pretty sure of it. Kante as well. If they play 4-2-3-1, they'll be the two starters. Matuidi, Rabiot and Tolisso will be backups.
If they play a 4-2-3-1, there's a chance he starts this :

-----------Mbappe-Griezmann----------
Lemar------------------------------------Dembele
-------------Kante-Pogba------------------
Digne-Umtiti-Varane-Sidibe
-------------Lloris---------------

Of course, there's always the chance he starts Giroud and puts Mbappe on the left instead of Lemar.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Martial also has an outside chance of taking over Lemar.

Also, here are the lists of the absentees :
Injured with a chance of going to the WC : Fekir, Mendy (if he gets into form, he starts at LB).
Injured with not much of a chance of going : Lacazette, Coman
Not called up : Laporte (why he isn't instead of Kos I don't know), Kurzawa (career going into ashes right now), Amavi (after a strong half season, he hasn't been as good lately), Nzonzi (too much depth in midfield), Bakayoko (ditto), Kondogbia (again), Payet (who's red hot and at his best level, but not good enough) and SISSOKO !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad