World Cup: National Team threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Brazilian manager Tite named 15 players who are guaranteed World Cup spots (barring injuries of course).

Goalkeepers: Alisson (Roma)
Defenders: Dani Alves (PSG), Marquinhos (PSG), Thiago Silva (PSG), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Miranda (Inter Milan)
Midfielders: Fernandinho (Manchester City), Paulinho (Barcelona), Casemiro (Real Madrid), Renato Augusto (Beijing Guoan)
Forwards: Neymar (PSG), Gabriel Jesus (Manchester City), Willian (Chelsea), Roberto Firmino (Liverpool), Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)

So there are only 8 roster spots open of which two will be goalkeepers.

I hope the other 6 are their real midfield

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Could still make a WC winner out of that. Pretty easily imo.

Firmino
Neymar - Coutinho - Jesus
Casemiro - Fernandinho
Marcelo - Silva - Marquinhos - Alves
Alisson
That is a sick team. Too bad they don't have Jorginho.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Tite will bench Firmino, I guarantee. For some dumb reason the player doesn't have a good reputation in Brazil and won't start. Therefore they won't win anything.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I think Brazil have enough quality to win without Firmino. I still think he'll start though at some point in the tournament.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Firmino
Casemiro - Fernandinho
Alisson
Sadly I agree not sure about easily however, they have a good squad on paper.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
I hope the other 6 are their real midfield

Don't worry, Tite is scouting Jadson :laugh:

It probably gonna be 2 GKs (Ederson and Cassio/Vanderlei/Grohe), a CB (Jemerson/Rodrigo Caio/Geromel), Douglas Costa, Arthur, a backup RB (Danilo/Fagner/Edilson), backup LB (Filipe Luis or Alex Sandro), and a wildcard (Richarlison, Malcom, Neres, Allan, Jadson?).

Tite will bench Firmino, I guarantee. For some dumb reason the player doesn't have a good reputation in Brazil and won't start. Therefore they won't win anything.

Media doesn't like/know him cause he left the country as an unknown kid from a Serie B side (though he was elected 'rookie of the year' in the competition and helped Figueirense return to Serie A). Media here is quite ignorant, mostly don't usually follow European football outside of UCL so it comes as no surprise that a player with his background gets overlooked by those morons. Guys from channels that follow EPL (ESPN and Fox) all agree that he's amazing and some even argue that he should start over Jesus. If Firmino was a product of Santos/Sao Paulo/Flamengo academy he would be overrated as hell by the media.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Tite apparently talked about using Marcelo as a midfielder. Can't wait to see that.

I'm still waiting for Uruguay to call up Lucas Torreira. After studying their roster in depth I think they could make a huge run with the right selections. Obviously they do have a limited group to choose from, but it's stacked.

Last edited:
Reactions: cgf

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Tite apparently talked about using Marcelo as a midfielder. Can't wait to see that.

I'm still waiting for Uruguay to call up Lucas Torreira. After studying their roster in depth I think they could make a huge run with the right selections. Obviously they do have a limited group to choose from, but it's stacked.

They've been godawful for awhile now... so doubtful.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Don't worry, Tite is scouting Jadson :laugh:

It probably gonna be 2 GKs (Ederson and Cassio/Vanderlei/Grohe), a CB (Jemerson/Rodrigo Caio/Geromel), Douglas Costa, Arthur, a backup RB (Danilo/Fagner/Edilson), backup LB (Filipe Luis or Alex Sandro), and a wildcard (Richarlison, Malcom, Neres, Allan, Jadson?).
Jemerson has really been bad this season. Huge let down after last season where he was fantastic.
His struggles are IMO one of the main reasons why Monaco has had ups and downs.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Jemerson has really been bad this season. Huge let down after last season where he was fantastic.
His struggles are IMO one of the main reasons why Monaco has had ups and downs.

I haven't been watching a ton of Monaco this season but I've read a lot of criticism about his play as well. Anyway, when Tite makes his mind about something he usually doesn't change it no matter what, see Renato Augusto. I think it's Jemerson to lose with Geromel being the most popular choice and R. Caio the most technically capable player and versatile (can play as CB, DM and some RB) option.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo

Torreira, Bentancur, Valverde, De La Cruz, Nandez. Their midfielder's future looks amazing, but most of them aren't ready right now. Cavani and Suarez gonna have to carry them offensively and their defense isn't as good as it used to be.

Reactions: cgf

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I haven't been watching a ton of Monaco this season but I've read a lot of criticism about his play as well. Anyway, when Tite makes his mind about something he usually doesn't change it no matter what, see Renato Augusto. I think it's Jemerson to lose with Geromel being the most popular choice and R. Caio the most technically capable player and versatile (can play as CB, DM and some RB) option.
Yes, I should add replacing Mendy by Jorge has also sank the Monaco defense repeatedly. So Jermerson hasn't been the only one to blame. In fact, losing the whole left side of the defense since Bakayoko's gone as well (and he was covering Mendy's offensive plays very well).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Firmino
Casemiro - Fernandinho
Alisson

Que? That team might do better than 1-7; but that midfield would get pulled apart at the seems by the Germans, Spaniards or Frogs.
Yes I'm sure that's the reason and not the Fernandinho-Casemiro midfield.

Actually the reason is because the soccer gods are punishing them for continuing to not nominate the best Brazilian of his generation, simply because he left for switzerland as a teenager and so has no hype back home, and thus no cache with the marketing company that selects the Brazilian roster.

Reactions: Deficient Mode

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Media doesn't like/know him cause he left the country as an unknown kid from a Serie B side (though he was elected 'rookie of the year' in the competition and helped Figueirense return to Serie A). Media here is quite ignorant, mostly don't usually follow European football outside of UCL so it comes as no surprise that a player with his background gets overlooked by those morons. Guys from channels that follow EPL (ESPN and Fox) all agree that he's amazing and some even argue that he should start over Jesus. If Firmino was a product of Santos/Sao Paulo/Flamengo academy he would be overrated as hell by the media.

Same reasons why you ingrates continue to insufficiently worship Raffael *shakes fist menacingly in the general direction of the Brazilian press*

Reactions: Deficient Mode

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Same reasons why you ingrates continue to insufficiently worship Raffael *shakes fist menacingly in the general direction of the Brazilian press*

Yup. Raffael has never been talked about here. First time I saw him in a soccer show was last year, and he said that he would like to play for Sao Paulo FC before retiring :D. Fox usually talks about him cause they have Bundesliga's rights. Naldo is another player that media here know nothing about. I know he's old, but I think he would be a solid player for this WC, he's a monster on the air.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yup. Raffael has never been talked about here. First time I saw him in a soccer show was last year, and he said that he would like to play for Sao Paulo FC before retiring :D. Fox usually talks about him cause they have Bundesliga's rights. Naldo is another player that media here know nothing about. I know he's old, but I think he would be a solid player for this WC, he's a monster on the air.

I have always been incredibly frustrated by Naldo...ever since he and Mertesacker formed the most awkwardly lanky & clumsy successful CB partnership I have ever seen...so am probably not the best person to turn to in hopes of hearing some re-affirming words about his play :laugh:

Though he has been effective in Schalke's deep sitting back three, with the highly mobile Kehrer & Nastasic flanking the old giant.

And that really does annoy me about Raffael. I started following Gladbach closely when Favre took over to save them from relegation and watched Reus go from unwanted by BVB's academy to the best player in germany. But when Raffael arrived a little over a year later to replace Reus he quickly became the best gladbach player of this generation and has been a pivotal part of one of the most attractive & creative teams in europe during his tenure. A team who drop plenty of points that they shouldn't; but who have regularly gone toe to toe with giants and gotten more out of those meetings than anyone had any right to expect; while carrying the play & not just smash-n-grabbing their way against top teams. It wasn't just their success against Bayern, but in they were straight up outplaying Barca until Raffael got hurt, both matches with Juve from the year before left the german & italian press both commenting on the impressive play of the german team from the small town in Koln's shadow; and they outplayed Citeh for 60-70 minutes before running out of gas in the final 20-30...twice. None of that would be possible without Raffael pulling the strings when he'd drop back, and without Raffa making them utterly lethal in the final third. I thought the chemistry he had with Kruse could not be reproduced, but he developed it with a lifelong midfielder (Stindl) within a month.

They have been a team that have been able to laugh in the face of advanced stats & expected goal #s for most of the decade because of how ruthlessly efficient they are with their chances when Raffael plays. And when he's out their results rapidly get back in line with what their advanced stats predict.

I just wish we had been allowed to offer him german citizenship, because with Raffael instead of EM-Muller leading the line for us two summers ago we'd have won our second straight title.

Last edited:

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
I have always been incredibly frustrated by Naldo...ever since he and Mertesacker formed the most awkwardly lanky & clumsy successful CB partnership I have ever seen...so am probably not the best person to turn to in hopes of hearing some re-affirming words about his play :laugh:

Though he has been effective in Schalke's deep sitting back three, with the highly mobile Kehrer & Nastasic flanking the old giant.

Bundesliga website just had a hype-post about why he deserved a spot some days ago. I think he would be alright as the #4 CB, and having a guy of his size could be a nice weapon for some late game situations, especially on a team that isn't very tall.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Bundesliga website just had a hype-post about why he deserved a spot some days ago. I think he would be alright as the #4 CB, and having a guy of his size could be a nice weapon for some late game situations, especially on a team that isn't very tall.

He was also really loved by everyone during his time with Werder and has fit in with this young Schalke very quickly; so I'd suspect he'd probably also help with moral if he's just there as a backup/emergency plan-B striker. There are worse players you could waste a 4th CB spot on than a well liked Giant...like by giving it to Mustafi, Howedes or Ginter...

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
He was also really loved by everyone during his time with Werder and has fit in with this young Schalke very quickly; so I'd suspect he'd probably also help with moral if he's just there as a backup/emergency plan-B striker. There are worse players you could waste a 4th CB spot on than a well liked Giant...like by giving it to Mustafi, Howedes or Ginter...

Mustafi is inconsistent, but he can be dominant in some matches. I didn't like when Arsenal paid 30m for him, but he's grown on me since then.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Mustafi is inconsistent, but he can be dominant in some matches. I didn't like when Arsenal paid 30m for him, but he's grown on me since then.

Nah, Mustafi has yet to meet a pass he couldn't miss-hit. He can be a help against the ball, when on form, but he's a major liability to our possession game.

Reactions: John Pedro

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011

We should probably cool it on the praise for him. Bundesliga types were hyping up Dante as a CB option for Brazil in 2014 and we all saw how that turned out. :D He has been very good this year though.

What is Fabinho's status with Brazil? He hasn't made an appearance since 2016. I know they did very well in qualifying and there was no reason to mess with a good thing, but he should have been more in the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad