World Cup: National Team threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The same Joe Gomez that wears number 12 for Liverpool?

Hard to believe he has been a standout at anything considering how awful he is.
MOTM on first England start vs Brazil’s A team is pretty awful I guess. Also he is 20 years old. Guess he will never get better. All downhill from here.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
MOTM on first England start vs Brazil’s A team is pretty awful I guess. Also he is 20 years old. Guess he will never get better. All downhill from here.

If you have to make up fake quotes to make your point it is probably a weak point.

From the games I have seen Gomez has been terrible. I am far from the only person who has mentioned. The way he plays opposition players onside is a thing of beauty.

Also, MOTM is a pretty abitrary award that often goes to people who don't deserve it at all.

Reactions: YNWA14

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
You have some weird vendetta against Liverpool.

And yes the same joe Gomez you are talking about it.

As I have mentioned before there is no weird vendentta about them. I find the club and its fans to be unbeleivably obnoxious. A bad mix of delusion and homers who still think this is the 70's/80's and Liverpool is a big time club.

Also commenting on Joe Gomez sucking this year is far from evidence that I have any sort of vendetta he has been terrible and I would welcome him starting any game that my team is facing his team in or even allowing him to be loaned out for free for every Tottenham opponent for the rest of the season.

Reactions: YNWA14

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If you have to make up fake quotes to make your point it is probably a weak point.

From the games I have seen Gomez has been terrible. I am far from the only person who has mentioned. The way he plays opposition players onside is a thing of beauty.

Also, MOTM is a pretty abitrary award that often goes to people who don't deserve it at all.
Gomez was pretty great against Arsenal. I know you saw that one. Was voted MOTM against United as well. Arbitrary or not he is doing something right. The ratings and statistics seem to be in his favor as well. And he isn’t even a right back! He is being forced to play there because Clyne is out until infinity. So yeah. Gomez is doing pretty damn good for an out of position 20 year old.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
This guy knows his stuff. I'll be waiting with bated breath for the next big nugget. I hope we sell Gomez now he clearly is trash and has no future as a footballer.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
This guy knows his stuff. I'll be waiting with bated breath for the next big nugget. I hope we sell Gomez now he clearly is trash and has no future as a footballer.

Yep definitely. The only defender that young playing regularly at any of the top six. Coming back from an ACL tear and holds Neymar to a clean sheet. BBC creaming themselves over him.

England 0-0 Brazil

Southgate made five changes to the team that started the 0-0 draw with Germany on Friday, giving Liverpool defender Joe Gomez a full debut and introducing Dominic Solanke as a substitute for his first cap.

It gave Gomez the opportunity to demonstrate his quality with an outstanding display as part of England's three-man central defence, while goalkeeper Joe Hart made crucial second-half saves from Philippe Coutinho and Paulinho.

The 20-year-old started life as a central defender at Charlton Athletic and even though he has been used on the right side of defence by Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp he slipped back into his old routine with real aplomb, showing his awareness with a series of crucial interceptions.

Southgate is still examining all options in England's central defensive area and Gomez staked an impressive claim here.

Clearly trash.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Apparently, Lucas Hernandez has chosen Spain, even though he's played through all french youth teams. To be fair, I'm not mad at him because at least he learnt his football in Spain.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Some very early 2020 Euro news...

The host cities were divided into six pairings, established on the basis of sporting strength (assuming all host teams qualify), geographical considerations, and security/political constraints.

Each qualified host country will play a minimum of two matches at home. The group venue pairings is as follow

Supposedly if all the host nations qualify the groups will look like this

G1 - Italy, Azerbaijan, 3rd team, 4th team
G2 - Russia, Denmark, 3rd team, 4th team
G3 - Holland, Romania, 3rd team, 4th team
G4 - England, Scotland, 3rd team, 4th team
G5 - Spain, Rep Ireland, 3rd team, 4th team
G6 - Germany, Hungary, 3rd team, 4th team

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Paolo Guerrero's drug ban has been reduced to 6 months, meaning he will be eligible to play at the World Cup. However he will be going into the World Cup with only one month of game time (he plays in Brazil which at least runs a summer schedule so he will get a handful of leagues games at least)

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
England have had a very good year in my book. I'm not going to make any future predictions of some sort. I just want to acknowledge how they have progressed.

Pretty much all youth teams have been very succesful. The U17's were runners up in the UEFA championship and became world champions, the U19's winning the UEFA championship, the U20's winning the Toulon tournament and the WC, and the U21's reaching the UEFA championship semifinal, narrowly getting beaten by the Germans who would win the tournament.

As for the first squad, their international performances may not have been too impressive, but you have a lot of players that have been showing good progression at their clubs. Harry Kane has broken out as probably the best striker of the past year. Sterling and Stones are instrumental to Guardiola's seeming unstoppable City. AOC showing some rather impressive progress at Liverpool (sorry for doubting you lad). Same goes for Lingard. They've got Winks, Wilshere, Hughes, Drinkwater and Loftus-Cheek who are all having good seasons and provide something that England's central midfield need. They should also give Nick Pope a call considering how great he has been for Burnley. Other players also showing good progress who could fill a role in the squad are Shaw, Delph, Pickford, Maguire, Gomez and Mee.

Gareth has a lot of options to choose from next summer. Do I trust him to make the right choices? Considering that he starts Henderson as often as possible, not really.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Nah, the senior squad still isn't very good. Kane wasn't the best striker of the year IMO, Sterling still has glaring holes in his game, Stones has 4 months and is suddenly forgiven of his amateurish year, AOC is hardly international quality, and the rest are question marks.

England's youth teams were incredible last summer and I said so many times.
That doesn't make England's squad competitive for now however. They're still far from it, although they have some good players and could surprise obviously.
I don't see him as potential WC winners. Yet at least.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I don't think that they are WC challengers either. I'm unsure if they ever will be unless English youths leave for academies abroad. But English players have still shown good progress.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
England's primary problem is that they lack the intelligent, passing midfielder(s) who can structure play to allow guys like Kane and Alli to truly shine. If they can get one or two of such midfielders, they'd absolutely be good enough to win a major tournament. It's easy to look at the past and say, ah that'll never happen, but things have changed a lot over the last years. England isn't a bubble anymore, they're exposed to the concepts and ideas of modern football on a regular basis. It'll yield results over time.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Nah, the senior squad still isn't very good. Kane wasn't the best striker of the year IMO, Sterling still has glaring holes in his game, Stones has 4 months and is suddenly forgiven of his amateurish year, AOC is hardly international quality, and the rest are question marks.

England's youth teams were incredible last summer and I said so many times.
That doesn't make England's squad competitive for now however. They're still far from it, although they have some good players and could surprise obviously.
I don't see him as potential WC winners. Yet at least.
My guess is you don't watch these English players much based on this commentary.

AOC of Liverpool is certainly international quality. I know you love Cavani but Kane certainly has the performances and numbers. Especially considering games played and who he's scored against. Sterling has been an absolute monster this season.

Alli is a piece of **** but if Lallana rounds back into form England could certainly pose a threat this WC. Winks/Ox/Lallana in midfield behind Sterling/Kane/Rashford could be deadly.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
England's primary problem is that they lack the intelligent, passing midfielder(s) who can structure play to allow guys like Kane and Alli to truly shine. If they can get one or two of such midfielders, they'd absolutely be good enough to win a major tournament. It's easy to look at the past and say, ah that'll never happen, but things have changed a lot over the last years. England isn't a bubble anymore, they're exposed to the concepts and ideas of modern football on a regular basis. It'll yield results over time.

Hoping that Winks gets the opportunity to fill that role. Only one appearance against Lithuania so far but he was the best player on the field.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Winks/Ox/Lallana isn't striking fear in the favorites' hearts.

Which is ultimately where this discussion falls apart. Even if Winks became all that he can be, they'd still need another 2 more of him to have more than a puncher's chance of parking the bus against the top teams.

caslava

Dec 1, 2017
Slovakia
I really hope England does well this summer so it makes our games against them look like a success. Would be fun to see Kane really tear up the tournament. I still can’t believe we effd up so bad and couldn’t qualify. But overall I’m not surprised. Slovak soccer is much like our hockey, the attitude is who cares if we lose. This World Cup was our last shot with best generation (durica, skrtel, hamsik, pekarik, kucka). Next qualification will be ugly for us.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I really hope England does well this summer so it makes our games against them look like a success. Would be fun to see Kane really tear up the tournament. I still can’t believe we effd up so bad and couldn’t qualify. But overall I’m not surprised. Slovak soccer is much like our hockey, the attitude is who cares if we lose. This World Cup was our last shot with best generation (durica, skrtel, hamsik, pekarik, kucka). Next qualification will be ugly for us.

You have a lot of young talent coming through. Benes, Lobotka, Herc, Hromada & maybe Ivan/Kacer/Baumgartner in the midfield; with Skriniar & maybe Valjent/Vavro to build the backline around; is a nice start. If Tupta or Mraz comes through up front & a couple of Stefanec / Duda / Bero / Spalek make it on the wings/in the attacking midfield, that generation has a good foundation to get back to the World Cup. With the talent base to play much better football than you have in the past.

You guys and the czechs are two teams I expect to start swinging up in the coming couple cycles.

Reactions: caslava

caslava

Dec 1, 2017
Slovakia
You have a lot of young talent coming through. Benes, Lobotka, Herc, Hromada & maybe Ivan/Kacer/Baumgartner in the midfield; with Skriniar & maybe Valjent/Vavro to build the backline around; is a nice start. If Tupta or Mraz comes through up front & a couple of Stefanec / Duda / Bero / Spalek make it on the wings/in the attacking midfield, that generation has a good foundation to get back to the World Cup. With the talent base to play much better football than you have in the past.

You guys and the czechs are two teams I expect to start swinging up in the coming couple cycles.
Thanks for kind words haha! Lobotka and Skriniar do look promising and even benes who has been injured recently. Last u21 tournament was encouraging and the midfield looks to be a place of strength. This u21 qualifying has been embarrassing and shows issues of off years and on years with talent ( much like wjc for hockey). While teams even with similar population sizes produce year after year. IMO pieces up front look weak, zrelak has been disappointment and he seems to be injured every 2nd week. Major problem is coaching as well which seems to be suspect especially in games against England, Scotland and Slovenia last qualifying. I really think lobotka can become top midfield talent, and skriniar on Defense. Rusnak was big time player in MLS yet looked like league 3 Slovak player in qualifying. GK position is also always a big question mark (exact opposite of hockey). Jacubech is in France for Lille but never plays. It’s hard to predict how players will develop even if they play at big club at young age.

Last edited:

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Brazilian manager Tite named 15 players who are guaranteed World Cup spots (barring injuries of course).

Goalkeepers: Alisson (Roma)
Defenders: Dani Alves (PSG), Marquinhos (PSG), Thiago Silva (PSG), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Miranda (Inter Milan)
Midfielders: Fernandinho (Manchester City), Paulinho (Barcelona), Casemiro (Real Madrid), Renato Augusto (Beijing Guoan)
Forwards: Neymar (PSG), Gabriel Jesus (Manchester City), Willian (Chelsea), Roberto Firmino (Liverpool), Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)

So there are only 8 roster spots open of which two will be goalkeepers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad