Value of: Nathan Mackinnon (THN says he's no longer untouchable)

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I'm not sure either side does this, but one for one, Nylander for MacKinnon...

MacKinnon and Marner have looked great together.
Nylander has been dominating World's as well and can play with Landeskog.

Matthews, MacK, Kadri, Boyle down the middle... hella sweet....

Good gawd you are way too high on Nylander if you think he'll return a 1-1 for MacKinnon right now...

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014

Lol so whats the main piece going to colorado for them to even think about this because Nylander is just an add on to a trade for mackinnon.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Mackinnon dmoninated with the following players:

Drouin - Halifax Moosehead (MVP Memorial Cup)
Geaudreau/RNH - WCH
Marner - World Cup

There might be a pattern here. Mackinnon is a special player and with the right wingers and supporting D, he can be among the best players in hockey.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Good gawd you are way too high on Nylander if you think he'll return a 1-1 for MacKinnon right now...

Nylander has a career PPG higher then Mack at 20... I'm not trading Nylander for Mackinnon.

Mack hasn't hit 60 points since 2013. Nylander just hit 60 + points as a rookie.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Ya no... That's ****ing awful for Colorado.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Nylander has a higher PPG average at 20... I'm not trading Nylander for Mackinnon.

There is no chance Avs will even consider Mackinnon for Nylander alone...unless the Leafs provide:

Nylander
Reilly
Kappanen/1st round pick

He is 21 years old and has 6 years remaining with a reasonable contract.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
There is no chance Avs will even consider Mackinnon for Nylander alone...unless the Leafs provide:

Nylander
Reilly
Kappanen/1st round pick

I'm not stating Colorado should made that deal, I'm just saying value wise, they are pretty even, with the edge to Nylander.

Most Leaf fans would oppose this as well. I understand why Colorado would as well, it's just a deal neither team would make at this point.

Savvy

Sep 30, 2006
Mississauga

Nylander
Reilly
Kappanen/1st round pick

Yep, Nylander that aging veteran on that steep contract would be hard to swallow.

Such awful place to discuss hockey sometimes.

Last edited:

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Nylander has a career PPG higher then Mack at 20... I'm not trading Nylander for Mackinnon.

Mack hasn't hit 60 points since 2013. Nylander just hit 60 + points as a rookie.

Your right...lets compare a rookies "career" ppg vs a player that just finished his 4th year....what makes u think Nylander wont hit eclipse 60 points again like NMac? After all, NMac scored 63pts as a rookie as well...

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Nylander
Reilly
Kappanen/1st round pick

Nylander is on a ELC....that's a reasonable contract too.

Not a chance the AVS would get this.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal

Nylander
Reilly
Kappanen/1st round pick

are you realy a Maple leafs fan?!?

well i've seen everything now... usaly Nylander is worth more than Mcdavid.

To be fair i think you are way way off, has much has Mackinnon is a nice prospect he's worth mile away from a heavy package like that... He hold a bit more value than Nylander cause he's a little more proven but not by a large margain... Mackinnon has done nothing to be worth this much

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

MacKinnon had a 60+ season as an 18 year old fresh out of the draft. He was then PPG+ in the first round of the playoffs. Nylander did it as a 20 year old two years removed from his draft year. They aren't remotely the same thing. If Nylander's rookie year at 20 is such a high watermark, why does it put him above MacKinnon who had a superior rookie year at 18 in the tougher Western Conference?

Savvy

Sep 30, 2006
Mississauga
MacKinnon had a 60+ season as an 18 year old fresh out of the draft. He was then PPG+ in the first round of the playoffs. Nylander did it as a 20 year old two years removed from his draft year. They aren't remotely the same thing. If Nylander's rookie year at 20 is such a high watermark, why does it put him above MacKinnon who had a superior rookie year at 18 in the tougher Western Conference?

Mac hasn't posted good numbers for his level of expectation in a weak western conference in a few years...

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland

We'll have to see Nylander repeat it first, youd be a much better team with Mack in your line up. So easy no

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015

I can't tell you how awful this is.

MacKinnon had a better point total in his Draft +1 year than Nylander did in his Draft +3.

Nylander was sheltered in the AHL and got a warm up session in his Draft +2 year while MacKinnon got to burn in the tire-fire that is the Avalanche during his post-rookie career.

Nylander gets to play for Babcock and behind Matthews. MacKinnon gets to play for Bednar and has no one else to take defensive pressure off him.

Nylander is playing on a Playoff team. MacKinnon gets to play on a team that didn't even crack 50 points this year and still only had 8 less points.

So on and so forth.

mintmint

May 6, 2017
Mackinnon dmoninated with the following players:

Drouin - Halifax Moosehead (MVP Memorial Cup)
Geaudreau/RNH - WCH
Marner - World Cup

There might be a pattern here. Mackinnon is a special player and with the right wingers and supporting D, he can be among the best players in hockey.

I dont think you are that special if you need all these things to be a great player.

Great players are great players.

That's the bottom line.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I dont think you are that special if you need all these things to be a great player.

Great players are great players.

That's the bottom line.

MacKinnon isn't the standard playmaking center that can carry a line on his back and elevate the play of both of this wingers. I wouldn't call Stastny special but back in the day he turned players like Wolski, Galiardi, Porter, Stewart and more into legitimate top 6 wingers. MacKinnon pushes the play and expects his linemates to keep pace, there's a reason speedy players or playmakers mesh with him so well. Avs haven't done a good job on pairing MacKinnon up with complementary players since Stastny left until Rantanen just now. So is he a Tavares that will put up 100 points with Moulson and Parenteau? Not likely, but I don't see anything stopping him from being like Seguin and tearing it up alongside Benn.

That being said, I'd personally move him in the right deal where the Avs took in a huge haul of futures with one standout blue chipper. I don't see a future where the Avs are a competitive team and MacKinnon is leading them to the promise land.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad