Value of: Nathan Mackinnon (THN says he's no longer untouchable)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Got any examples of good scorers with bad shooting percentages?

Taylor Hall
Marian Hossa
Jakub Voracek
Patrick Sharp
Nathan MacKinnon
Claude Giroux
Henrik Zetterberg

That's what mostly happens when you play point on the power-play (biggest factor to lower you SH%), and are mainly puck mover at even strength.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
Taylor Hall
Marian Hossa
Jakub Voracek
Patrick Sharp
Nathan MacKinnon
Claude Giroux
Henrik Zetterberg

That's what mostly happens when you play point on the power-play (biggest factor to lower you SH%), and are mainly puck mover at even strength.

so mack and hall are the youngest guy on a list of old farts. I wouldn't call mack a good scorer.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Taylor Hall
Marian Hossa
Jakub Voracek
Patrick Sharp
Nathan MacKinnon
Claude Giroux
Henrik Zetterberg

Voracek is not an example of a good scorer with bad S%. Trust this Flyers fan.

If Voracek had any shot at all, he could add 10+ points onto his season totals. On the PP, teams over pressure Giroux and Ghost to get the puck into Jakes hands, knowing that he can't score from the outside. His only move is to move in, cut to the slot a bit and then fire his weak wrister.

Giroux was more dangerous on the PP as far as shots go between the 2, but this year, coming off of hip surgery, could not take a slap shot. On passes where we would usually take one timers, he instead would cradle the puck for a wrist shot. His accuracy was also much worse this year assuming due to the hip issue.

Just wanted to give info on the 2 Flyers guys.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why would the Avs trade Mackinnon? He's very dynamic and has no weakness to his game. Avs are better to surround him with better talent through the draft than trade him. He's the type of player every team is looking for. Teams likely line-up if he is available but I don't think the Avs are going to get what they want for him. And even if they acquire draft picks, they run the risk of not finding a talent that is anything near MacKinnon

If he is traded, it's likely for someone like Eichel. Why would the Sabres do this? They won't and no other team would as well. Mackinnon is as close to untouchable as they come.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Why would the Avs trade Mackinnon? He's very dynamic and has no weakness to his game. Avs are better to surround him with better talent through the draft than trade him. He's the type of player every team is looking for. Teams likely line-up if he is available but I don't think the Avs are going to get what they want for him. And even if they acquire draft picks, they run the risk of not finding a talent that is anything near MacKinnon

If he is traded, it's likely for someone like Eichel. Why would the Sabres do this? They won't and no other team would as well. Mackinnon is as close to untouchable as they come.

They won't. I believe Sakic has said that since this rumor was started. He definitely said it before. But here we are.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
They won't. I believe Sakic has said that since this rumor was started. He definitely said it before. But here we are.

Exactly. Sakic has publicly said MacKinnon is untouchable, not sure why this thread is still active.

Nathan is 21 and people are acting like he won't get any better.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Ryan Murray + Vitalii Abramov + Sonny Milano + Matt Calvert (cap) + pair of 1st rounders ('17 and '18) for MacKinnon
One-for-one is desirable.
Two-for-one is doable.
Three-for-one is a reach.
Four-for-one is generally out of the question.
Five-for-one is well over the top.

This is SIX-for-one. This is insanity.

They want a very high quality young LHD if MacKinnon gets moved at all. That's their prerogative and I agree with that call on their part. We only have one of those and he's not moving.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
One-for-one is desirable.
Two-for-one is doable.
Three-for-one is a reach.
Four-for-one is generally out of the question.
Five-for-one is well over the top.

This is SIX-for-one. This is insanity.

It may be crazy, but I think it's the only way to get Colorado to listen without including one of Jones/Werenski - which is obviously a no go

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008

For all the guys who watched one Avs game this year and only know how to go to nhl.com and to the stats tab. The kid still has holy crap potential in him. Just have to give him some talent to work with.

Third video really shows off the mediocre shot.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I can find you videos of Matt Carle roofing pucks too.

Edit: Lol he's been in the league for what, three, four years now and they still need to include highlights from Halifax in a video? Hahahahahhaa

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Would you accept a package of similar value for Werenski or Jones?

No, different circumstances. If Columbus was rebuilding and needed to change the makeup of the team it would have to be considered, but that is not where we're at in the road. However, Colorado is somewhere around there.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008

Edit: Lol he's been in the league for what, three, four years now and they still need to include highlights from Halifax in a video? Hahahahahhaa

I'm limited to the fanboys who have time to sit at home and edit videos. If he was on the Leafs/Habs, I'd have 10 min videos of every goal he has ever scored.

My point to your "mediocre shot" comment is that you worded it wrong. If you said he has poor shot selection, but snipe potential, then I would have been on board.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

A.Who cares where highlights come from? He existed before he put on an Avs jersey. It isn't like there aren't plenty of highlights of him making NHL defenders look foolish. It couldn't be less important that some YouTube videographer pulled a couple clips from juniors.

B. He has a terrible shooting percentage for the exact opposite reason Alex Tanguays was always in the stratosphere: He. Shoots. From. Everywhere. He could stand to shoot a little, maybe even a lot, less. But when your team is as bad as the Avs we're this year, just getting pucks on net is moving in the right direction.

No, different circumstances. If Columbus was rebuilding and needed to change the makeup of the team it would have to be considered, but that is not where we're at in the road. However, Colorado is somewhere around there.

If you were rebuilding, young high-end players like Werenski and Jones would be among the last guys you'd move. It's the same for us.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
I love how people think they're Avs experts after watching them play 1 game maybe 2 against their team and are suddenly experts on the team. How the **** do you expect him to play dragging around Rene Bourque? Check out those clips that person showed. Kid already has the wow factor and still hasn't even hit his prime.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
How do you expect Crosby to produce when he's dragging around Chris Kunitz?

Good players are good players no matter who they play with.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
How do you expect Crosby to produce when he's dragging around Chris Kunitz?

Good players are good players no matter who they play with.

I only breezed through the thread, but this seems like a massive goalpost shift. Going from 'the kid has a terrible shot' to 'the kid isnt crosby' isnt even remotely similar. I dont think anyone expects him to drag people like Crosby - and if they do, shame on them - but that doesnt mean he cant be a great player.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

The Avs are in a position where they need to focus on acquiring young guys with high end talent, so you think they should trade their 21 year old best player? :shakehead

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I only breezed through the thread, but this seems like a massive goalpost shift. Going from 'the kid has a terrible shot' to 'the kid isnt crosby' isnt even remotely similar. I dont think anyone expects him to drag people like Crosby - and if they do, shame on them - but that doesnt mean he cant be a great player.

Not moving the goalposts at all. He has a mediocre shot and blaming that on Rene Bourque is stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad