TSN: Muzzin/Martinez could be available for an upgrade to King's top 9

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
JVR + 1st for Muzzin just make it happen already Toronto

Why? Kings fans know he is not a top pairing D. He might have been at one point, but even they said he was poor last year and looking about the same this season as well.

Leafs don't need anyone unless it's an upgrade on the top pair. Maybe he replaces Hainsey, but this is a trade to look at maybe at the TDL if the team feels it needs an upgrade with a bigger sample size to evaluate the team.

Leafs defense is under rated on here.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Why does JVR make sense for LA? It makes sense for Leafs maybe, if you want Muzzin or Martinez, pony up stuff you dont wanna trade. Why does LA need another almost 30 year old guy with a caphit over 6 mil? They have enough of those already, and DD should have his 3 mil raise to in 2 years......

So we should offer up stuff we don't want to trade for stuff you do want to trade?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Why? Kings fans know he is not a top pairing D. He might have been at one point, but even they said he was poor last year and looking about the same this season as well.

Leafs don't need anyone unless it's an upgrade on the top pair. Maybe he replaces Hainsey, but this is a trade to look at maybe at the TDL if the team feels it needs an upgrade with a bigger sample size to evaluate the team.

It is underrated and has definitely improved coming into this season, but imo they do need an upgrade to solidify their status as a contender. I know Muzzin has had a rough couple years, but he's still a #2 and at worst the 2nd or 3rd best D on Toronto, and Leafs can afford to move JVR

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
It is underrated and has definitely improved coming into this season, but imo they do need an upgrade to solidify their status as a contender. I know Muzzin has had a rough couple years, but he's still a #2 and at worst the 2nd or 3rd best D on Toronto, and Leafs can afford to move JVR

Except Kings fans have made it clear JVR is of no interest. I am not interested in destroying the offensive depth of the team to acquire a guy with his best days likely behind him.

Leafs have a small weakness on D, but their offense can win a series by themselves. They need to keep their strengths.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Except Kings fans have made it clear JVR is of no interest. I am not interested in destroying the offensive depth of the team to acquire a guy with his best days likely behind him.

Leafs have a small weakness on D, but their offense can win a series by themselves. They need to keep their strengths.

I don't agree with your last sentence, the Leafs aren't going to have this kind of forward depth to work with again, someone should be dealt. And I don't think swapping JVR for Leivo in the lineup "destroys" the offensive depth...

And I personally believe the weakness on D is bigger than you think, and could easily be exposed if they make it deep into the playoffs. We'll see, but I think there's a possibility this season is their best shot at the cup, and they should load up a little bit.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013

Pretty sure most Kings fans believe Jake Muzzin is a solid #2 as do I. He had a rough season last year, as did everyone else on the Kings.

His play so far this season suggests he's back to playing how he was in 2014.

Reactions: Satan

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
I don't agree with your last sentence, the Leafs aren't going to have this kind of forward depth to work with again, someone should be dealt. And I don't think swapping JVR for Leivo in the lineup "destroys" the offensive depth...

And I personally believe the weakness on D is bigger than you think, and could easily be exposed if they make it deep into the playoffs. We'll see, but I think there's a possibility this season is their best shot at the cup, and they should load up a little bit.

1. Again, we would not be losing JVR as they have said many times he does not work. It would take a bigger package of top 9 forwards. If he is in fact a legit D, then Brown is not enough, we are looking at something like Marner...

2. As you said, we will never have this kind of depth again. That is why the team should keep it, and make a run. Defense is fine, and there is tons of depth there. No team ever wins the cup perfectly balanced. Usually winning teams have at least one spot they stand out above the rest. Making the offense closer to average in exchange for slightly better defense makes the roster and team weaker.

3. They did load up for the cup. They improved the roster in every way they could while keeping the depth. Fixed the 4th line, added Marleau, and Hainsey has brought stability to Rielly's game.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
1. Again, we would not be losing JVR as they have said many times he does not work. It would take a bigger package of top 9 forwards. If he is in fact a legit D, then Brown is not enough, we are looking at something like Marner...

2. As you said, we will never have this kind of depth again. That is why the team should keep it, and make a run. Defense is fine, and there is tons of depth there. No team ever wins the cup perfectly balanced. Usually winning teams have at least one spot they stand out above the rest. Making the offense closer to average in exchange for slightly better defense makes the roster and team weaker.

3. They did load up for the cup. They improved the roster in every way they could while keeping the depth. Fixed the 4th line, added Marleau, and Hainsey has brought stability to Rielly's game.

1. Literally no Kings fan in this thread has mentioned anywhere near Marner and in fact some seem open to a Bozak+ or JVR+ package

2. What is the point of having legit top 9 forwards not playing when you can make a clear upgrade on your team weakness? Swapping JVR and Rosen/Borgman for Leivo and Muzzin doesn't make the team weaker, that's absolutely ridiculous.

3. There's still more they can do.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT

Which Kings fans say that or have said that? Also please go and list me 60 better defenders than Muzzin.... I'll wait haha

Also he was our best player in the pre-season and has looked back to old form in the regular season. Clearly you've never watched a Kings game in your life, but where or who is giving you your information about them? If basing everything off last year then I guess Kopitar will never score even 15 goals again too? Lol

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Which Kings fans say that or have said that? Also please go and list me 60 better defenders than Muzzin.... I'll wait haha

Also he was our best player in the pre-season and has looked back to old form in the regular season. Clearly you've never watched a Kings game in your life, but where or who is giving you your information about them? If basing everything off last year then I guess Kopitar will never score even 15 goals again too? Lol

Sadly don't have the time to run and search through GDT's, but there is one post on the 2nd page from a Kings fan.

Two young players on elc have a lot of value He has not had the best season last year and not off to a great start so far this year. Also i don't see the kings making the trade unless all kinda things happen between now and then. The kings have never made a serious trade till after American Thanks giving I doubt we do one this early.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
1. Literally no Kings fan in this thread has mentioned anywhere near Marner and in fact some seem open to a Bozak+ or JVR+ package

2. What is the point of having legit top 9 forwards not playing when you can make a clear upgrade on your team weakness? Swapping JVR and Rosen/Borgman for Leivo and Muzzin doesn't make the team weaker, that's absolutely ridiculous.

3. There's still more they can do.
If JVR+2nd works....sign me up.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Washington is looking for a defender. Wonder if they could match up

I doubt the kings are looking to make a trade this soon. Even the insiders said they might be looking to trade them if there depth doesn't start scoring soon meaning there still going to be a while figuring out the issue. The kings also have options in there own system to try before looking else where imo Auger was just brought up and will be playing. Gaborik will be back at some point and will most likely start out on that line. I think tsn is a little a head of themselves Also we still need someone to show they can take over the bottom mins and as of now we don't have that imo.

Next to all the people asking for muzzin the normal get for a rental defense man at the deadline is a 1st and prospect. I would think Muzzin as a top pairing defense man ( he may not be playing with drew but he still gets the 2nd most mins on the kings out of the defense man) and having term he would get more like 2 young players with some upside on elc and a pick

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
If JVR+2nd works....sign me up.

Why are we adding for a struggling D?

I hope our management is smart enough not to get ripped off just because Muzzin has won a cup. Previous management was notoriously stupid. They wanted Bolland because he won the cup, Versteeg because he won the cup etc.

We should not be paying for Muzzin's past accomplishments. JvR is more than enough for Muzzin and even then I don't think the Leafs should do anything for the time being.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Sadly don't have the time to run and search through GDT's, but there is one post on the 2nd page from a Kings fan.
I still call him a top pairing defense man and hes better then any one on the leafs. I have higher standards to what i call a good defense man then most leaf fans as i require my defense man to play defense not look at his point totals to determine how good he is .

member 88115

I hope our management is smart enough not to get ripped off just because Muzzin has won a Cup. Previous management was notoriously stupid. They wanted Bolland because he won the cup, Versteeg because he won the cup etc.
Have you watched Muzzin play this year? Probably not

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Have you watched Muzzin play this year? Probably not

He was a train wreck last year. Also, everyone on a good team looks good.

For example, nobody on the Leafs has below a 50% CF right now even though some of them have been terrible their numbers look good. I'd have to check Muzzin's numbers relative to his team but it's hard to draw a conclusion on anything 5-6 games into the season. For the early part of the season, it's best to use numbers from last season.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can

I hope our management is smart enough not to get ripped off just because Muzzin has won a cup. Previous management was notoriously stupid. They wanted Bolland because he won the cup, Versteeg because he won the cup etc.

We should not be paying for Muzzin's past accomplishments. JvR is more than enough for Muzzin and even then I don't think the Leafs should do anything for the time being.

make that 2 cups :D The leafs need to improve there defense If you can't see that i'm not sure what to say. Muzzin would be the leafs best defense man period He would play in all areas and eat over 20 mins a game He would help you pp and pk. He is also sign for a few years cheap. this all holds more value then a rental jvr

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can

For example, nobody on the Leafs has below a 50% CF right now even though some of them have been terrible their numbers look good. I'd have to check Muzzin's numbers relative to his team but it's hard to draw a conclusion on anything 5-6 games into the season. For the early part of the season, it's best to use numbers from last season.

The kings missed the playoffs last year so how is he playing on a good team Good teams make the playoffs

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006

90% of our team was poor last season and we've had a coaching / GM change since then. I don't think last years numbers will be that helpful unless you're trying to lowball people

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
I still call him a top pairing defense man and hes better then any one on the leafs. I have higher standards to what i call a good defense man then most leaf fans as i require my defense man to play defense not look at his point totals to determine how good he is .

Why are you getting defensive? I am agreeing with you, in that the other poster appeared to believe JVR for Muzzin was a deal that was possible. I was saying that it wouldn't work, and they would require a bigger package, which I was not sold on giving up for someone who is no longer at the top of their game.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

For real? Muzzin is still an excellent D, and we can replace JVR with Leivo/Kap...and a solid top4D with term is worth more than a UFA winger....that's why we add.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
90% of our team was poor last season and we've had a coaching / GM change since then. I don't think last years numbers will be that helpful unless you're trying to lowball people

My mistake. I did not see that Muzzin still has term on his contract. I thought he too was a pending UFA like JvR.

JvR+ makes more sense now that I know that lol.

Reactions: Kingspiracy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad