TSN: Muzzin/Martinez could be available for an upgrade to King's top 9

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Kapanen, 2 2nds, Marincin (cap) for Muzzin?

Naturally as the news came out there that Sam Reinhart is potentially available I kind of made that connection as Buffalo needs LHD help.

Case I will make for Kapanen is he's a clutch player. Helped Finland win the WJC and he scored a huge double OT goal last year to help the Leafs win in a 4th line role. He can play both special teams, both wings although better on RW. He would add a ton of speed to Los Angeles. I imagine the counter will be Connor Brown whom I don't think I could bring myself to part with.

Bonus: Kapanen is cheap labour :)

Last edited:

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I'd do Bozak with a plus, probably not jvr though, unless he was for sure not re-signing or it was straight across jvr Muzzin. I'm also higher on jvr and keeping him than other leaf fans on here and think he can be re-signed to a reasonable cap hit (8/36=4.5). Bozak + non roster player excluding Dermott Liljegren & Kapanen + a mid pick (SJ's 2/3rd) for muzzin would work for Toronto, but then you're looking at sliding Nylander full time to C mid season and putting Marner on Matthews wing. Would upgrade to a 1st if TML makes the finals.

There's just no way JVR is equal in value to Muzzin, an impending UFA low end 1st liner doesn't hold the value of a #2 D with term. I also think you're being MAJORLY optimistic thinking JVR might resign for just 250k more than he currently makes.. That's literally 2 million less than he'd get with term on the open market

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Kapanen, 2 2nds, Marincin (cap) for Muzzin?

Naturally as the news came out there that Sam Reinhart is potentially available I kind of made that connection as Buffalo needs LHD help.

Case I will make for Kapanen is he's a clutch player. Helped Finland win the WJC and he scored a huge double OT goal last year to help the Leafs win in a 4th line role. He can play both special teams, both wings although better on RW. He would add a ton of speed to Los Angeles. I imagine the counter will be Connor Brown whom I don't think I could bring myself to part with.
We don't have to make any rush deals at the moment (as impatient as some appear to be). I'd rather keep Kappy and Johnsson moving forward. As for Brown, man I don't want to move that kid. Not a superstar but you just win hockey games with him. We are also forming great chemistry. I'll wait for exactly the right deal for us, not another teams grab bag deal. Keep drafting, develop Dermott/Lily and see. Build up more prospects so we have more options as trade chips. No one thought Seguin,Hall,Jones,Johansson,Larsson would get traded but you never know. It may be 2 more years but when the no brainer deal comes along we will move on it.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
We don't have to make any rush deals at the moment (as impatient as some appear to be). I'd rather keep Kappy and Johnsson moving forward. As for Brown, man I don't want to move that kid. Not a superstar but you just win hockey games with him. We are also forming great chemistry. I'll wait for exactly the right deal for us, not another teams grab bag deal. Keep drafting, develop Dermott/Lily and see. Build up more prospects so we have more options as trade chips. No one thought Seguin,Hall,Jones,Johansson,Larsson would get traded but you never know. It may be 2 more years but when the no brainer deal comes along we will move on it.

I like Muzzin quite a bit. I'm willing to make a deal right now if it makes sense.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I like Muzzin quite a bit. I'm willing to make a deal right now if it makes sense.
I like him as well but I really don't want to give up Brown for him.
There is also no Doughty here. You have to be careful having the same LA expectations.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
make that 2 cups :D The leafs need to improve there defense If you can't see that i'm not sure what to say. Muzzin would be the leafs best defense man period He would play in all areas and eat over 20 mins a game He would help you pp and pk. He is also sign for a few years cheap. this all holds more value then a rental jvr

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
make that 2 cups :D The leafs need to improve there defense If you can't see that i'm not sure what to say. Muzzin would be the leafs best defense man period He would play in all areas and eat over 20 mins a game He would help you pp and pk. He is also sign for a few years cheap. this all holds more value then a rental jvr

Actually Jake has just 1, for the record.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
No, No, No!! Why in the hell would we do that? Yes Kessel can help LA. But do you know who else he can help? The Pittsburgh Penguins. And he'll help them a hell of a lot more than Muzzin or Martinez will.

Poorly thought out. :shakehead
This is a trade form, there were no offers made or accepted, nor would it matter.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Why does JVR make sense for LA? It makes sense for Leafs maybe, if you want Muzzin or Martinez, pony up stuff you dont wanna trade. Why does LA need another almost 30 year old guy with a caphit over 6 mil? They have enough of those already, and DD should have his 3 mil raise to in 2 years......

this guy gets it. ☝️☝️

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
He doesn't play with Doughty. Hasn't for years.

That's true, but he also hasn't been good for years. His defensive stats have been much worse since being separated from Doughty and Doughty's have been much better (and he won the Norris the first year that he was away from Muzzin). Muzzin's recklessness, gaffes and slow foot speed would be exposed on another team and in another system that doesn't cover for its defensemen like LA does, so Trapper's concern is justified, IMO.

Last edited:

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Don’t think either is enough of an upgrade over our other LHDs to warrant damaging the forward depth. Wait for a RHD to become available somewhere.

Edit: this was supposed to be quoting a fellow leaf fan

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
@Kamiccolo has mad some good points about the current Leafs D situation.

From a Leafs perspective -

Reilly - Hainsey

Have been playing very well together . Eating up top minutes and Hainsey has proven to be a better pick up then I think any Leaf fan has expected. Splitting them up makes no sense.

Gardiner - Zaitzev

Again playing well together and eating up minutes. One could argue the Leafs are running a 1a/1b top two pairings. No reason to demote either one here.

Borgman - Carrick

This is where it gets interesting. Borgman has been a nice surprise so far. Providing the Leafs with some extra grit and big hits from the back end, his overall services have been quite admirable for a rookie on the 3rd pairing. That leaves Carrick. Has been just average and prone to mistakes. Doesnt excel in any one area and seems to be the odd man out.

So with all that being said (opinions of course) where would a guy like Muzzin fit in? Who gets bumped down? I think the Leafs remain patient here. If the price of technically upgrading our 3rd pair is JVR, I don't see it happening. If anything the Leafs will look for a cheaper, true 3rd pairing D

To LA fans, this is not under rating Muzzin's TRUE value, just his value/cost to "us"

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Not sure on reasonable or not (your call lol) but I like Ritchie and Janmark and maybe a low pick I dunno

Would be tough to give up two roster players, especially when both play top 6 roles. Janmark I would have tougher time giving up, but I guess that's why the basis would be fair enough.

Drew Shore

Unfortunately he doesn't play for the Stars. Not very sure that I would want to give up DEVIN Shore. Although gotta give to get, but maaaan he has been playing so well, especially this season.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Would be tough to give up two roster players, especially when both play top 6 roles. Janmark I would have tougher time giving up, but I guess that's why the basis would be fair enough.

Unfortunately he doesn't play for the Stars. Not very sure that I would want to give up DEVIN Shore. Although gotta give to get, but maaaan he has been playing so well, especially this season.
I think I corrected myself....a week ago? Two? What do you people want from me?!!!!

Yeah I like Shore’s game quite a bit, always impressed me when the stars are playing the kings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad