Confirmed with Link: Murray steps down, Dorion is our new GM

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
What's the worst case? Bruins suck next year, fire Julien and draft high

Brad Marchad scored 37G in Juliens structured system

Boston has a worse defense then Ottawa... I'd rather get Julien some D if I was Neeley then fire the guy and start over

And what if Julien says he wants out.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
You had your GM in the morning say he could sign any catch he wanted, then you have Melnyvk come on and say that's not true, throw an EK trade scenario in there and say he hasn't talked to his 'friend' Dave Cameron yet because he's to scared to.

The guy just needs to shut up and let the GM run the team. Every time he opens his mouth he contradicts the team or throws someone under the bus.

I blame the media more then Melynk as for the EK issue that really put him on the spot and it was really a unfair question.

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
I blame the media more then Melynk as for the EK issue that really put him on the spot and it was really a unfair question.

If anything that was one of the softer question being asked...should have been an easy answer

The Ottawa media is fairly soft in comparison to Toronto and Montreal markets.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
If anything that was one of the softer question being asked...should have been an easy answer

The Ottawa media is fairly soft in comparison to Toronto and Montreal markets.

It was not the media it was the Toronto media some of the question you could tell there were trying to go out of there way to try and make it very hard to answer.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Rule #1 of sports PR - don't ever put your franchise player in a trade scenario. Ever. Just say what the GM said 4 hours earlier 'We have Erik Karlsson, he cares, he wants to win, he's our Captain, he's our best player, he's the best defendants in the league'

No trade scenarios, no need for drama, just following basic Policy.

The Hawks don't every out Toewes in a trade scenario, the Warriors don't put Curry in trade scenarios, the Pats don't put Brady in trade scenarios - even the thought of it sends a GM and media team into conniption fits - but you never do it because you don't want your star player even hearing these things and getting the wrong idea

Melnyks problem is he wants to be a celebrity though his hockey team. Without it, nobody cares who he is, and he uses his platform to see his face on TV and say stupid [mod] stuff

Last edited by a moderator:

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
It was not the media it was the Toronto media some of the question you could tell there were trying to go out of there way to try and make it very hard to answer.

Actually it was the Ottawa media too....mendes asked him again to clarify...and he fumbled again with his answer...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You had your GM in the morning say he could sign any catch he wanted, then you have Melnyvk come on and say that's not true, throw an EK trade scenario in there and say he hasn't talked to his 'friend' Dave Cameron yet because he's to scared to.

The guy just needs to shut up and let the GM run the team. Every time he opens his mouth he contradicts the team or throws someone under the bus.

Ok, so Melnyk should have undercut Dorion's bargaining position with the next coach by saying he'd spend 5+ mil and make our next coach the 2nd or 3rd highest paid in the league thus giving who ever we want to hire more leverage, he should have said that Dorion isn't the one in control of who does and doesn't get traded by saying that there are untouchables on this team, and I don't even get what your problem is with him holding off on talking to Cameron.

Melnyk should probably stay away from the media, because it doesn't matter what he says, people will complain. The guy could say kittens are cute and he'd have dog fanatics picketing his home calling him a dog hater.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Actually it was the Ottawa media too....mendes asked him again to clarify...and he fumbled again with his answer...

A Toronto outlet asked is any player off limits Melynk I leave that to the gm and again would you be open to trading EK I leave that to the team not sure what else he could have said.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Ok, so Melnyk should have undercut Dorion's bargaining position with the next coach by saying he'd spend 5+ mil and make our next coach the 2nd or 3rd highest paid in the league thus giving who ever we want to hire more leverage, he should have said that Dorion isn't the one in control of who does and doesn't get traded by saying that there are untouchables on this team, and I don't even get what your problem is with him holding off on talking to Cameron.

Melnyk should probably stay away from the media, because it doesn't matter what he says, people will complain. The guy could say kittens are cute and he'd have dog fanatics picketing his home calling him a dog hater.

I think his biggest issue is wording make hire a pr company to help him and the team.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Rule #1 of sports PR - don't ever put your franchise player in a trade scenario. Ever. Just say what the GM said 4 hours earlier 'We have Erik Karlsson, he cares, he wants to win, he's our Captain, he's our best player, he's the best defendants in the league'

No trade scenarios, no need for drama, just following basic Policy.

The Hawks don't every out Toewes in a trade scenario, the Warriors don't put Curry in trade scenarios, the Pats don't put Brady in trade scenarios - even the thought of it sends a GM and media team into conniption fits - but you never do it because you don't want your star player even hearing these things and getting the wrong idea

Melnyks problem is he wants to be a celebrity though his hockey team. Without it, nobody cares who he is, and he uses his platform to see his face on TV and say stupid shyte

But he kept saying its up to the team and they kept pushing.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
A Toronto outlet asked is any player off limits Melynk I leave that to the gm and again would you be open to trading EK I leave that to the team not sure what else he could have said.

Just say, "anything is possible - but we aren't trading Erik Karlsson"

And you can still trade him.

But you say this
#1 because it's true
#2 because you want to appear to be on the same page _as your GM who said that on Sunday and earlier in the day
#3 you do t want to piss off your best player
#4 at This moment in time especially, yo have to show you trust your leadership group of players
#5 you can still trade him

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
The only thing I ask Melnyk talk about with regards to the team is its financial state. I wish he would refrain from talking about hockey operations.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
But he kept saying its up to the team and they kept pushing.

You can't blame the media for yourself being an idiot. He threw Cameron u dear the bus at game 74 and tried to blame it on the media, saying they ambushed him and we're creating a controversy.

Show me an owner that threw his coach and #1 goalie prospect under the bus in the same breath in any sport and it was the media fault

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Just say, "anything is possible - but we aren't trading Erik Karlsson"

And you can still trade him.

But you say this
#1 because it's true
#2 because you want to appear to be on the same page _as your GM who said that on Sunday and earlier in the day
#3 you do t want to piss off your best player
#4 at This moment in time especially, yo have to show you trust your leadership group of players
#5 you can still trade him

If he came out and said that people would be saying he is to hands on.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
You can't blame the media for yourself being an idiot. He threw Cameron u dear the bus at game 74 and tried to blame it on the media, saying they ambushed him and we're creating a controversy.

Show me an owner that threw his coach and #1 goalie prospect under the bus in the same breath in any sport and it was the media fault

There is some media that tries to get him to say things he might not want to.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

Again, that's NOT what he said. He said for him to pay that kind of money, the coach would have to "walk on water" and it would have to make sense to do it (which is where he made that comment about spending $5 million on coaching, would that make sense if it meant taking $5 million off the roster).

As for the Karlsson comments, that was in the context of him not handcuffing any decision his GM wants to make. He was using trading EK as an example of him NOT involving himself in Pierre's decisions.

Like I said...good lord you people are trying to make something out of nothing.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
There is some media that tries to get him to say things he might not want to.

Yes, which is why if they aren't asking about the team financially I wish he wouldn't say much. Just look at the outcome.

At the same time, some here are out to lunch.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
If he came out and said that people would be saying he is to hands on.

Really? If Melnyck came out and said Erik Karlsson is wearing a Sens sweater next year the fanbase would be up in arms

The FACT that we are even talking about Erik Karlsson and ownership/trade shows what an idiot Melnyck is.

Don't we as a fanbase have enough to chew on this week? Why even bring this up? Why even go there?

And can Melnyck stop comparing hockey to horses, it just bugs me. As if a furry animal with a brain the size of an orange ridden around by a midget can compare to what we have going on in the NHL

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Really? If Melnyck came out and said Erik Karlsson is wearing a Sens sweater next year the fanbase would be up in arms

The FACT that we are even talking about Erik Karlsson and ownership/trade shows what an idiot Melnyck is.

Don't we as a fanbase have enough to chew on this week? Why even bring this up? Why even go there?

And can Melnyck stop comparing hockey to horses, it just bugs me. As if a furry animal with a brain the size of an orange ridden around by a midget can compare to what we have going on in the NHL
Did Melnyk bring it up during the interview? I haven't heard it. Who brought up trading Karlsson?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Again, that's NOT what he said. He said for him to pay that kind of money, the coach would have to "walk on water" and it would have to make sense to do it (which is where he made that comment about spending $5 million on coaching, would that make sense if it meant taking $5 million off the roster).

As for the Karlsson comments, that was in the context of him not handcuffing any decision his GM wants to make. He was using trading EK as an example of him NOT involving himself in Pierre's decisions.

Like I said...good lord you people are trying to make something out of nothing.

Melnyck is like Bobby Ryan - you're either sick of his **** or you think it's the media and some fans hating on him.

I'm just sick of !elnyck, I've never liked he guy. I've always thought he was classless and a lose canon.

Basically I will not be happy with Melnyck until he says 'I'm capping out and we are going for it, coach, players, I'm all Financially, the fans deserve this, this is our window and we are going to try and win'

Until he says that it'll just be more weird angry interviews where he talks about hot-dogs, gets angry at the Mayor, is throwing people under the bus or launching investigations to get players who did him wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

Context man. I understand the criticism of Melnyk's "walk on water" comments, but the trading EK thing was nothing. Euge basically mucked up saying that everyone is being evaluated on a level playing field, no one is above it. Are you telling me we wouldn't take McDavid and a first rounder for EK? Come on. Everyone has a price.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Did Melnyk bring it up during the interview? I haven't heard it. Who brought up trading Karlsson?

media - 'are you trading Ovechkin?'
GM - 'he's our Captain, he's our best player, he's the face of the franchise, he'll be in a Caps jersey next year'

Doesn't matter if it's true

Media - are you trading Karllson?'
Melnyck 'I have a horse and you can't tell what it will do with a computer. If they come to me and want to trade Karlsson am I going to stand in there way? The hot dogs here, can you imagine if we couldn't serve the hot dogs we wanted to serve our fans or I couldnt skate around with my daughter. I do so much in Ottawa that I don't get credit for, nobody is bigger then the team, who am I to stand in their way if they want to trade Karlsson for 3 players'

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Context man. I understand the criticism of Melnyk's "walk on water" comments, but the trading EK thing was nothing. Euge basically mucked up saying that everyone is being evaluated on a level playing field, no one is above it. Are you telling me we wouldn't take McDavid and a first rounder for EK? Come on. Everyone has a price.

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad