Confirmed with Link: Murray steps down, Dorion is our new GM

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I'd keep Julien unless I got compensated... The coaching market sucks right now for established guys

They either keep Julien or they don't. They are not entitled to compensation for firing a coach and having him sign with a division rival. If they don't want us to have him, don't fire him. They don't get to have it both ways.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It was the way he said it. I don't want our GM joking around about how our best player and captain is bad sometimes. That's not a funny joke.
Want to say something and have a plan to deal with it, go ahead. Don't make jokes like that. It's totally unprofessional and in no way does any good.

Get serious PD and stop talking like an emotional dumbass. We've had enough of Melnyk and murray saying really stupid things. I want that changed as much as anything.

You've gone off the deep end.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Only read 5 pages of the thread... hope I don't find time for more lol

So who's next on the scapegoat list, HFSens?

Kuba, to Spezza, to Phillips, to Murray...

... my bet is Bobby Ryan. He was already Target #2 after Murray, I assume he slides in as the main guy now.

I was thinking Clarke MacArthur before but with his injury it changed everything. Bobby Ryan is the likely candidate unless he puts up 70 pts every year. Considering only 17 players had 70 pts or more this season, I HIGHLY doubt it. It's going to go really bad for Bobby Ryan at some point and it will be another Ottawa gong show :laugh:

I used to care, now I just witness and enjoy those yappers tears.

Ron Hextall is in his 2nd year of rebuilding and the Flyers are looking like a force on the rise...

- Already making the playoffs
- Accumulated as many picks as the Leafs
- Rebuilt Farm System
- Dumped all bad contracts

That's what a good GM can do

All those things have been said multiple times about the Sens in Murray's tenure...

hes been here nine years... How long does it take 15-20 years?

Well, I think it's pretty clear to some people that those one liners are very disingenuous and totally out of context

2007-08 to 2009-10 : 3 years trying to remain contenders but the team was going on inevitable decline for many reasons (coaching and goaltending surely didn't help and BM was responsible for that)
2010-11 : realization by the owner (who makes the BIG decisions like that) it was time to rebuild
2011-12 to 2015-16 : growth phase, with both good and bad periods (made the playoffs 3/5, even won a round). Growing pains, inconsistency, is it normal for a young rebuilding team? lol what do you think?

5 years into a rebuild through the draft, which takes a lot more time than teams who can buy out their way out of mediocrity with buyouts and UFAs (Montreal, Toronto, Rangers)... and even then, how much more successful are those teams?

You guys need to discover the reality I think. Life is not a playstation game.

I repeat or a hundred time : product life cycle is growth-maturity-decline

Yes we want them to reach the next step and it's time to do so now but it's not as easy as it seems and as fast as you'd hope.

Yeah, the whole we're a very young team thing is really not true anymore.

Anderson is a goalie, Phillips didn't play at all, Neil is the player that plays the less EVERY game. Gomez and Kostka were just here to fill a Jersey because of injuries

Remove those guys and realize how young the team was...

Well, probably two hours too early to say this....but, told ya! It's been pretty evident for several months now (that and the organization said last summer this was his final year as GM).

So much angst the last few months from many folks on here. And for what?

For a storm in a glass of water? :dunno: :laugh:

And now we have a better prospect pool (a little overrated by some here) but our team is still crap.

The team was in bad shape when Murray took over. But people forget that Murray chose to continue with that same team for quite a while. Which I think was his biggest mistake.

Crap? They made the playoffs with 99 pts last season and missed them with 85 pts this season. It is not crap because 11 teams finished lower in the standings, which is almost half the NHL.

How do you know it was Murray WHO CHOSE to continue 3 years with the same core after the SCF (which was a reasonable thing to do for at least 2 years)

In hindsight, they should have rebuilt in 2008-09, but how do you know if Melnyk did agree with that? He's the one signing the checks, he makes those decisions.

You are already convicned Dorion is neither good nor smart?

Where's your evidence?

Probably from a very dirty and dark place :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I don't know why your arguing... Murray is gone now... Time to move on

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
The more I think about it the crazier that whole Dorion day was. The guy sounded completely unstable and unfit to handle a GM position. I can't believe the majority here were loving it all. I guess my theory is that it looked a lot worse than it sounded(even though it sounded pretty bad) and the majority only heard the radio.:dunno:
Was just imagining Cameron listening to that performance and thinking holy crap these guys are all crazy here in Ottawa.

DC on the other hand was very professional, level headed well spoken and a class act on his way out. Just like PMac was.
That type of character is not needed here. It's known now if it wasn't before. None of this helps the organization attract future smart hockey people.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The more I think about it the crazier that whole Dorion day was. The guy sounded completely unstable and unfit to handle a GM position.

Oh my god...

If there is anyone here who sounds unstable and unfit to handle something, it is you and your obsession with Pierre Dorion not being Tim Murray.

The conclusions you are drawing with the information you are using here are about as far from linear as I can think.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Oh my god...

If there is anyone here who sounds unstable and unfit to handle something, it is you and your obsession with Pierre Dorion not being Tim Murray.

The conclusions you are drawing with the information you are using here are about as far from linear as I can think.

It's a good thing people don't overreact around here.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Oh my god...

I am really starting to ****ing hate Tim Murray and hope he and his team has no success for his entire tenure. I never thought i would hate him, but my god did this board suddenly force my hand.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I am really starting to ****ing hate Tim Murray and hope he and his team has no success for his entire tenure. I never thought i would hate him, but my god did this board suddenly force my hand.

The one that made me laugh the most was someone saying we would have easily won 3 Stanley cups if Tim Murray had become our GM. :laugh:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Oh my god...

Where did I mention Tim Murray? This has nothing to do with him.
Typical hfer creating controversy and piling on someone with no basis.
The way you have been defending these guys I come on an Internet hockey forum to vent about and analyze is a little baffling to me.
As if I am the only one who noticed dorions over the top performance.
You see how you've gathered these followers now piling on about Tim Murray etc when my post had nothing to do with that?
It's similar to how warren wrote about Maclean. Fabricating controversy.

My post wasn't directed at you. What is your problem with me typing out my thoughts here?
I mean you complain about my obsession with Tim Murray when I don't even bring him up. YOU just started a discussion about Tim Murray. :shakehead

Last edited by a moderator:

Othello*

Oh my god...

No need to always bring up Tim Murray in this thread man. Dorion is the GM now and we will just have to wait and see if he's doing a good job.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Where did I mention Tim Murray? This has nothing to do with him.
Typical hfer creating controversy and piling on someone with no basis.
The way you have been defending these guys I come on an Internet hockey forum to vent about and analyze is a little baffling to me.
As if I am the only one who noticed dorions over the top performance.
You see how you've gathered these followers now piling on about Tim Murray etc when my post had nothing to do with that?
It's similar to how warren wrote about Maclean. Fabricating controversy.

My post wasn't directed at you. What is your problem with me typing out my thoughts here?
I mean you complain about my obsession with Tim Murray when I don't even bring him up. YOU just started a discussion about Tim Murray. :shakehead

My apologies. I assumed that your distaste for Dorion was just you searching for faults -regardless of how much of a stretch they are- in anyone who isn't Tim Murray, because I know how much you wanted Tim as the next Sens GM. I won't make that mistake in the future, that was an assumption on my part, and clearly it was an incorrect one.

Please continue criticizing Pierre Dorion for crazy reasons, like:
i) assuming that a display of emotion has to be an "over the top performance" instead of genuine emotion, and
ii) that him displaying emotion during the retirement press conference of someone he considers to be close family makes him unfit for the job of managing a hockey operation, and
iii) calling the guy "unstable" for reasons I haven't yet been able to figure out.
That is a totally rational thing to do, I will abstain from commenting on how weird it is in the future.

I will also make sure not to "gather these followers" in the future, like some kind of digitally reincarnated Pied Piper for the internet age. Down, my pets, down! Your master commands it! :laugh: :sarcasm:

Last edited by a moderator:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
No need to always bring up Tim Murray in this thread man. Dorion is the GM now and we will just have to wait and see if he's doing a good job.

Agreed.

I shouldn't have brought up Tim, and Dorion deserves the benefit of the doubt and a reasonable amount of time to see what his plans are.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Going to get some Timbits later and watch a Bill Murray flick. Should be a good night while I contemplate how bad of a job Dorion is going to do here.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
So what I'm gathering here is that Dorian is a horrid or best GM ever despite being a GM for a week and only firing a coach everyone wanted gone.

Typical!

I'm not saying he's going to be amazing and he could very well be awful... but it is WAY too early to tell.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Oh my god...

Did Dorions interview inspire confidence in you? He stumbled over his words said they had the resources to get any coach.

3 hours later Melnyk's interview when asked if they would spend 4 million on a coach he answered 'does he walk on water' then followed that up with comparing markets of coachs to horses.

Does anyone wonder why no one else was even interviewed for the job? Not saying Dorion will be a poor GM but I dont really like the process.

I posted this article in another thread but the facts are there... I think Murray stepped away from the position because its a no win situation.

http://the6thsens.com/2016-articles...-craig-anderson-melnyks-facing-a-lot-of-shots

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Did Dorions interview inspire confidence in you? He stumbled over his words said they had the resources to get any coach.

3 hours later Melnyk's interview when asked if they would spend 4 million on a coach he answered 'does he walk on water' then followed that up with comparing markets of coachs to horses.

I posted this article in another thread but the facts are there... I think Murray stepped away from the position because its a no win situation.

http://the6thsens.com/2016-articles...-craig-anderson-melnyks-facing-a-lot-of-shots

I did not like dorions first conference at all. I"we have good pieces. I uh. Now I would like to talk about these ".

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
He's not as articulate as I'd like but I care more about the moves he makes then how he speaks

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Does anyone wonder why no one else was even interviewed for the job? Not saying Dorion will be a poor GM but I dont really like the process.

I did not like dorions first conference at all. I"we have good pieces. I uh. Now I would like to talk about these ".

The more I think about it the crazier that whole Dorion day was. The guy sounded completely unstable and unfit to handle a GM position. I can't believe the majority here were loving it all. I guess my theory is that it looked a lot worse than it sounded(even though it sounded pretty bad) and the majority only heard the radio.:dunno:
Was just imagining Cameron listening to that performance and thinking holy crap these guys are all crazy here in Ottawa.

DC on the other hand was very professional, level headed well spoken and a class act on his way out. Just like PMac was.
That type of character is not needed here. It's known now if it wasn't before. None of this helps the organization attract future smart hockey people.

Wowzers!

What I like about these posts is that they would be the exact types of post we would see if we had a competition for who could make up the craziest thought trails based on a single Dorian presser. The fact that these are real posts makes this thread extra special, the very definition for why you "never go full ******".

Also, it is a bit frightening to have a front row seat to how twisted people's thoughts can actual get when they have a genuine dislike that needs feeding. I wouldn't wanted to be the one looking up the barrel at such folks...

To me he sounded like a real live man sharing his opinions on his first day on the job, and then a real live man showing tremendous emotion while discussing his father role model retiring (unspokenly due at least in part to his terminal cancer). I found it all quite touching actually and authentic, and found his take on the team and it's immediate future reassuring and decisive.

I often wonder what my take on things says about me....

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Wowzers!

What I like about these posts is that they would be the exact types of post we would see if we had a competition for who could make up the craziest thought trails based on a single Dorian presser. The fact that these are real posts makes this thread extra special, the very definition for why you "never go full ******".

Also, it is a bit frightening to have a front row seat to how twisted people's thoughts can actual get when they have a genuine dislike that needs feeding. I wouldn't wanted to be the one looking up the barrel at such folks...

To me he sounded like a real live man sharing his opinions on his first day on the job, and then a real live man showing tremendous emotion while discussing his father role model retiring (unspokenly due at least in part to his terminal cancer). I found it all quite touching actually and authentic, and found his take on the team and it's immediate future reassuring and decisive.

It says you have empathy and are capable of critical thought.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Wowzers!

Good post. Although Dorion speaks English quite well he is also a francophone & English is his second language which at times when emotional finding the right words can be tough. I have met Dorion at development camps a couple of times & he is a very nice man, my impression is that he is very confident some might say arrogant but he has obviously been around for a while & like most people feels he has prepared enough for the GM job & is ready to take it on. He gets on well with both Brennan & Garrioch from what I saw as well as some of the assistants around him.

I have no idea how he will do in the job, that obviously has more to do with how the players perform but he is extremely knowledgeable & I think just as ready as TM was to take on the GM duties. These guys all help each other & each benefit from the other's expertise & knowledge & together you hope they get it right. I think Dorion will probably take a few more chances than BM might have with players & I think he might bring in a coach who is more in line with his kind of thinking, more flexible & Yeo might just be that guy as opposed to older coaches who may not be & more set in their ways. Some people are better at listening to other opinions & some prefer to do their own thing & prefer their own opinion, I'm hoping he has learned to listen to others from BM who was really good at listening to all sides first before making decisions. Just a thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00