Confirmed with Link: Murray steps down, Dorion is our new GM

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
media - 'are you trading Ovechkin?'
GM - 'he's our Captain, he's our best player, he's the face of the franchise, he'll be in a Caps jersey next year'

Doesn't matter if it's true

Media - are you trading Karllson?'
Melnyck 'I have a horse and you can't tell what it will do with a computer. If they come to me and want to trade Karlsson am I going to stand in there way? The hot dogs here, can you imagine if we couldn't serve the hot dogs we wanted to serve our fans or I couldnt skate around with my daughter. I do so much in Ottawa that I don't get credit for, nobody is bigger then the team, who am I to stand in their way if they want to trade Karlsson for 3 players'

You didn't answer the question. Who brought it up?

Last edited by a moderator:

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
LOL.

Fans "MELNYK IS TOO INVOLVED"
Melnyk "I won't stop management from making a trade"
Fans "OMG MELNYK WOULDNT BLOCK A KARLSSON TRADE".

This board has gotten so much worse over time.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
So Melnyck Did a media interview and you are asking who asked the question?
Sigh, I asked who brought it up because:

The FACT that we are even talking about Erik Karlsson and ownership/trade shows what an idiot Melnyck is.

Don't we as a fanbase have enough to chew on this week? Why even bring this up? Why even go there?
Who brought it up?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
So Melnyck Did a media interview and you are asking who asked the question?
EM never brought up trading EK ,the reporter did .EM didnt say anything that isnt obvious .Everybody is evaluated ,he believes like most fans .EK isnt an issue .Him being traded wouldnt be up to him ,but pretty much said in his own words that it would take alot .And he would make sure the GM was completely sure about doing so ,but wouldnt stand in his way .If it was the GM,s decision,because if it went badly the gm would be on the hook for it and he would take a 3 month vacation :nod:

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
It was not the media it was the Toronto media some of the question you could tell there were trying to go out of there way to try and make it very hard to answer.

He should stop giving interviews if they keep backfiring on him. End of.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Sigh, I asked who brought it up because:

Who brought it up?

Here's the thing you don't understand - the media has no allegiance to the Senators, to EK, to Melnyck or anybody else.

Melnyck does have allegiance to EK, EK puts people in the arena, this. The player we pay to see, he's a phenom, our Captain the face of the franchise. With people like this you are loyal to and are making you tons of money, you show them respect.

If someone asks you if you want to divorce your wife you don't even answer the question. You just say 'I love my wife.' You don't make up some abstract divorce scene rio and even hint that a divorce is possible, and then blame your answer on the fact that someone asked, you just shut it down. And Memdes is the softest media member of the Ottawa market that was soft lobed you a question you screwed up, if yo can't handle Mendes for 5 minutes - just don't do media.

Am I worried EK is getting trade - not at all. Am I worried the owner hurts the team and makes it look like a Micky mouse show every time he opens his mouth - yes

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
media - 'are you trading Ovechkin?'
GM - 'he's our Captain, he's our best player, he's the face of the franchise, he'll be in a Caps jersey next year'

Doesn't matter if it's true

Media - are you trading Karllson?'
Melnyck 'I have a horse and you can't tell what it will do with a computer. If they come to me and want to trade Karlsson am I going to stand in there way? The hot dogs here, can you imagine if we couldn't serve the hot dogs we wanted to serve our fans or I couldnt skate around with my daughter. I do so much in Ottawa that I don't get credit for, nobody is bigger then the team, who am I to stand in their way if they want to trade Karlsson for 3 players'

:laugh:

Brilliant.

Seriously though, I hope for Sens fan's sake that Melnyk can sell the team to a competent owner.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Ahhh, light insults.

Here's the thing you don't understand - the media has no allegiance to the Senators, to EK, to Melnyck or anybody else.

Melnyck does have allegiance to EK, EK puts people in the arena, this. The player we pay to see, he's a phenom, our Captain the face of the franchise. With people like this you are loyal to and are making you tons of money, you show them respect.

If someone asks you if you want to divorce your wife you don't even answer the question. You just say 'I love my wife.' You don't make up some abstract divorce scene rio and even hint that a divorce is possible, and then blame your answer on the fact that someone asked, you just shut it down. And Memdes is the softest media member of the Ottawa market that was soft lobed you a question you screwed up, if yo can't handle Mendes for 5 minutes - just don't do media.

Am I worried EK is getting trade - not at all. Am I worried the owner hurts the team and makes it look like a Micky mouse show every time he opens his mouth - yes

BLAH BLAH BLAH! All this talk about how Melnyk should respond and you still haven't answered my question! Hilarious!

I don't like when Melnyk talks about hockey ops, wish he wouldn't, but I'm not going to cut the guy about about it. I'm certainly not going to fabricate scenarios.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Something I am learning more recently with all the dorion and melnyk talk is that the organization pays too much attention to social media opinions.

One thing in particular that really bothered me was how Dorion, on his first day of the job, joked about how he thought Karlsson was good sometimes and bad sometimes. He said it as though he was trying to befriend the fans who complain, but he seemed to really believe that karlsson is bad sometimes.
This is the kind of talk we need to try and put an end to. It was the wrong thing to say and for the GM to say it is a very bad sign imo.
No i'm not reading too much into it. I think it is a big deal.

Management and owner need to worry about their job and that is all. Don't ever read social media teenagers on the internet. And should go without saying, don't let their whining influence decisions.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I would assume a statement one way or the other from the Bruins about Julien would be forthcoming soon. They will not let him twist in the wind, we'd hope.

Melnyk and Dorion will have already made a decision on to offer or not and at what cost - if Dorion wants him as first choice. Melnyk probably has to sign off as a minimum.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Good news for Dorion this year, Ottawa is the o lay team without a coach so he has his pick of the litter.

Maybe St Lou, Anaheim might have openings - but even better if Hitch and Bruce are available.

Great starting place for a new GM - lots of coaches looking for 2-3 jobs.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Thinking just with just the adjustment from the new incoming hire ,being able to choose his assistants .Will be huge ,it will allow the coach to do what he thinks is best for the teams best interest .Without having to worry about what the management,is thinking .Or their mole assistant is telling them :nod:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Good news for Dorion this year, Ottawa is the o lay team without a coach so he has his pick of the litter.

Maybe St Lou, Anaheim might have openings - but even better if Hitch and Bruce are available.

Great starting place for a new GM - lots of coaches looking for 2-3 jobs.

Yep, we really won't know until the end of round 1 who will really be available/how many other teams will be shopping for coaches.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Yep, we really won't know until the end of round 1 who will really be available/how many other teams will be shopping for coaches.

And lots of rumours about top Centers being out there - RNH, Stamkos, Duchesne, J. Staal.

Great starting point for the GM - top Centers being shopped and he's the only GM with a coach opening in the NHL.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Something I am learning more recently with all the dorion and melnyk talk is that the organization pays too much attention to social media opinions.

One thing in particular that really bothered me was how Dorion, on his first day of the job, joked about how he thought Karlsson was good sometimes and bad sometimes. He said it as though he was trying to befriend the fans who complain, but he seemed to really believe that karlsson is bad sometimes.
This is the kind of talk we need to try and put an end to. It was the wrong thing to say and for the GM to say it is a very bad sign imo.
No i'm not reading too much into it. I think it is a big deal.

Management and owner need to worry about their job and that is all. Don't ever read social media teenagers on the internet. And should go without saying, don't let their whining influence decisions.

Karlsson himself said he was bad sometimes. He said he felt like he cost the team some games. He said this was his most disappointing season.

I don't think Karlsson is going to feel insulted about what Dorion said. Karlsson very much takes full responsibilities for some of his mistakes. Karlsson is hungry to be better. Hopefully a new coach an a better system and a healthier team can help Erik have a better year next year.

I see Dorion as talking about "reality" and Karlsson very realistic about his overall play this season.

The team is not served at all by glossing over any of the issues and problems that caused this poor season. From what I see from all the players interviews, from The Captain, from Dorion. Everyone seems to see the issues, and everyone is willing to accept their mistakes. Everyone seems to want to find a way to right the ship. Everyone seems on the same page and everyone is being bluntly honest about the season.

Dorion effusively praising Karlsson and everything about his game this year would be a problem. He isn't doing that. That's good.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
It was the way he said it. I don't want our GM joking around about how our best player and captain is bad sometimes. That's not a funny joke.
Want to say something and have a plan to deal with it, go ahead. Don't make jokes like that. It's totally unprofessional and in no way does any good.

Get serious PD and stop talking like an emotional dumbass. We've had enough of Melnyk and murray saying really stupid things. I want that changed as much as anything.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
In the article it says..

if Dorion has to take a chance on somebody that doesn’t have the experience … why not gamble on old No. 11?

1) There is always guys with NHL experience. Many of them actually.

Carlyle, Crawford, Yeo, Carbonneau, Boucher just to name a few.

2) The whole point of changing a coach is to bring stability.

I'm really skeptical of bringing ANOTHER coach with no NHL coaching experience. How can this bring stability to this team? Bringing a coach with no NHL coaching experience at all is even worse.

I really don't understand how this could even be an option.

Dorion HAS to make the right choice this time around. We've had 7 coaches in the last 9 years and the biggest common problem with all of these coaches is that they have no experience. Bring in someone who knows what it is to win as a head coach, that will be able to bring stability to this team.

Stability cannot be reached (IMO) by bringing someone who'd literally learn how to coach on the spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad