Confirmed Trade: [MTL/TOR] Plekanec (50%), Baun for Valiev, Rychel, 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Early days but hes looked pretty slow and not that effective.

Hopefully he starts to play better.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
The irony here is staggering considering Toronto fans were putting dermott in the norris conversation after he showed be could play 13 minutes a night competently.

Juulsen is playing fantastic and the notion that he was a bad pick or will only become a spare d at best is laughably stupid.

the over-exaggeration here is beyond stupid. Leafs fans were saying Dermott was one of the better young dmen in the league (which he clearly is). but I guess you wanna compare guys now eh?

Dermott:
2g/16a/18pts/+15 in 28 AHL games
1g/8a/9pts/+10 in 24 NHL games

Juulsen:
1g/5a/6pts/-9 in 31 AHL games
1g/0a/1pts/+3 in 6 NHL games

at this point its dermott AINEC. leafs smartly didnt waste a 1st rd pick at that slot either, they moved back and got a 2nd (Bracco) and 3rd (Dzierkals) to grab the dman thats better than the guy used their 1st on.

habs are awful because they are bad at drafting and even worse at trading. you deserve that team brah

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I saw that Valiev got called up by the Habs. Is one of the main guys injured and will he get an opportunity?

things are pretty dire when the dman that was 12th on the leafs depth chart is playing for the habs

Reactions: Kelly

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
things are pretty dire when the dman that was 12th on the leafs depth chart is playing for the habs

It's probably just to get a look how the guy can handle NHL assignments. We've got nothing to lose anymore this year so why not? Teams out of playoff contention do this all the time.

Reactions: Halakitlikethat

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
the over-exaggeration here is beyond stupid. Leafs fans were saying Dermott was one of the better young dmen in the league (which he clearly is). but I guess you wanna compare guys now eh?

Dermott:

Juulsen:

at this point its dermott AINEC. leafs smartly didnt waste a 1st rd pick at that slot either, they moved back and got a 2nd (Bracco) and 3rd (Dzierkals) to grab the dman thats better than the guy used their 1st on.

habs are awful because they are bad at drafting and even worse at trading. you deserve that team brah

Juulsen's stats in the AHL are a bit misleading since he's practically had to carry a terrible defensive team in there. Drafting hasn't been the problem for us in years, it's developing the players after the draft. Juulsen is just talented enough to not bust in the hands of our horrible AHL staff.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I think people are forgetting to factor in the prices paid during this trade deadline. Vanek cost VGK a 1,2,3 rounder

Vanek wasn't traded to VGK. Your are probably thinking about Tatar.

Jackets acquire Thomas Vanek from Canucks in exchange for Jokinen, Motte

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I mean if a 2nd round pick for a 4th liner is highway robbery, that is some very small minded thinking. We pretty much gave them away as a favour .....

We had players like Rychel, Sosh and Valiev in scores of our trade proposals, and yet we would argue vehemently when people complained about the poor return value and lopsided trades that were being offered - kind of ironic.

Agree with you that these players will get a better chance to do something in the NHL with another team, and for their sake, I'm glad that we did it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mork

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

Dermott:

Juulsen:

And Montreal was smart to get a better defenseman than Dermott with a 4th round pick the next year!

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Plekanec was never a goalscorer. Fans were hoping for a third rd pick up until the deadline when they realized they could get more. He slowed down, hasn't played very well and is getting long in the tooth but since he plays Center he fills a void with a playoff team.
That was the take before the trade.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
I saw that Valiev got called up by the Habs. Is one of the main guys injured and will he get an opportunity?

Mete has a hand injury. I assume he'll get some action, have to think that the Habs brass wants to see him in NHL game action. He'll likely share some time with Reilly unless Julien decides to give Schlemko/Benn some days off.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
And Montreal was smart to get a better defenseman than Dermott with a 4th round pick the next year!

Don't know why you're bringing that up which is debatable btw because its looking like Mete has been rushed. But no matter what other moves the Leafs did during that draft, they were pretty clearly the winners of Mete's draft year.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Plekanec was never a goalscorer. Fans were hoping for a third rd pick up until the deadline when they realized they could get more. He slowed down, hasn't played very well and is getting long in the tooth but since he plays Center he fills a void with a playoff team.
That was the take before the trade.

Most of this post is incorrect. Plekanec was never a goalscorer indeed but he hasn't slowed down, has played very well defensively and is in an excellent physical shape for his age. 2nd round pick, maybe with a minor plus, was what fans were generally asking here throughout the year. He's pretty much completely lost his scoring touch for some reason but when you watch him play you should realize this guy can keep up with the pace and does a ton of right things out there.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Don't know why you're bringing that up which is debatable btw because its looking like Mete has been rushed. But no matter what other moves the Leafs did during that draft, they were pretty clearly the winners of Mete's draft year.

How on earth is it looking like Mete's been rushed? He's been their most consistent defender for the time he's been in the NHL and was released to go play in the World Jr's to continue his development.

There's zero evidence of what you claim. What are you talking about?

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Plekanec hasn’t looked great so far with the Leafs but there is probably a lot going on right now.

New team, new city, new role (with matthews out) and weird games like the Stadium Series haven’t helped.

Hopefully we can find the right niche for him and better integrate him down the stretch

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
How on earth is it looking like Mete's been rushed? He's been their most consistent defender for the time he's been in the NHL and was released to go play in the World Jr's to continue his development.

There's zero evidence of what you claim. What are you talking about?

We'll see how his development goes from here but being brought up on a struggling team and mediocre defense and being brought up to play with Weber aren't good signs for patient development. Typically, players who are rushed have a good first year. Luke Schenn did too. We'll see where it goes from here.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
The irony here is staggering considering Toronto fans were putting dermott in the norris conversation after he showed be could play 13 minutes a night competently.

Juulsen is playing fantastic and the notion that he was a bad pick or will only become a spare d at best is laughably stupid.

Grow up.

Reactions: Mork

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
We'll see how his development goes from here but being brought up on a struggling team and mediocre defense and being brought up to play with Weber aren't good signs for patient development. Typically, players who are rushed have a good first year. Luke Schenn did too. We'll see where it goes from here.

Also known as the Morgan Rielly method

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Definitely hindered his development. Although he wasn't just thrown to the wolves on the top line with Phanuef.

The fact that Weber averaged over 25 minutes a game where as Mete is at 15:35 should probably call that narrative in to question. They really didn't play that much together.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Plekanec hasn’t looked great so far with the Leafs but there is probably a lot going on right now.

New team, new city, new role (with matthews out) and weird games like the Stadium Series haven’t helped.

Hopefully we can find the right niche for him and better integrate him down the stretch
I think he'll come around soon enough. Probably still adjusting. I'd imagine it would be a bit awkward at first. When it comes to crunch I'm confident he'll pull through for you

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I think he'll come around soon enough. Probably still adjusting. I'd imagine it would be a bit awkward at first. When it comes to crunch I'm confident he'll pull through for you

Plek's game is also pretty subtle. Even if it looks like he isn't doing much you have to try and notice what the other team's players AREN'T doing when he is on the ice. I would be shocked if Toronto fans aren't happy with him by the end of his tenure there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad