Confirmed Trade: [MTL/TOR] Plekanec (50%), Baun for Valiev, Rychel, 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Still waiting on his first pt. I am surprised how little impact he has had thus far. Thought he would be better on a deeper team. Maybe he needs a little more time to adjust but I recall him being much better with a Red and Blue jersey.
He's not going to be getting points. There is a reason why a terrible Montreal team barely played him on the PP. He kills any kind of offense and makes players around him worse offensively. He is solely a shutdown guy.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's not going to be getting points. There is a reason why a terrible Montreal team barely played him on the PP. He kills any kind of offense and makes players around him worse offensively. He is solely a shutdown guy.

Is Montreal going to re-sign him this summer? He looks all but done. Another quiet game last night. Not sure he has much left in the tank after this season.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Is Montreal going to re-sign him this summer? He looks all but done. Another quiet game last night. Not sure he has much left in the tank after this season.

If Bergevin won't strengthen the C depth before July 1st, I don't see a reason to not re-sign him. Despite being an offensive black hole for the last two years he has still been useful and is a better 3C option than De La Rose.

Habs fans warned the Leafs fans when the trade was made, he won't set the world on fire. Still odd to hear he's not doing even adequately.

Reactions: iSophagus

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Bergevin won't strengthen the C depth before July 1st, I don't see a reason to not re-sign him. Despite being an offensive black hole for the last two years he has still been useful and is a better 3C option than De La Rose.

Habs fans warned the Leafs fans when the trade was made, he won't set the world on fire. Still odd to hear he's not doing even adequately.
I always thought he was a bit underrated as a Hab. Played too high in the line up, had the Canadiens had a true #1C. Pleky would have been slotted better. Bergevin will have some options. If I were him I would try to sign Bozak and JVR when they hit UFA as a package. Put Drouin on the right wing with those 2. And if Pleky wants to return, take a Habs discount to play #3C.

txw

Feb 2, 2018

Plekanec has almost guaranteed he'd come back to MTL next season, but do they pull the trigger on a rebuild? He could be outta luck.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I always thought he was a bit underrated as a Hab. Played too high in the line up, had the Canadiens had a true #1C. Pleky would have been slotted better. Bergevin will have some options. If I were him I would try to sign Bozak and JVR when they hit UFA as a package. Put Drouin on the right wing with those 2. And if Pleky wants to return, take a Habs discount to play #3C.

You probably assume we're trading Patches for futures around the draft? Because otherwise there's no chance we can fit both Bozak and JVR under the cap. We would then have a spot in the lineup for both so it's not a terrible idea but seems like another desperate move to turn the ship around, essentially it would do nothing but postpone the rebuild. The proposed JVR-Bozak-Drouin line sounds like a total defensive trainwreck though. As for Pleks, he's always welcome as long as the salary is reasonable and I do believe he is willing to take a discount.

Cotton

May 13, 2013

The Winter Soldier isn’t a Leafs fan, doesn’t watch the games and bumped the thread just to try and ruffle feathers.

He has been doing what we hoped, he’s over 57% on faceoffs and been solid defensively, no offence but he wasn’t brought over for that. What he was brought over for, many suspect, is to shadow Marchand in the playoffs. He’s a useful player.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You probably assume we're trading Patches for futures around the draft? Because otherwise there's no chance we can fit both Bozak and JVR under the cap. We would then have a spot in the lineup for both so it's not a terrible idea but seems like another desperate move to turn the ship around, essentially it would do nothing but postpone the rebuild. The proposed JVR-Bozak-Drouin line sounds like a total defensive trainwreck though. As for Pleks, he's always welcome as long as the salary is reasonable and I do believe he is willing to take a discount.

Yes, I see some salary moving going on here. The big question is can they unload Price's or Weber's contracts, or most of their contracts? Rebuilding is not a 5 year deal like it used to be. I do believe Bozak and JVR as a package signing will help. If the Habs draft a franchise winger in Zadina or Svechnikov. They could fit in nicely with 2 vets that are still pretty productive. All it would cost is money. But unloading salary to make that happen will be the challenge for Bergevin. So Pleky would have to take a pay reduction if he is to return to Les Habitants.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The Winter Soldier isn’t a Leafs fan, doesn’t watch the games and bumped the thread just to try and ruffle feathers.

He has been doing what we hoped, he’s over 57% on faceoffs and been solid defensively, no offence but he wasn’t brought over for that. What he was brought over for, many suspect, is to shadow Marchand in the playoffs. He’s a useful player.

Just stop it. We are having a nice discussion here without this crap. But since you think it is just me that is underwhelmed by Pleky's play of late. Check your own board.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/the-tomas-plekanec-thread.2456073/page-9#post-143090905

Reactions: sebsisles

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Yes, I see some salary moving going on here. The big question is can they unload Price's or Weber's contracts, or most of their contracts? Rebuilding is not a 5 year deal like it used to be. I do believe Bozak and JVR as a package signing will help. If the Habs draft a franchise winger in Zadina or Svechnikov. They could fit in nicely with 2 vets that are still pretty productive. All it would cost is money. But unloading salary to make that happen will be the challenge for Bergevin. So Pleky would have to take a pay reduction if he is to return to Les Habitants.

I don't think trading Price or Weber is realistic at the moment. There probably won't be many takers for them as both had a quiet year and their contracts are not a pressing issue for the Habs, we can unload salary in other ways if needed. As for the draft, we shouldn't be looking for a winger with our pick, the most important thing is to get a top 6 C or an offensive top pairing LHD, and this year's draft is crazy deep at offensive LHD's so that's what we're looking for in this draft.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Just stop it. We are having a nice discussion here without this crap. But since you think it is just me that is underwhelmed by Pleky's play of late. Check your own board.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/the-tomas-plekanec-thread.2456073/page-9#post-143090905

You stop it, everyone knows your shtick so acting all innocent isn’t going to work.

Some fans are whiners, I could pull up GDT HFJets where Laine is getting roasted, so you posting a link doesn’t mean much. Especially when we have posters that complain about Babcock, Matthews, Marner etc. They don’t represent the majority.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You stop it, everyone knows your shtick so acting all innocent isn’t going to work.

Some fans are whiners, I could pull up GDT HFJets where Laine is getting roasted, so you posting a link doesn’t mean much. Especially when we have posters that complain about Babcock, Matthews, Marner etc. They don’t represent the majority.
So you are accusing me for a biased opinion that was shared by Leafs fans on your own board. Stick to the topic. Pleky. Or comment on the stats line 0 pts -2 in 7GP.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
So you are accusing me for a biased opinion that was shared by Leafs fans on your own board. Stick to the topic. Pleky. Or comment on the stats line 0 pts -2 in 7GP.

I’m accusing you of baiting, which is a sentiment about you shared by many posters of many fan bases. The only reason I commented at all was because I didn’t want that poster to confuse you for a Leafs fan... or even as someone who could provide an honest or informed perspective (you stay watch). I have no desire to converse with you otherwise and am only responding to your questions.

And I did take part, I noted he’s been a good addition, and why he will continue being one heading into the playoffs.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Only Leaf fans can make comments about their players, you know this! shame on you for basically confirming what they are saying :sarcasm:

Well you guys are sure more accommodating on my posts on Barzal and my critiques of Tavares this year. Some fanbases are far less self absorbed and defensive I guess. Thanks for noting this is the Main board not one team's board. :thumbu:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

You do get that he's not there to score right? You do understand this right?

The Leafs have Matthews Marner, Nylander, JVR, Kadri, Marleau, and to lesser extent Brown, Hyman and Bozak to score.

That is 9 guys with 10+ goals,3 can hit 30, 4 can hit 25, and as many as 6 can hit 20, although Nylander would need a couple big games.

Pleks doesn't need to score, the Leafs have scoring, Pleks is there to win faceoffs and help the PK and for the most part he's done that.

Reactions: Cotton

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
[...]

Pleks doesn't need to score, the Leafs have scoring, Pleks is there to win faceoffs and help the PK and for the most part he's done that.

Ya, he doesn't need to score. But he does need to do something. I already went on record as saying he can coast through the entire season, as long as he shows up for the playoffs to shut down the opposition. So I don't care that he hasn't done much.

But you can't deny that fact. He hasn't done much. Hasn't been visible at all. No impressive PK efforts, no FO dominance or winning key draws. No big matchups where he shaddows stars. He's been a non factor in every game so far.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

Ok, the Leafs gave a second rounder for Pleks. He gives the Leafs five NHL centres going into the playoffs.
Since you're such a big stats guy,,,,how this, the Canadians traded a potential stud young Dman to Tampa to acquire Drouin who is a minus 26 this season.
Gee maybe the Habs would have better to trade Drouin to the Leafs and get rid of his contract than the expiring contract of Pleks.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't think trading Price or Weber is realistic at the moment. There probably won't be many takers for them as both had a quiet year and their contracts are not a pressing issue for the Habs, we can unload salary in other ways if needed. As for the draft, we shouldn't be looking for a winger with our pick, the most important thing is to get a top 6 C or an offensive top pairing LHD, and this year's draft is crazy deep at offensive LHD's so that's what we're looking for in this draft.

There are no top 6C's within my top 6 picks. It's 3 elite wingers or 3 elite D prospects and then a drop off. I look at how Winnipeg is constructed and I know they have Scheifele but they are more than surviving without him this season. Having strong core bookends and plugging in decent Centers may be the way to go now. Ask Edmonton, they need quality wingers to play with McDavid and they have the best Center in the game. The NHL Model is ever changing. And maybe talented wingers could carry a center like Pleky next year if he re-signs with the Habs.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

Do you really want Price to murder Bergevin ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad