Confirmed Trade: [MTL/TOR] Plekanec (50%), Baun for Valiev, Rychel, 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Who are the top 11?
Top 11, in terms of who is ahead of Valiev today and moving forward? Well,

Rielly, Gardiner, Zaitsev, Dermott, Hainsey, Carrick, Borgman, Polak, Holl, Liljegren, Nielsen, Rosen and Marincin. The last 2 are debatable but have been recently given chances over Valiev.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Don't know why you're bringing that up which is debatable btw because its looking like Mete has been rushed. But no matter what other moves the Leafs did during that draft, they were pretty clearly the winners of Mete's draft year.

Mete wasn’t rushed at all. He’s been with Petry our most consistent D since Weber went down. Lately he’s been joining the rush more often and although it hasn’t related in many points, it has clearly helped us maintain pressure in the O zone as well as getting more scoring chances

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
So in terms of prospects he's the 3rd callup, after Rosen and Borgman, and before Liljegrin. That's not too desperate of the Habs to give him a shot as a call up.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The fact that Weber averaged over 25 minutes a game where as Mete is at 15:35 should probably call that narrative in to question. They really didn't play that much together.

Mete wasn’t rushed at all. He’s been with Petry our most consistent D since Weber went down. Lately he’s been joining the rush more often and although it hasn’t related in many points, it has clearly helped us maintain pressure in the O zone as well as getting more scoring chances

We won't truly know if he's been rushed until we see how his development proceeds mostly starting in year 2. But there are signs of rushing the player. But we'll see. Who knows, maybe this early exposure might be good for him, but I've been having my doubts.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
We won't truly know if he's been rushed until we see how his development proceeds mostly starting in year 2. But there are signs of rushing the player. But we'll see. Who knows, maybe this early exposure might be good for him, but I've been having my doubts.

Those being?

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

I haven't seen any sign that would prove that. I think what sold Habs management is how effective and dominant he was at the WJC against the best of the best of his age (17-19). He definitely belongs in the NHL and he definitely improved a lot since the start of the season. When he gets his offense going, he's going to be a force in this league.

Reactions: Fixxer

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Those being?

Being put in situations where success and confidence are difficult to garner. Skipping an entire development league and being place straight into pros. Typically its good for dman to develop structures and systems in the AHL. Being thrown to the wolves and having to learn the systems and structure in a failing environment. He might get through it. I just have doubts.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Being put in situations where success and confidence are difficult to garner. Skipping an entire development league and being place straight into pros. Typically its good for dman to develop structures and systems in the AHL. Being thrown to the wolves and having to learn the systems and structure in a failing environment. He might get through it. I just have doubts.
Lol those are not signs.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
So in terms of prospects he's the 3rd callup, after Rosen and Borgman, and before Liljegrin. That's not too desperate of the Habs to give him a shot as a call up.

In reality he was the 3rd callup for LHD. Overall he was also behind Holl and Marincin. About a month ago, Wheeler at the Athletic, ranked the Marlies D performance (not prospect rank) this year as Dermott, Marincin, Liljegren, Holl, Rosen, Valiev (and then two others). Of course, Dermott had already moved up by that point, and Borgman down.

If I were Montreal, I would definitely give him a shot at the big club and he might solidify himself as a 3rd pairing or 7D. He has always played well in the games I have watched him play for the Marlies, but it was sometimes hard for him to get ice time competing against those 5 ahead of him. His future with Toronto was hampered by his skating and significant LHD depth compared to RHD depth. Montreal has a number of decent RHD prospects, and at least to me, seems a little thinner on LHD prospects.

Sand94

Oct 5, 2017

I’m not sure i should even bother responding because the rest of your posts have been just as idiotic, but wtv.

Those are SITUATIONS that could LEAD to having a player being rushed. If you actually WATCHED Mete play on a regular basis, you’d see the actual SIGNS pointing to him being a very solid defenseman for a very very long time. The actual SIGNS show that he’s becoming more and more confident with the puck and learning how to jump in the play at the perfect times to support the attack. If his shot gets a little bit better and stronger (easiest skill to work on) then he’s going to be a STUD.

Stick to the leafs buddy, you clearly have trouble with evaluating other teams.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
The prospects might amount to something (small) eventually, but the only thing on value sent was the 2nd rounder.

I'm quickly tiring of sending 2nd's for 4th line center rentals. You can get some good players in the second round.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I understand the thought process behind acquiring Plekanec: he's a veteran two way center who has historically matched up well against Boston on a team that regularly gives Boston and Bergeron/Krejci fits. However, at this very early stage since the deadline without Auston Matthews, he looks to be a flop. It's hard to imagine him firing on all cylinders mopping up the hard match ups.

The bigger picture issue I have is between the Boyle and Plekanec trades: the Leafs have sent away 2 second rounders who fall into that Grundstrom, Raddysh, Hart territory, so basically two pretty good prospects that can push a rebuilding system from "healthy" to "overflowing" - to Atlantic Division opponents no less. In my own interpretation of the Shanaplan, this is a no no, since those picks can mature and help the club, or be packaged up further along in their development for something really good.

At this stage, Plekanec looks kind of washed up. Signing a guy like Brian Gionta off of the dumpster heap would have been way more economical.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I'm happy if Valiev gets a shot with the Habs. He's a good young player who deserves that, and he was buried on the Leafs. They have a deep system.

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
Think both sides can grow up and stop bickering especially after reading stuff like this
things are pretty dire when the dman that was 12th on the leafs depth chart is playing for the habs
you’d think leafs fans would be a little more humble after the way that team was the last decade plus.
Silly thread to bicker in, the teams are in way different positions and they both got what they needed out of this deal.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I’m not sure i should even bother responding because the rest of your posts have been just as idiotic, but wtv.

Those are SITUATIONS that could LEAD to having a player being rushed. If you actually WATCHED Mete play on a regular basis, you’d see the actual SIGNS pointing to him being a very solid defenseman for a very very long time. The actual SIGNS show that he’s becoming more and more confident with the puck and learning how to jump in the play at the perfect times to support the attack. If his shot gets a little bit better and stronger (easiest skill to work on) then he’s going to be a STUD.

Stick to the leafs buddy, you clearly have trouble with evaluating other teams.

Doesn't take a genius to evaluate how crappy the habs have been this year. Next year we'll see how amazing Mete will be or if he takes a huge step back. If he takes a step back like I'm predicting, what will be your cocky response then? Or will you just hide away and avoid all things Mete related. Those "situations" lead to a player being rushed and can cause Mete too be rushed. I'm am of the opinion he will show more signs of being rushed next year.

If you wanna sit around acting like god and saying there's no chance of him being rushed and scoffing any kind of skepticism with ignorant lashing out then there's no point in responding to you. Just shut your ears and enjoy the team you have I guess.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I think this trade was almost predictable in a certain sense. Having the extra 2nd made me feel that Leaf management wouldn't have an issue dealing it. When it come to all possible situations, this is how I see it.

Selling off UFAs: Once guys like JVR and Bozak weren't dealt in the summer, I knew they were here to ride out their contracts unless the team sucked and this was not going to be a playoff year.
Managment wasn't going to sell off these pieces, even if they felt this isn't the year. They likely value the playoff experience and of course the playoff revenue.

Selling the farm and going for it: This likely wasn't going to happen either. It is too early in the cycle/window. This was a year for a team like Tampa to do it. Leaf management likely feel there is more building to do and it is early, which makes sense.

So the Leafs took the "let's do as much as we can without giving up too much" approach. "Maybe we don't win the Cup, but this move helps us win a round, giving extra experience and revenue."

Is this "half-assed" approach a good idea? Probably not. I was not in the go for it crowd, but also know selling off UFAs in this situation would have been silly. In the end, it probably won't amount to much. We probably still lose 1st round, Plek will go back to Montreal and statistically, that pick won't turn out to be a good player. Not that the pick can't or won't, just regular draft odds are against it.

So it probably means little for each team so I don't care too much, but again the "half-assed" approach probably wasn't the best idea.

tmac51

May 15, 2015
Winnipeg
Doesn't take a genius to evaluate how crappy the habs have been this year. Next year we'll see how amazing Mete will be or if he takes a huge step back. If he takes a step back like I'm predicting, what will be your cocky response then? Or will you just hide away and avoid all things Mete related. Those "situations" lead to a player being rushed and can cause Mete too be rushed. I'm am of the opinion he will show more signs of being rushed next year.

If you wanna sit around acting like god and saying there's no chance of him being rushed and scoffing any kind of skepticism with ignorant lashing out then there's no point in responding to you. Just shut your ears and enjoy the team you have I guess.
You’re still not listing any signs and are completely avoiding the question by listing “situations” that may or may not lead to it. You said there were signs of him being rushed. What are they? Don’t list things that can cause “rushing,” list what the actual signs are.
Also, I know you said he will regress next year but in a previous post, I’m saying it again to be very clear, you said there were signs from this year that he was rushed.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Still waiting on his first pt. I am surprised how little impact he has had thus far. Thought he would be better on a deeper team. Maybe he needs a little more time to adjust but I recall him being much better with a Red and Blue jersey.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Still waiting on his first pt. I am surprised how little impact he has had thus far. Thought he would be better on a deeper team. Maybe he needs a little more time to adjust but I recall him being much better with a Red and Blue jersey.

He's played almost exclusively other then a game and a few shifts on the 4th line. With mtl he was playing 16 mins a game in Toronto it's 11, ice time being cut by 5 minutes is significant. That and he has a insanely lopsided zone start usage. He starts over 70% of the time in the d zone despite that is 57% on the draw.

Offense will pick up when Matthews is back. Matthews will take some of those hard faceoffs and matchups from him.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Think both sides can grow up and stop bickering especially after reading stuff like this
you’d think leafs fans would be a little more humble after the way that team was the last decade plus.
Silly thread to bicker in, the teams are in way different positions and they both got what they needed out of this deal.

I like this thought. Could stand to have more of that thinking in here. Some people come in throwing jabs and bombs (Internet tough guy routine I guess) and then can't figure out why they get push back, and of course, feigning or claiming innocence all along. It's possible that the same person has different user names as well.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's played almost exclusively other then a game and a few shifts on the 4th line. With mtl he was playing 16 mins a game in Toronto it's 11, ice time being cut by 5 minutes is significant. That and he has a insanely lopsided zone start usage. He starts over 70% of the time in the d zone despite that is 57% on the draw.

Offense will pick up when Matthews is back. Matthews will take some of those hard faceoffs and matchups from him.

I thought he was a pretty good player in Montreal. With the off year I give players the benefit of doubt in the reflection in stats. Thought it was a good trade for both teams when it happened. If Pleky can up his play, then it will be. Montreal already got a valuable 2nd rd pick and some young players that may help them in the future. If Pleky can help in the playoffs. This deal might be worth the assets given up.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I thought he was a pretty good player in Montreal. With the off year I give players the benefit of doubt in the reflection in stats. Thought it was a good trade for both teams when it happened. If Pleky can up his play, then it will be. Montreal already got a valuable 2nd rd pick and some young players that may help them in the future. If Pleky can help in the playoffs. This deal might be worth the assets given up.
Yeah. Mtl got a semi legit prospect in valiev and a solid 2nd. Good assets.
Leafs got got someone who can help take the burden off kadri and Matthews who can then focus more on offense. Just Matthews is out. Should be interesting once he comes back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->