Confirmed Trade: [MTL/TOR] Plekanec (50%), Baun for Valiev, Rychel, 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
I'm loving the return lololll. We ripped the leafs off. Valiev is impressive. He can be a 4/5 in like a year or 2. Plus a second.... thanks a lot!!

No, we definitely didn't rip them off. Valiev is not impressive and the sad state of our blueline would be the only reason he cracks it in a few years. But the 2nd is good value for Pleks. I think it was good for us and pretty good for the Leafs but that concept is foreign to most of the mouthbreathers on HFB.

Reactions: FishManSam and Edgy

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
Is his defensive game actually any good? People have been saying he's good defensively but unless that translates into taking dumb penalties, he didn't show it last night.

Always thought he was a mediocre scrub in Montreal and I don't think he'll change my mind.

It's almost like one (or even a few) games isn't enough to judge a player. Herp derp.

Feb 24, 2017
No, we definitely didn't rip them off. Valiev is not impressive and the sad state of our blueline would be the only reason he cracks it in a few years. But the 2nd is good value for Pleks. I think it was good for us and pretty good for the Leafs but that concept is foreign to most of the mouthbreathers on HFB.
Mouth breathers to me implies more like caveman mentality, old school, “eye test” proponents.

Around here? More like wheezy, inhaler clutching stat dorks.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Mouth breathers to me implies more like caveman mentality, old school, “eye test” proponents.

Around here? More like wheezy, inhaler clutching stat dorks.
Hopefully, there are still a few of us cavemen around who don't trust the Emperor's New Clothes that are advanced stats.

To understand why, I'll mention just one name: Franson... :nopity:

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
pleks should have never returned a 2nd

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
I think people are forgetting to factor in the prices paid during this trade deadline. Vanek cost VGK a 1,2,3 rounder, yes they are all in different years but the fact remains that prices this year were very inflated. So the 2nd rounder given up for a quality defensive center is not absurd. Two low to middling prospects is the price we had to pay for dealing with our biggest rival.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I think Plekanec will help most during the playoffs. He plays well in a shutdown role. Don’t expect much from him offensively, but this is a good deal for both teams imo.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I mean you should give him more time, but I personally wouldn't have given up a 2nd for him.
He is not worth the 2nd, Leafs have said this themselves. They would have paid less, but the reason they gave the 2nd is because they retained 50% on Pleks. Makes sense. It gave Lou some flexibility to make an add on TD day, however that didn't end up working out but that's the whole reason they paid the 2nd. They wanted cap flexibility.

Two middling prospects who will never make the Leafs due to our team. Maybe in Montreal they will get a decent shot and could become good players. Chances are very low, but there is always a chance. Good deal for both teams. Pleks provides flexibility throughout the lineup and can draw in on any position. It's a great tool for Babcock to have for the playoffs, + he has a lot of experience playing against the Bruins, who are looking like our 1st rd match up. Sometimes you gotta pay for something good that you see can help. You can't rip off a GM every time :laugh:

bryan1966

Time for some fast & skilled hockey!
Nov 24, 2011
New Hampshire
I think people are forgetting to factor in the prices paid during this trade deadline. Vanek cost VGK a 1,2,3 rounder, yes they are all in different years but the fact remains that prices this year were very inflated. So the 2nd rounder given up for a quality defensive center is not absurd. Two low to middling prospects is the price we had to pay for dealing with our biggest rival.

Vegas paid that for Tatar who is a much better player signed for a few years and only 27 years old and not for Vanek.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
So what does that say about the rest of the team on the Habs including Drouin, Chuck if Pleks is washed up offensively?...because Pleks actually leads the Habs in even strength points and gets zero PP time...despite regularly facing top lines on a pretty regular basis at ES. Comparatively, we're using him in a 4th line role, it's night and day.
It says we're playing our center as a winger, our winger as a center because our GM and coach are idiots. It says we buried Glachenyuk on the 4th line for about a third of the season because that's how Claude teaches "defensive responsibility". It says our GM traded good assets and couldn't get a first line center back, despite claiming that that's the only way to get it done.

It basically says we're being coached and managed by a clown and his sidekick.

If that makes you feel better I guess, the only prize here is a very late 2nd and Timmins doesn't exactly instill confidence with it.
Timmins isn't bad from the 2nd round onward really, it's the first that usually busts for some reason.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
1) It was Tatar they traded for.
2) The third rounder isn't even in this decade
3) Tatar is a rental, he's signed for another 3 years.
4) I like the Plek deal

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
•Valiev is solid, but also requested a trade, per Lavoie
•Rychel, who was once highly touted, has no (or a very minimal) NHL future
•Sure, the 2nd hurts, but we have another this year, plus it was probably necessary to put our offer above others

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I mean if a 2nd round pick for a 4th liner is highway robbery, that is some very small minded thinking. WE have another 2nd, we have better prospects on the marlies than rychel on wing and better prospects on d in the marlies than Valiev. We pretty much gave them away as a favour to them, let them go to a shitty team where they might make it one day. They sure as hell had no chance at the leafs. 2nd is high but it was 50% retained no big deal.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
well thats our gm for ya. trades a 2nd for a 4th liner and trades 2 4th liners for a 4th and a 7th in future years

He's not really a 4th liner. Maybe in your team because of your excellent C depth but ideally he's a shutdown 3rd line C. Give him some time, he's reliable, smart, a good skater and has a terrific work ethic. Just zero offensive touch and that's really the only area of the game where he's washed up.

Reactions: dukeofjive

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
He's not really a 4th liner. Maybe in your team because of your excellent C depth but ideally he's a shutdown 3rd line C. Give him some time, he's reliable, smart, a good skater and has a terrific work ethic. Just zero offensive touch and that's really the only area of the game where he's washed up.
yah hope to god he isn't a liability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad