Confirmed with Link: [MTL/COL] Habs acquire Andreas Martinsen for Sven Andrighetto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
And yet Byron and Gallagher are in the top 6. Even the most, let's call them OPTIMISTIC, would have NEVER believed that Byron would be a top 6 player. Nobody. And yet, here he is.

But somehow, Ghetto, WE KNOW FOR A FACT, can not play in a top 6. Just wondering.....nobody would have love to see what Ghetto could have done on a line with Galchenyuk? And maybe add Shaw or Lehkonen for the defensive purposes of the line?

We will see how Martinsen will change the face of this 4th line. But chances are you could have acquired a Martinsen for a 5th round pick. And you would not have seen the difference. But we will see....maybe he'll show how great a playoff performer he is.

Byron started as a healthy scratch here and worked his way into the top 6. Gallagher played on the third line for a year before moving up to the top 6 in his second year.

Andrighetto had a shot at the 2nd or 3rd line LW to start the year and had a brutal camp, a guy like Byron who had his spot locked up given he just got a 3 year deal didn't take a shift off and worked his ass every game in pre-season.

Ghetto had the talent to put up points in top 6, but he never showed he was deserving of an opportunity to play there for an extended period of time. He'd have the odd games where he'd be using his speed and would be effective, then he'd go back to being completely ineffective and useless on the ice.

I don't see why Ghetto should've just been given a top 6 role after guys like Gallagher, Byron, Danault, Lehkonen and even a 3rd overall pick in Galchenyuk have spent time in the bottom six and had to earn their ice time here.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And yet Byron and Gallagher are in the top 6. Even the most, let's call them OPTIMISTIC, would have NEVER believed that Byron would be a top 6 player. Nobody. And yet, here he is.

But somehow, Ghetto, WE KNOW FOR A FACT, can not play in a top 6. Just wondering.....nobody would have love to see what Ghetto could have done on a line with Galchenyuk? And maybe add Shaw or Lehkonen for the defensive purposes of the line?

We will see how Martinsen will change the face of this 4th line. But chances are you could have acquired a Martinsen for a 5th round pick. And you would not have seen the difference. But we will see....maybe he'll show how great a playoff performer he is.

Except Ghetto was given his chance. Comparing him to Byron and Gallagher is not a great comparison. Byron and Gallahger play a two way game and work every shift. Ghetto is strictly a fringe top 6 offensive guy on a team at the bottom of the standings. And he gets pushed around along the boards. The truth on him is out... he is what he is. He's going to acquire points but the Habs had no room for him and needed to add toughness.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
You were also under the assumption that Rafael Diaz would become a top four dman and that dale weise would suck, Jiri Sekac would become a top six forward and DSP as well.

And none of those came true.

Don't think I ever argued DSP was a future top six forward... More that Matteau was useless whereas DSP could have helped the team. I still believe that.

Always thought Sekac had more to offer... Would still take him back in Montréal in a heartbeat based on what he showed in his last stay. Others teams gave up on him quickly, which might mean there were other issues away from the public eye, but as far as his on ice performance, I'd have him comfortably ahead quite a few of our current party mix of grinders.

Main issue I had with the Diaz trade was its timing. He was doing good for us at the time of the deal, and our depth on defense wasn't exactly great. Don't remember claiming he would be a top 4 defenseman, but he had shown some good things in his relatively short stay in Montréal. Weise ended up surprising more than a few... But how much of that was due to the fact Therrien used him in a top 6 role when he could, oh, I don't know, develop some young players in scoring roles instead, like, *cough*, Andrighetto.

Weise went back to being mostly irrelevant after leaving Montréal and finding himself back in his usual role. But I'll concede that the Diaz for Weise trade ended up in our favor in hindsight, based on the usage Therrien made out of him and the fact Weise ended up traded for Danault. There's a silver lining wherever you want to see one.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
This! People can fight it all they want but this is the truth. I think some are just looking for reasons to criticize MB at every move.

Based on what? He was tested over and over again over a period of 2 years? Or he was put in with 20 games playing alongside Plekanec who kills talent for supper? That's how you and some others know that he will NEVER be good enough for a playoff team?

You guys are really evaluating Andrighetto based on his time with freakin Plekanec?

Again, answer this....if the AVS want to make the playoffs, are you telling me that they should waive him?

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Except Ghetto was given his chance. Comparing him to Byron and Gallagher is not a great comparison. Byron and Gallahger play a two way game and work every shift. Ghetto is strictly a fringe top 6 offensive guy on a team at the bottom of the standings. And he gets pushed around along the boards. The truth on him is out... he is what he is. He's going to acquire points but the Habs had no room for him and needed to add toughness.

So.....Galchenyuk is not a top 6 player 'cause he is not a 2-way player and does not work hard every shift?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So.....Galchenyuk is not a top 6 player 'cause he is not a 2-way player and does not work hard every shift?

Bad example dude. Galchenyuk does not belong in the same sentence than Ghetto. You know this is true.

Ghetto is not a huge loss. He's got speed and has some skills. He will get his ice time with the Avs. However, there is a difference between the Habs and Avs. Habs needed toughness. Simple as that.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I don't see why Ghetto should've just been given a top 6 role after guys like Gallagher, Byron, Danault, Lehkonen and even a 3rd overall pick in Galchenyuk have spent time in the bottom six and had to earn their ice time here.

Because giving time to players is how you build somebody's confidence. You have to recognize players potential and then if it takes more time for some, you give it unless your team keeps losing because of it.

It's incredible how Ghetto goes from not working hard (this is so out of the line comment....this kid works his butt off on and off the ice) and poor defensively, and suddenly transforms himself in Colorado. Yeah, I know, they were a terrible team hence he had all the occasions to shine. Yet, how bad they are as NOTHING to do with how good he showed to be defensively. Instincts do not magically appear because you are a losing team and dissapear on a winning team.

Mind you, I am not saying Ghetto is a PPG player. You could MOST DEFINATELY argue that he will never sustain in a full year the rhythm he showed at the end. But to go from this and to say how he is just NO GOOD and not a playoff team player is ludicrous. 'Cause all this is mostly based on his few games....most of them with Plekanec.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Because giving time to players is how you build somebody's confidence. You have to recognize players potential and then if it takes more time for some, you give it unless your team keeps losing because of it.

It's incredible how Ghetto goes from not working hard (this is so out of the line comment....this kid works his butt off on and off the ice) and poor defensively, and suddenly transforms himself in Colorado. Yeah, I know, they were a terrible team hence he had all the occasions to shine. Yet, how bad they are as NOTHING to do with how good he showed to be defensively. Instincts do not magically appear because you are a losing team and dissapear on a winning team.

Mind you, I am not saying Ghetto is a PPG player. You could MOST DEFINATELY argue that he will never sustain in a full year the rhythm he showed at the end. But to go from this and to say how he is just NO GOOD and not a playoff team player is ludicrous. 'Cause all this is mostly based on his few games....most of them with Plekanec.

Top 10 teams don't give top 6 minutes to players like Ghetto. Expecially when our top 9 guys are Patch, Radulov, Byron, Gallagher, Pleky, Shaw, Lekhonen, Galchenyuk, Danault. Who does Ghetto replace?

Go back and watch the games from January and February closely... We struggled because we weren't winning puck battles and lacked grit. Your not getting this with Ghetto in your top 6 or top 9!

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Based on what? He was tested over and over again over a period of 2 years? Or he was put in with 20 games playing alongside Plekanec who kills talent for supper? That's how you and some others know that he will NEVER be good enough for a playoff team?

Again, answer this....if the AVS want to make the playoffs, are you telling me that they should waive him?

Don't ask for evidence or facts, they will never come.

When you look at his scoring log in Colorado, he played on a line with Mackinnon and Rantanen. So the excuses will be that the Avs had nothing to play for, but sure seems nice to get top line minutes when your team is very thin in top6 forwards. Funny how that sounds awfully familiar to the Habs having a very thin top6, yet Ghetto played most minutes with Plekanec at center and Shaw or Lehkonen on the wings. His most offensive line was with Shaw and Galchenyuk, 22 minutes with those two. 310 minutes and he gets no offensive lines to actually produce with. That is indicative that he can't play on a playoff team...

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
good production for Ghetto. I liked his play before we traded him. Probably could've gotten a bit better value.

Let's wait and see. Besides PK MB's almost never given up anyone who's went on to do anything substantial. I thought for sure he did with Sekac. DSP was pretty hot with the Devils for awhile.

Points in meaningless games with a bottom team isn't exactly something to get to miffed about but we'll see. He could be a guy who just needed some more time. Not really losing sleep over this. We have so many players like him and we needed some size. He wasn't good enough to usurp anyone in the top 9 and he's not a guy you want on the 4th. Would've likely lost him for nothing on waivers next year.

I haven't seen enough of Martinsen but it's likely we didn't get great value for Ghetto. AM could be a guy who does well in the playoffs. Size and speed. I'll wait and see on this one.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Bad example dude. Galchenyuk does not belong in the same sentence than Ghetto. You know this is true.

Ghetto is not a huge loss. He's got speed and has some skills. He will get his ice time with the Avs. However, there is a difference between the Habs and Avs. Habs needed toughness. Simple as that.

Enough with this toughness excuse. You got toughness with Ott. You got experience with King. What did you give? They didn't trade Andrighetto because they needed toughness. They traded Ghetto because they didn' tbelieve in him. 'Cause if they did, they would have acquired Martinsen for a 4th round or 5th round pick. Are you saying that AVS would not have traded Martinsen and that it only came to us because we offered Ghetto? Come on man....

It's incredible really. If we would have gotten that kind of player, (speedy and skilled) YOU and the ones who keeps defending Bergie's every move would have been drooling over this. Imagine if he would have had half of his production he had with the AVS....you would have called for another 5-year extension....

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Top 10 teams don't give top 6 minutes to players like Ghetto. Expecially when our top 9 guys are Patch, Radulov, Byron, Gallagher, Pleky, Shaw, Lekhonen, Galchenyuk, Danault. Who does Ghetto replace?

Go back and watch the games from January and February closely... We struggled because we weren't winning puck battles and lacked grit. Your not getting this with Ghetto in your top 6 or top 9!

To start the season? Byron, Shaw, Danault.

During the season Gallagher, Pleky, Shaw.

Church

The last lion
Mar 26, 2010
Montreal, QC
Remember DSP? Yah. Good for Ghetto, he deserves his chances and I wish him the best. But truth is he just didn't workout here.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Ghetto replaces Gallagher or Byron. This team lacks skills and talent. No matter the 2-way you are talking about, there is NO WAY that you thought Byron would be a top 6 material. It has nothing to do with how he plays. As how it plays was seen to be PERFECT.....for a 3rd or 4th line. But NOT for a 2nd line.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

You guys are really evaluating Andrighetto based on his time with freakin Plekanec?

You think a team like Chicago, Anaheim or Washington would have Andrighetto in their top 6? What a joke. He isn't special enough at anything to be a decent top 6 player. He's fast but not that fast, he's got offensive talent but not that much, and he's small and not physical.

Montreal doesn't develop its players properly, I keep hearing this. What about Lehkonen? Byron? Danault? THese guys were all in the same position as Sven at the beginning of the season and they've all earned top 6 time.

Andrighetto passed through waivers in September and would likely pass through again. We'll revisit this next year, if I'm wrong so be it - but I tell you this - MB has been proven to make wise roster choices more often than not.

We cry about Sekac
We cry about DSP
We cry about Diaz
We cry about Pateryn
We cry about Andrighetto

All junk players.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Remember DSP? Yah. Good for Ghetto, he deserves his chances and I wish him the best. But truth is he just didn't workout here.

2 different beasts. We got fooled by DSP but he has neither the speed nor the skills to keep it going. And he didn't. So yeah, I guess we'll see for Ghetto over 1 full year. But he has what it takes to be more than DSP. What remains to be seen if he'll be able to continue to commit himself defensively. That it's his biggest challenge.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Where does ghetto fit on this team? He isn't better than our top 9 wingers. He would have been a 4th liner here but they want a big heavy 4th line. Once Byron and Lehkonen stepped up his career here and probably Hudon's too had no future. He had to clear waivers and they decided to get something that they feel fit better with what they want on a 4th line.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Enough with this toughness excuse. You got toughness with Ott. You got experience with King. What did you give? They didn't trade Andrighetto because they needed toughness. They traded Ghetto because they didn' tbelieve in him. 'Cause if they did, they would have acquired Martinsen for a 4th round or 5th round pick. Are you saying that AVS would not have traded Martinsen and that it only came to us because we offered Ghetto? Come on man....

It's incredible really. If we would have gotten that kind of player, (speedy and skilled) YOU and the ones who keeps defending Bergie's every move would have been drooling over this. Imagine if he would have had half of his production he had with the AVS....you would have called for another 5-year extension....

Stop exaggerating. It doesn't help your case. It was time to move on from Ghetto. Organization has class... they moved him to the Avs to give him a chance to play in the NHL (no room for him on the Habs) and he didn't fit into the future plans for the Habs. We traded Ghetto for a rental who will help us in the Playoffs.

Toughness excuse? Your crazy dude! Not every response is a excuse. Everybody knows the Habs needed more toughness. I was stating this before the trade deadline and it was addressed by MB! King, Ott, and Martinsen are great guys to have on our playoff roster!

I think you need to stop with your excuses to hate every move MB makes.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Where does ghetto fit on this team? He isn't better than our top 9 wingers. He would have been a 4th liner here but they want a big heavy 4th line. Once Byron and Lehkonen stepped up his career here and probably Hudon's too had no future. He had to clear waivers and they decided to get something that they feel fit better with what they want on a 4th line.

Or you keep him, don't acquire King, and trade Gallagher for something more than King and Martinsen reunited. But for that to happen, you give a REAL shot at Ghetto alongside Galchenyuk to see what he can give. Funny story, everytime Ghetto had more icetime, he produced. Even with us. The playoff team.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
2 different beasts. We got fooled by DSP but he has neither the speed nor the skills to keep it going. And he didn't. So yeah, I guess we'll see for Ghetto over 1 full year. But he has what it takes to be more than DSP. What remains to be seen if he'll be able to continue to commit himself defensively. That it's his biggest challenge.

No, "we" didn't get fooled by DSP. Some of us could see that he was nothing special at all.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Stop exaggerating. It doesn't help your case. It was time to move on from Ghetto. Organization has class... they moved him to the Avs to give him a chance to play in the NHL (no room for him on the Habs) and he didn't fit into the future plans for the Habs. We traded Ghetto for a rental who will help us in the Playoffs.

Toughness excuse? Your crazy dude! Not every response is a excuse. Everybody knows the Habs needed more toughness. I was stating this before the trade deadline and it was addressed by MB! King, Ott, and Martinsen are great guys to have on our playoff roster!

Exaggeration? Which part? The part that Bergie can do no wrong? Which other part? And again...do you not understand on purpose? I'M not saying that acquiring toughness was not needed. I'm saying that if you believed in a kid, you would NOT have given up on him to acquire such toughess. As Martinsen had NO value.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

The bottom line needed to get bigger. It was a need. More easily addressed than the others.

It's really as simple as we have a lot of players like him that are better and he blew his chance at the beginning of the year. Played well later in the year but still not enough to usurp anyone from the top 9. Few guys I think we mishandled but not Ghetto.

There is a chance he can be a complimentary winger on a top 6/9 but likely not on a top team. If the team had a different make up than he could've possibly worked out here.

There's also a chance we didn't get great value for him but really his value right now wouldn't get us much more.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
No, "we" didn't get fooled by DSP. Some of us could see that he was nothing special at all.

Actually, when we acquired DSP, you thought he was a power forward in the making. I guess you stopped believing that the day he was traded, but maybe a few others thought he still could bring it.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

And it would be doubtful that he would ever get the chances he is getting with the Avs here. From Therrien to Julien it was clear that Andrighetto needed a fresh start and I'm happy he's getting it.

What makes it tough to hope that he does well is the number of posters that are constantly making Andrighetto's performance into something more than it is. He's a young player that simply didn't get it done here. Is it great that he was scoring for the Avs? Yes it is but there's little to suggest that he would have found his game like that if he stayed.

While some people are denying that the Andrighetto situation is like DSP there are a lot of similarities and untìl next season when there's a bigger sample size the fact is both players got hot when their new team's season was over. This obbession over Andrighetto is also like Sekac in terms of bringing up specific stats and offensive potential to fit a certain narrative. Andrighetto was a offensive prospect that wasn't helping the team and was moved for someone who can fit a role the team needed. It's simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad