Confirmed with Link: [MTL/COL] Habs acquire Andreas Martinsen for Sven Andrighetto

Status
Not open for further replies.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
How long does it take before that rhetoric changes if Andrighetto keeps going on next season, I wonder.

And if it doesn't continue next season, how quickly will you say the issue is that he is no longer being used the top line as the excuse for the production fading all the while ignoring the reason he's not being used on the top line because a lousy team was able to upgrade their forwards?

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
And if it doesn't continue next season, how quickly will you say the issue is that he is no longer being used the top line as the excuse for the production fading all the while ignoring the reason he's not being used on the top line because a lousy team was able to upgrade their forwards?

If he doesn't produce in spite of top 6 ice time, I'll admit I'm wrong. But here's the thing, I've been saying the same thing for years, and Andrighetto's current production has actually only developed according to the production he had even on the Habs, based on the role he was being used in.

As for him taking advantage of the fact he's playing on a poor team, his production since being trade is actually better than anyone else's, both the Habs and Avs included.

So clearly, it's not about being a lousy player on an even lousier team. He's outproducing, quite literally, everyone else on said team so far. And he certainly could have helped a team struggling to score goals for most of the season.

By your logic, how come Byron turned into a great player for us after being a waiver pick-up from a team that wasn't even in the playoffs then? How come a guy that could barely make it on the 4th line of the Hawks now happens to pivot our 1st line? Are we that "lousy"? Or is it that sometimes, in a given environment, some opportunities may present themselves that may not have been a possibility under different circumstances. What I'm seeing in Andrighetto is guy that's seizing the opportunity he has been denied all those years in Montréal. Simple as that.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
If Danault made Eller expendable then Lehkonen made Andrighetto expendable.

We have Radulov, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Shaw, Galchenyuk, Byron and Lehkonen who can all play top-9 wingers.
We also have Hudon in the pipeline. And Scherback maybe ready next season.
That is 8-9 wingers (enough for four lines).

Assuming Shaw or Galchenyuk play center, we still have 7 wingers who can play top-9.
We need 6 of them.

At this point, I prefer Lehkonen to Andrighetto.

Better defense, score .39 ppg at 21 (Andrighetto did the same at 22 years old). Also we still have two years of ELC and Ghetto is going to be RFA.

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
Remember Desharnais scoring 60? No expectations. Season over. Teams not taking them seriously.

I wish ghetto the best but it will take a bigger sample to avoid the DSP effect.

Yeah I agree with this, throw in the fact that the Avs were basically playing a free wheeling system most of the season, no real pressure or any expectations for sound defensive play...nothing to play for + teams taking them lightly at the end of the season...

Hey good for him if he continues the production, but he was redundant in our team.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
If he doesn't produce in spite of top 6 ice time, I'll admit I'm wrong. But here's the thing, I've been saying the same thing for years, and Andrighetto's current production has actually only developed according to the production he had even on the Habs, based on the role he was being used in.

As for him taking advantage of the fact he's playing on a poor team, his production since being trade is actually better than anyone else's, both the Habs and Avs included.

So clearly, it's not about being a lousy player on an even lousier team. He's outproducing, quite literally, everyone else on said team so far. And he certainly could have helped a team struggling to score goals for most of the season.

By your logic, how come Byron turned into a great player for us after being a waiver pick-up from a team that wasn't even in the playoffs then? How come a guy that could barely make it on the 4th line of the Hawks now happens to pivot our 1st line? Are we that "lousy"? Or is it that sometimes, in a given environment, some opportunities may present themselves that may not have been a possibility under different circumstances. What I'm seeing in Andrighetto is guy that's seizing the opportunity he has been denied all those years in Montréal. Simple as that.

You were also under the assumption that Rafael Diaz would become a top four dman and that dale weise would suck, Jiri Sekac would become a top six forward and DSP as well.

And none of those came true.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How long does it take before that rhetoric changes if Andrighetto keeps going on next season, I wonder.

I think Ghetto will be great in Colorado. Plenty of top 6 minutes and he will be let loose playing on a bottom 5 team in the NHL. The issue with Ghetto in Montreal is the Habs can use a little less small forwards.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I think Ghetto will be great in Colorado. Plenty of top 6 minutes and he will be let loose playing on a bottom 5 team in the NHL. The issue with Ghetto in Montreal is the Habs can use a little less small forwards.

Martinsen sucks. What are we supposed to use him for? Besides sucking at hockey?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Toughness, grit, and depth. Habs need it. Ghetto has no place on our roster. It's not the Habs fault or Ghetto's fault. Time to move on from it. You want Ghetto to take Lehkonen's spot?

No, I would want Andrighetto to take Martinsen's spot. Because Martinsen sucks. What? You want guys who suck at hockey on our team?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Martinsen sucks. What are we supposed to use him for? Besides sucking at hockey?

He improves our puck retrieval big time on the bottom lines, size will do that. There is a need for both types of players, but when you pull a MB and go with a team of smurfs, you have to sacrifice the smaller player at trade deadline.

I think Martinsen will be very noticeable and valuable in the playoffs, you need players like that to make the Rangers look over their shoulders in the defensive and offensive zones, plus he is not slow. King I'm not so sure of.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No, I would want Andrighetto to take Martinsen's spot. Because Martinsen sucks. What? You want guys who suck at hockey on our team?

NO! Ghetto has no spot on the bottom 6. And is not good enough to make the top 6 on the Habs. Simple as that. I was a Ghetto fan but I do understand why we moved on from him.

Martinsen provides much needed grit and toughness and that's what you need in the playoffs. I like this roster compared to other playoff teams in the last 4 or 5 years. We are well balanced but still lack that true #1C though

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He improves our puck retrieval big time on the bottom lines, size will do that. There is a need for both types of players, but when you pull a MB and go with a team of smurfs, you have to sacrifice the smaller player at trade deadline.

I think Martinsen will be very noticeable and valuable in the playoffs, you need players like that to make the Rangers look over their shoulders in the defensive and offensive zones, plus he is not slow. King I'm not so sure of.

Martinsen looks a lot better than he is. In his first game he looked like a really useful player. He's just not a very good player. Too little ability.

I agree with you that King sucks more. King's terrible.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
NO! Ghetto has no spot on the bottom 6. And is not good enough to make the top 6 on the Habs. Simple as that. I was a Ghetto fan but I do understand why we moved on from him.

Martinsen provides much needed grit and toughness and that's what you need in the playoffs. I like this roster compared to other playoff teams in the last 4 or 5 years. We are well balanced but still lack that true #1C though

Huh. I had no idea we need terrible players to be successful in the playoffs.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
I love Martinsen. He's a monster along the board and such an underrated player. He is exactly what I wanted Bergevin to add. Big fast and strong winger.

I hope he'll stay with Habs for many years.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The Habs have had a history of placing a great puckhandling superstar(Guy Lafleur) on a line with defensive players.(Bob Gainey for one.) Of course Lafleur was often playing double duties PP & PK as well, the Habs were even greater in those playoff games, believe Dat.(Scotty Bowman's tactic paid off, it's history now great history as I can attest.) Steve Ott(C) will win his share of faceoffs, Andreas will most likely score his 1st Habs goal as a recipient of one of Alex Galchenyuk's deceptive passes. His Norwegian relatives & countrymen will be watching his & the Habs play against NYR's with delight I'm sure.

Martinson's hitting game will certainly provide room for Galchenyuk, to perform his magic, creating scoring from every line.(Incredible Balance as Bergevin alluded to what the Habs needed when taking the Habs GM job 5yrs. ago.) Coach Julien knows exactly where to place his players & with whom to get the type of balance, that will create poor equilibrium for the NYR's.(Martinson's hitting will help immensely in this regard, IMHO.)

Go Habs Go!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Good post! :nod:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
We have more use for a big body than a useless small top 6 only player like ghetto.

Bad players can get points on bad teams. Look at PAP last year for the leafs.

Bad players are bad because they're bad. Any evidence which contradicts their badness, such as offensive production, should be disregarded because they're bad.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

And yet Byron and Gallagher are in the top 6. Even the most, let's call them OPTIMISTIC, would have NEVER believed that Byron would be a top 6 player. Nobody. And yet, here he is.

But somehow, Ghetto, WE KNOW FOR A FACT, can not play in a top 6. Just wondering.....nobody would have love to see what Ghetto could have done on a line with Galchenyuk? And maybe add Shaw or Lehkonen for the defensive purposes of the line?

We will see how Martinsen will change the face of this 4th line. But chances are you could have acquired a Martinsen for a 5th round pick. And you would not have seen the difference. But we will see....maybe he'll show how great a playoff performer he is.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
He's not bad, he's just not good enough to be a roster player on a playoff team

Based on what? You already know that this guy will never be good enough to play on a playoff team? So, the Avs, who has seen it do so well when paired with top players should just waive him because in the end, he will stop them from making the playoffs?

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
He's not bad, he's just not good enough to be a roster player on a playoff team

Byron was a waiver pick up from a non playoff team, what does that make him?

Pointless argument if I've ever seen one. Andrighetto, producing at the rate he's been producing at in Colorado, would have been our most productive forward since the trade.

But he's not good enough for a playoff team? Is generating offense somehow something only non playoffs teams should trouble themselves with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad