Confirmed with Link: [MTL/COL] Habs acquire Andreas Martinsen for Sven Andrighetto

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
A potential career saving trade for Ghetto, he moves to a 45 point team that is basically playing out the schedule and no pressure. DSP lit it up when he left here as well, time will tell if Ghetto can build on this and hit training camp on fire and make a career for himself.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Too early to tell how he will turn out. It seems like assessments on both sides claiming the habs sucked or that he's another DSP is mostly wishful thinking.

I've always liked Andrighetto, he has some interesting tools. I hope he does well solely for the fact that I'd like to think Timmins is doing good work for the Habs.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Ghetto was another small forward and he needed to put up numbers to stay in the top 6. This is why he was traded. Average player on a bottom 5 team in the the league but a below average player on a top 10 team. Simple as that.

It's not at all "simple as that". No one knows how it will play out in either direction. Paul Byron didn't score 20 goals until he was 27.

Andrighetto has been productive at all levels and hasn't had much nhl experience to determine where he will end up.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
I'll repeat what I said earlier for those saying Andrighetto needs to be in the top 6 to produce and that we had no place for him.

I'm not upset that we traded Andrighetto but I would have prefered a draft pick in return over a 26 years old 4th liner with no upside.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I'll repeat what I said earlier for those saying Andrighetto needs to be in the top 6 to produce and that we had no place for him.

I'm not upset that we traded Andrighetto but I would have prefered a draft pick in return over a 26 years old 4th liner with no upside.

Who doesn't need to play on a top 6 in order to produce regularly? Of course he needs quality minutes and linemates, especially if the expectation for him to "warrant" a place in the line-up is to produce line a top 6 player in the first place.

Don't you see your own circular logic here?

And if Andrighetto actually manages to produce at a top 6 rate, then that doesn't make him expendable, at all. Because as it stands, we have exactly three guys producing at a top 6 rate. Four if you'd go as far as including Byron as part of the top 6.

There's plenty of room for a top 6 winger in Montréal. We need all the help we can get up front.

And another fun fact... As I said countless times, I've actually pulled the stats, but no one seems to acknowledge the fact Andrighetto actually produced at a top 6 rate in Montréal in games where he played over 13 minutes, and that was with limited PP time on top of it. 13 minutes isn't top 6 minutes.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia

This is an assumption that the Habs could have received a draft pick for him. He went through waivers already.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Who doesn't need to play on a top 6 in order to produce regularly? Of course he needs quality minutes and linemates, especially if the expectation for him to "warrant" a place in the line-up is to produce line a top 6 player in the first place.

Don't you see your own circular logic here?

And if Andrighetto actually manages to produce at a top 6 rate, then that doesn't make him expendable, at all. Because as it stands, we have exactly three guys producing at a top 6 rate. Four if you'd go as far as including Byron as part of the top 6.

There's plenty of room for a top 6 winger in Montréal. We need all the help we can get up front.

And another fun fact... As I said countless times, I've actually pulled the stats, but no one seems to acknowledge the fact Andrighetto actually produced at a top 6 rate in Montréal in games where he played over 13 minutes, and that was with limited PP time on top of it. 13 minutes isn't top 6 minutes.

I have a similar opinion. I just feel that if the management felt that he was expendable I would have at least get something other than a 26 years old 4th liner.

It's a bit like the Tinordi deal where we trade him for John Scott. A pick would have been so much better.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Habs are literally saved if he becomes a reg 22-25 goal scorer. we have nothing in the pipeline at forward with any offence, maybe Scherbak but who knows...

Maybe Hudon. Maybe Ghetto. Oh wait we gave up on him prematurely, even though we're in dire need of offense.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Maybe Hudon. Maybe Ghetto. Oh wait we gave up on him prematurely, even though we're in dire need of offense.

If we want a guy like Martinsen to play on our 4th line who can hit like a truck MB had to give someone up........Im just glad it was Ghetto and not Lehkonen.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
If we want a guy like Martinsen to play on our 4th line who can hit like a truck MB had to give someone up........Im just glad it was Ghetto and not Lehkonen.

You truly believe Martinsen was that coveted? 26 years old UFA to be, 117 games in the NHL, averaging 2.7 hits per game (that's top30 in the NHL over the last 2 seasons).

Ghetto was traded because the habs didn't think he was going to turn into anything and was just an extra contract. I think the Habs could have had Martinsen for a conditional pick.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
You truly believe Martinsen was that coveted? 26 years old UFA to be, 117 games in the NHL, averaging 2.7 hits per game (that's top30 in the NHL over the last 2 seasons).

Ghetto was traded because the habs didn't think he was going to turn into anything and was just an extra contract. I think the Habs could have had Martinsen for a conditional pick.

He wasn't coveted........he was brought in to shut all the whiners up that the team is too small..........period.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
He wasn't coveted........he was brought in to shut all the whiners up that the team is too small..........period.

Only ignorant fans talk about size. The Penguins are small, about 20th in the NHL in height and 27th in weight. Chicago is 28 and 29.

If you can't acquire talent, you look to get size. Martisen doesn't even have a place in the lineup when everyone is healthy.

So for you to insinuate that Lehkonen could have been traded for Martisen is completely false.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Only ignorant fans talk about size. The Penguins are small, about 20th in the NHL in height and 27th in weight. Chicago is 28 and 29.

If you can't acquire talent, you look to get size. Martisen doesn't even have a place in the lineup when everyone is healthy.

So for you to insinuate that Lehkonen could have been traded for Martisen is completely false.

Thanks for clearing that up....haha

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I never said anything about small though. Rakell and Wennberg's game is all about speed and skill.

But yes I'll agree Teravainen and Ghetto are not too far apart. I just think Teravainen has the acceleration that can separate him from defenders. Ghetto has good speed but lacks the explosiveness.

Bottom line, we never should have given up Ghetto to get Martinsen. We could have gotten him for another player. Ghetto was playing well and showing signs that he still had a top six ceiling that would have been worth waiting to see if he could achieve.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Bottom line, we never should have given up Ghetto to get Martinsen. We could have gotten him for another player. Ghetto was playing well and showing signs that he still had a top six ceiling that would have been worth waiting to see if he could achieve.

Ghetto sucks and there was no room for him. Turfing him was the right move.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Ghetto sucks and there was no room for him. Turfing him was the right move.

15 points in 19 games playing on the top 6 in Colorado. He could have done that for us.

He doesn't suck. He was never given the opportunity to show his talent in Montréal is more like it.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
15 points in 19 games playing on the top 6 in Colorado. He could have done that for us.

He doesn't suck. He was never given the opportunity to show his talent in Montréal is more like it.

Remember Desharnais scoring 60? No expectations. Season over. Teams not taking them seriously.

I wish ghetto the best but it will take a bigger sample to avoid the DSP effect.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Remember Desharnais scoring 60? No expectations. Season over. Teams not taking them seriously.

I wish ghetto the best but it will take a bigger sample to avoid the DSP effect.

We will definitely need a better sample to see what type of player he turns out to be. But I believed there was talent there BEFORE the trade and the numbers he put up. He has talent, can skate, and is hungry on the forecheck. And I always disliked DSP's game: not enough talent there.

Time will tell for Ghetto. I just don't think it was a good move giving up on him, especially when there was no need to give him up to get Martinsen.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

I've said it many times, and I'll say it again, but this has absolutely nothing to do with how DSP played after traded, and even less so with Desharnais back in 2012. For the record, had Desharnais put in as much effort as he used to in his debut, he'd probably still be a member of the Habs. He was good in 11-12, even though he had the benefit of playing with our two best forwards.

I've been seeing and saying the same thing about Ghetto for years. The talent is there. When you don't even give the chance to a player to show what he's made off, you end up with the kind of situation we're in right now.

As long as Colorado keeps Andrighetto in a scoring role next season, he'll produce. Expect around 50 points, perhaps even more. He has all the assets needed to produce consistently in the NHL.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

I would caution putting any stock in how a guy plays in games that don't matter against teams that don't care about the lowly Avalanche.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with trading Sven for a player with more size and more bite.

Both of them are depth guys of little consequence to the big picture.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
People flipping out about losing Andrighetto remind me of the people who flipped out about losing D'Agostini. They are both scrubs who clearly have no viable NHL future.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
People flipping out about losing Andrighetto remind me of the people who flipped out about losing D'Agostini. They are both scrubs who clearly have no viable NHL future.

How long does it take before that rhetoric changes if Andrighetto keeps going on next season, I wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad