Montreal is the worst team in the league.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Why are these posts accepted on HF?
Because we allow jokes, especially ones with some precedent behind them.

Yes, most of us know there are plenty of non-Francophone players and staff on Montreal but if there was a team in the league that cares if a player/staff member is capable of speaking the French language, it's Montreal.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Why is it accepted in Quebec that it is okay for pundits and politicians to whine like *****es and incite public protests and boycotts when the Habs hire non-Francophones into positions of importance?

HanSolo would probably consider this a joke, I dunno.

At best it's ignorance

At worst it's xenophobia

Cthulu

May 13, 2014
Montreal
Why is it accepted in Quebec that it is okay for pundits and politicians to whine like *****es and incite public protests and boycotts when the Habs hire non-Francophones into positions of importance?

Because people have a right to their opinion even if they’re dumb. Like in most places, some people and policitians hold onto outdated ideas and voice them. They are mostly ridiculed and shut down pretty quick. Without generalizing, this is a thing that appeals to older people that don’t know a single word of english and lived at a time when ALL management was speaking english and never cared to learn french. Otherwise, everyone under fifty just wants the best hockey minds available. We can understand english, or read subtitles...

I thought the joke about the first overall pick was pretty funny. I would understand if someone said « all french canadians » this or that, or « classic french canadian » to an insulting sentence, but come on. Get over yourselves.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I don't think Montreal is the worst right now.

Better then Buffalo, Arizona, maybe Detroit/Van.....probably not though the last two.

They may have the WORST FUTURE outlook though.

But that outlook stuff changes on a yearly basis for a few teams. (Look at Vancouver's outlook last year compared to this year)

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
I see threads like this one as an opportunity to unite as hockey fans and just take a good collective laugh at how ridiculously mismanaged the Habs have been in the last few years. I mean, we're ****** for years to come so we might as well learn to laugh at ourselves at this point. There's no need to be oversensitive over that trash heap franchise.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
It has nothing to do with pressure. Oilers, Sens, Habs all made the playoffs last season. They are just not well run organizations.

Goes without saying. But there must be something about this is happening in Canada. Especially since in Canada there's a demand to perform cause of how important hockey is. You would think there would be a tendency to get the best hockey people.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Habs are trash. Embarassing way to run a hockey team. That said the french first mentality is not what is holding us back the most. CHaracter CHoeur and Grit and GRIND over skill is what's killing us. Our gm thinks games should be won 2-1 with a cast of no name players so nobody takes too much spotlight from the TEAM.

Nothing wrong with wanting players from here to play here . The problem is not picking up guys like danault and deharnais the problem is giving up Serg to get Drouin for one reason only .Disgusting. It becomes a problem when you start losing assets to cater to a vocal small % of the fanbase.

Bergevin is completely incompetant and I personally don't even think he values french players more than others . He just plays that card to get on the good side of french media. Terrible season? Trade serg for drouin and have french media talking like he's the second coming.
Acts like the fan base is filled with idiots ( not saying it's not) and gets away with it year after year. Ask anybody's opinion on him within the Montreal island and believe me he's getting roasted left and right. Only guy who dosent realise bergevin has to go is molson.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Habs are trash. Embarassing way to run a hockey team. That said the french first mentality is not what is holding us back the most. CHaracter CHoeur and Grit and GRIND over skill is what's killing us. Our gm thinks games should be won 2-1 with a cast of no name players so nobody takes too much spotlight from the TEAM.

Nothing wrong with wanting players from here to play here . The problem is not picking up guys like danault and deharnais the problem is giving up Serg to get Drouin for one reason only .Disgusting. It becomes a problem when you start losing assets to cater to a vocal small % of the fanbase.

Bergevin is completely incompetant and I personally don't even think he values french players more than others . He just plays that card to get on the good side of french media. Terrible season? Trade serg for drouin and have french media talking like he's the second coming.
Acts like the fan base is filled with idiots ( not saying it's not) and gets away with it year after year. Ask anybody's opinion on him within the Montreal island and believe me he's getting roasted left and right. Only guy who dosent realise bergevin has to go is molson.

The thing with bergevin is he'd be unemployed if montreal didn't have the french first mentality in regards to hiring people in management/coaching positions. Really shooting ourselves in the foot by eliminating like 98% of the candidates. How can we as fans support a team when they put winning secondary to language? its a joke!

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009

I challenge you to back that dum* comment. Show me french media went overboard with Drouin the day of the trade while the educated English media called for caution.

Latter part i agree with: the part about "the fan base"...

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
The Gazette: This doesn’t look like a bad trade by Bergevin, since offence has been the Canadiens’ biggest problem for a very long time. Drouin, who was the No. 3 overall pick by the Lightning at the 2013 NHL Draft, has some amazing offensive skills

TSN: Drouin gives the Canadiens a much-needed dose of offensive upside and creativity.

La Presse: Le DG du Canadien vient de réaliser un grand coup: améliorer l’attaque sans toucher à un régulier de l’équipe

Everybody was happy. Now the whiners are whining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad