Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Cincinnati Cyclones Thread: Part XV

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Decided to watch the playoffs. Here are my thoughts so far, having not watched the regular season at all.

1. Berard: Love him. Reminds me of Callahan as a prospect. A ball of energy, smart, unafraid of bigger guys. Was a victim of a two-handed slash today, but instead of falling and expecting to be protected, he fought back and assaulted the Checker in return. Was visible in a good way on almost every shift, creating more chances than anybody else. I really think he's a future NHLer and not a bottom-feeder either. I see him as a quality NHL player. Not an All Star, but a solid middle-6 guy. I am much more hopeful about him based on these 2 games than before watching him.

2. Othmann: Displays signs of promise, but still raw. I was hoping he'd play on the Rangers third line next season, but I doubt it. It's possible that in the second half of the next season he becomes a depth Ranger in the bottom-6, but more likely we're waiting until the 2025-26 season.

3. Korczak: Plays with the above 2 guys on The Kid Line. He's not dragging the line down, but he's also not as good as the other 2 guys. Displays flashes and is better than I expected him to be, but it's 50-50 if he makes the NHL due to his size. But let's not sleep on him, could be a useful depth forward.

4. Sykora: Not bad, not good ... until you realize he barely turned 19 at the start of the season while other rookies are 20-21 years old. Consider: rookie Berard is playing on The Kid Line, yet Sykora is 2 years younger than him almost to a day. For someone who is an underager in the league, I am satisfied with where he is, but he's a long way from the NHL. I said that Othmann is still raw - Sykora is way more raw than Othmann. Another issue is that he's undersized. Need to watch him for a couple more years before making any decisions.

5. Henriksson: Invisible. He's 23 so close to his prime. Yet another undersized forward. Not a realistic prospect. He'll be back in Sweden soon enough. Honestly, there's no reason to re-sign him this summer.

6. Robertson: Nothing about him stands out, but it's also the style he plays. Needs to take that step forward if he wants to play in the NHL. At his age, next year is make it or break it for him.

7. Garand: Technically sound, calm, reasonably athletic. Needs to work on some minor issues to limit percentages of shots, but he's still young and these are fixable concerns. Likely has a real NHL career, but probably not the next Shesterkin. Might be a starter one day, might be a backup, but I see him as an NHL player, maybe even as early as 2025-26 when Quick's contract runs out.

We currently have 4 draftees from 2020 (Laf, Schneider, Cuylle and Rempe) and could realistically have 6 (also Berard and Garand) guys taken in the same draft. That's crazy.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Decided to watch the playoffs. Here are my thoughts so far, having not watched the regular season at all.

1. Berard: Love him. Reminds me of Callahan as a prospect. A ball of energy, smart, unafraid of bigger guys. Was a victim of a two-handed slash today, but instead of falling and expecting to be protected, he fought back and assaulted the Checker in return. Was visible in a good way on almost every shift, creating more chances than anybody else. I really think he's a future NHLer and not a bottom-feeder either. I see him as a quality NHL player. Not an All Star, but a solid middle-6 guy. I am much more hopeful about him based on these 2 games than before watching him.

2. Othmann: Displays signs of promise, but still raw. I was hoping he'd play on the Rangers third line next season, but I doubt it. It's possible that in the second half of the next season he becomes a depth Ranger in the bottom-6, but more likely we're waiting until the 2025-26 season.

3. Korczak: Plays with the above 2 guys on The Kid Line. He's not dragging the line down, but he's also not as good as the other 2 guys. Displays flashes and is better than I expected him to be, but it's 50-50 if he makes the NHL due to his size. But let's not sleep on him, could be a useful depth forward.

4. Sykora: Not bad, not good ... until you realize he barely turned 19 at the start of the season while other rookies are 20-21 years old. Consider: rookie Berard is playing on The Kid Line, yet Sykora is 2 years younger than him almost to a day. For someone who is an underager in the league, I am satisfied with where he is, but he's a long way from the NHL. I said that Othmann is still raw - Sykora is way more raw than Othmann. Another issue is that he's undersized. Need to watch him for a couple more years before making any decisions.

5. Henriksson: Invisible. He's 23 so close to his prime. Yet another undersized forward. Not a realistic prospect. He'll be back in Sweden soon enough. Honestly, there's no reason to re-sign him this summer.

6. Robertson: Nothing about him stands out, but it's also the style he plays. Needs to take that step forward if he wants to play in the NHL. At his age, next year is make it or break it for him.

7. Garand: Technically sound, calm, reasonably athletic. Needs to work on some minor issues to limit percentages of shots, but he's still young and these are fixable concerns. Likely has a real NHL career, but probably not the next Shesterkin. Might be a starter one day, might be a backup, but I see him as an NHL player, maybe even as early as 2025-26 when Quick's contract runs out.

We currently have 4 draftees from 2020 (Laf, Schneider, Cuylle and Rempe) and could realistically have 6 (also Berard and Garand) guys taken in the same draft. That's crazy.
Great post. Just a couple of comments.

I think Othmann's game has improved a great deal in the latter part of the season. Driving to the net and making good passes. I said earlier that he could be another Frank Vatrano with his shot but I believe he can be better than Vatrano if he continues to grow his overall game as he has done.

Korczak has been pretty invisible this season. Maybe he has a future as a wing but I don't see a guy who sees the ice and controls the puck the way you would want a center. He needs to take a big step forward next season if he has any chance of being a good AHL player let alone an NHL player. HIs playing center along with Henriksson has been a problem for the Pack this season.

I'm not as high on Sykora as some. I realize he is young and he always is hustling but there is very little offense to his game. I thought it would be better for him to go to the WHL to work on his offense. He's not close to being an NHLer. I concur with your analysis.

Robertson is a perfectly adequate AHL defenseman but his game hasn't improved very much if at all, he's not very good offensively and he makes too many mistakes. I think Scanlin has passed him on the depth chart and Mancini, in a limited showing, looks like he could as well.

The prospects I'm most excited who have played in Hartford are, in no particular order, Garand, Scanlin, Mancini, Berard, Othmann, Chmelar, Edstrom and Rempe.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
I'm always a cheerleader for the kids, and to me, his 2023 post-season validated his potential,
while this year started strange for him, with finding a spot to play, then traded.

But NYR have lots of Fs on ELCs, so they may pass.

Dunno if he'd sign an AHL deal for a year,
IMHO he's got as much upside as the NCAA D-guys they recently signed to AHL make-goods.

NYR know him well from scouting, 2 summer camps and training, 2 training camps, and this spring's ATO
I can't see him getting an NHL contract but having gotten an ATO indicates the Rangers haven't given up on him and an AHL one year show me deal seems possible.

Reactions: egelband

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
thanks for the write up. disappointing note on Sykora! someone, possibly AK, was pretty vocal that hartford was not the right developmental choice. sounds like that might be being borne out.

on the other hand, love to hear Garand is able to build something when the lights are bright.

Berard sounds like he could be a bottom 6 asset as soon as next year. That kind of depth is so important.

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
He’s not even 21 yet. I don’t get how fans are on him already, although I am not surprised .

He's not even 20 yet, he'll be a teenager until September. Keeping his own in the AHL is good enough for a teenager drafted at the tail end of the second round. Let's keep things in perspective- this is not a 23 year old top-10 draftee.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
So what’s the current lineup ?
Just curious with All the kids brought in
Maybe not eligible for playoffs
Everyone on the current roster is eligible.

Last game, all of the prospects played except Vaisanen and Trivigno, and the backup goalies (Lindbom, Ollas, Boyko), obviously. I don't expect that the lineup will be substantially different today.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
So what’s the current lineup ?
Just curious with All the kids brought in
Maybe not eligible for playoffs

Last game, all of the prospects played except Vaisanen and Trivigno, and the backup goalies (Lindbom, Ollas, Boyko), obviously. I don't expect that the lineup will be substantially different today.
Bobby T played G1, Jenkins G2 in his place

otherwise all these guys played both games
Nash, Pitlick, Petan, Belzile, Lesch, Blidh
Othmann, Berard, Sykora, Korczak, Chmelar
Roberston, Scanlin, Hollowell, Mancini, Brouillard, Hillman,

Bench:
Trivigno/Jenkins, Vaisanen, Barbashev, Pekar, Panwar [Henriksson injured]
Yoon, McCarthy, Rees [Mackey, Harpur injured]

as @GAGLine line wrote, can't foresee substantial change, but possibly that last F spot again

IF Pack move on to face Providence, we may see them add :
BMB, Tarnstrom, or Berzolla[ECHL team down 2-3 w games Tues/Wed]
Siedam could rejoin when Notre Dame semester completes
or CHL UDFA...

Last edited:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

Vaisanen a healthy scratch, I assume?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It feels like some people are putting first round expectations on Sykora because he was our first pick in his draft year. He’s a late second round pick. If he turns out to be a depth forward then that’s still a good pick.

Good thing we didn't do that for Sean Day

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad