Monthly News Thread (June '17)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
No I am saying the NXT audience DOES know them. So these indie fans aren't being driven away from WWE since they know who Tommy End is, who Roderick Strong is, who Nakamura is, Who Kevin Steen is and so on and so on. WWE with the network now has a way to serve that audience. They can buy all the "indie" talent and put them on the network. Thats what they are trying to do in the UK right now.

Its a lot easier but no company is really pushing up to ECW or WCW levels. Even TNA gets something like 300K viewers. But I put a lot of the blame on the network which has made it nearly impossible for a company to grow to large. If you can't charge for PPV then your growth is limited. Back in the day the goal was to get TV and PPV to grow your fed. ECW and all its rip offs tried that route. Now with PPV being completely devalued by the WWE their is a ceiling for other orgs. House shows can only grow you so far and another company won't be able to make 10's to 100's of millions of dollars on running 1500 people arean's.

Ah, the way it was worded I thought you were saying NXT doesn't know who they are. The thing is that WWE can put them on NXT, and it'll keep network subs and entice fans to go to the big four events and spend money on an entire weekend of NXT Takeovers and then the PPV, but fans are still watching other promotions. A lot of indie wrestlers are making good livings just working those when back in the mid-2000s, the only place to really make money was either WWE or TNA. WWE's audience is shrinking, but pro wrestling as a whole is doing much better than it has in a while.

Sure, they may not get to ECW or WCW level (NJPW is easily the #2 though and they make good profit iirc), but they don't need to be. WWE is a monster. It's a giant. No one will compete like WCW did, but they don't need to to make money, bring in audiences and put on a good show. They provide variety for pro wrestling fans and provide them with super talented wrestlers and good cards that they spend their money on.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
As an aside, it's funny you bring up the UFC here and saying it makes wrestling look fake.

One of the biggest complains people have with wrestlers is their selling. No one sells enough they say. You watch a UFC fight and you see everyone constantly no-sellinge everything the entire fight. They get punched in the face and just stand there and ignore it. By wrestling complaints, you'd have to say that UFC looks fake lol.

I think its more along the lines of how a fight goes. In a wrestling match there is tons of time where one wrestlers is just letting the other wrestler recover or stand around.

In UFC if they get someone down they don't just stand around or wait for them to recover, they go in for the kill.

You watch a UFC fight and then a WWE match and your like ok Rollins how about you do something instead of letting Joe just sit around in the corner.

Wretling just looks like the guys aren't trying to actually fight or win when you compare it to UFC. Yes its fake but it really drives home how fake it is.

It's not an impressive number at all really. The WWE is a massive company operating world wide, if anything their income is low due to lack of current popularity.

I don't know to me its pretty impressive that WWE is such a huge company when their product is wrestling. I mean fake fighting is such a niche concept for a company to become that huge and get close to making 1 billion in revenue is somewhat mind boggling to me.

I am not denying though that WWE isn't as popular as it was during the attitude era or Hogan era. Its popularity has waned. But they still manage to bring home a lot of money considirng how much of an audience they lost.

The big problem for WWE is that a lot of their money comes from TV rights, and they don't make a lot of profit overall. So going forward, should TV money go down, they have a big problem if they don't restructure their business. They will need to make cut backs to keep going.

Isnt there TV deal something like 120 Million a year? thats less than 20%.

For sure a cut in TV revenu would be a big blow. And they would have restructure. But less TV also means no RAW/SMACKDOWN etc to hike up costs.

If they lose TV/Cut in TV their revenus/ and stock price would take a hit. But the network is there to be their saving grace.

Last edited by a moderator:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Mark Andrews was injured at download fest in a match with AOP, taking clothesline. Was stretchered out.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
She was teasing a return and said she wanted to do one more run. Pretty sure she was at mania and raw. Wwe even had some YouTube clips with her.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Last edited:

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I'm also not reporting it as news. I'm reporting the news that it's being reported as...news. -_-

Who knows the accuracy.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Ryback told a story of him having a match with Rusev and botching the finish because he got a leg cramp. He told Rusev 'my bad, leg cramp' in the ring and Rusev was cool with it and told him not to worry about it. He gets backstage and Seth Rollins is laughing, Ryback asks if anything is funny and Seth tells him the match sucked. Ryback tells him just because he won MITB it doesn't mean he can act like an ******* and nobody is perfect to which Seth responded "yeah, except me".

It was posted on reddit and those who met Seth, plus his vibe at signings, the way he went off on that Swerved prank, and his previous attitude problems backstage in NXT which he was almost fired for have people believing it. I wouldn't be surprised if it's true, though.

Ryback said Reigns is cool and earned his respect and that he's a family man and chill, and said Ambrose is a weird but funny guy and he likes him.

It's funny because a year later, Seth breaks Cena's nose and retires Sting within the span of a month. And once Corey Graves was talking about how early NXT roster wasn't a draw and Seth told him to "speak for himself" but now Seth is pretty much the anti-draw lol.

Roman also talked about how he and Seth never really hit it off because of the extreme differences in personality (Roman has been described as chill by numerous people) and how he (Roman) and Dean instantly hit it off and became friends and it took time teaming up with Seth for them to be cool (he said they only started to gel after the draft).

Last edited:

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Ryback is a joke and I generally believe maybe 5% of what he says.

I believe Seth is cocky but that paints him as outright awful which is hard to believe. Seems to have his fair amount of friends.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Most of Seth's failings I put on the booking but he's certainly not a guy you can really get behind from a fan's perspective for any real length of time. He's too easy to hate with how he looks and how he comes off. He's a lot like Triple H in that regard and he got cheered when he came back from injury too.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
You can be an ******* with friends. He almost got fired due to his attitude when he was in developmental.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Ryback is a joke and I generally believe maybe 5% of what he says.

I believe Seth is cocky but that paints him as outright awful which is hard to believe. Seems to have his fair amount of friends.

Or that he just dislikes Ryback which is certainly a possibility.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I met both Ryback and Seth at Axxess in New Orleans, both seemed like good dudes. Ryback definitely had a more friendly vibe though, he full on carried out a conversation with my buddy and I and asked questions about where we came from etc.

Rollins just made fun of me because i was super hungover, still wearing beads from Bourbon Street 1 pm the next day.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Seth is definitely cocky and has a big ego.

And yes, John Cena defending the honor of the United States against a foreign heel is 100% the direction they're going. I bet he's going to jump out of a plane with an American flag parachute flanked by two majestic bald eagles.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
So jojo likes her men to look like swamp men and commit adultary? good to know.

Jojo confirmed thot.

Ryback told a story of him having a match with Rusev and botching the finish because he got a leg cramp. He told Rusev 'my bad, leg cramp' in the ring and Rusev was cool with it and told him not to worry about it. He gets backstage and Seth Rollins is laughing, Ryback asks if anything is funny and Seth tells him the match sucked. Ryback tells him just because he won MITB it doesn't mean he can act like an ******* and nobody is perfect to which Seth responded "yeah, except me".

It was posted on reddit and those who met Seth, plus his vibe at signings, the way he went off on that Swerved prank, and his previous attitude problems backstage in NXT which he was almost fired for have people believing it. I wouldn't be surprised if it's true, though.

Ryback said Reigns is cool and earned his respect and that he's a family man and chill, and said Ambrose is a weird but funny guy and he likes him.

It's funny because a year later, Seth breaks Cena's nose and retires Sting within the span of a month. And once Corey Graves was talking about how early NXT roster wasn't a draw and Seth told him to "speak for himself" but now Seth is pretty much the anti-draw lol.

Roman also talked about how he and Seth never really hit it off because of the extreme differences in personality (Roman has been described as chill by numerous people) and how he (Roman) and Dean instantly hit it off and became friends and it took time teaming up with Seth for them to be cool (he said they only started to gel after the draft).

Seth is cocky but i don't think he's stupid enough to be laughing at a match backstage talking about how perfect he is.

it's also not exactly Seth's fault sting's body gave out on him. That could have literally been anyone doing a high impact move on sting and him just collapsing.

and then there's always ryback just being a dumb **** who makes things up non stop so, yeah.
How does a meathead even get a leg cramp? All he does is clotheslines and puts people on his shoulders. It's not like he does submissions where your leg can be put in that kind of situation.

Last edited:

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
John Cena's being penciled in to face Jinder Mahal at Summerslam...

As long as it gets the title off of Mahal i'm fine with it, screw that guy

Wrestling sheet says that Revival is cleared for action, and that is why we saw them in the brawl tonight.

Top Guys!!!

As much as I want them to have the tag belts i'm sure they will go into a program with.. Enzo and Cass??

Considering Cesar/Sheamus are heels, I thought it was gonna be Revival to take the belts of the Hardy's to be honest.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Ruso was on a podcast calling out Triple H and Vince for caving in towards the internet/indy demographic. He said that the Indy fans were complaining during the attitude era as they do now and that the greatest backlash they got was from the "This is your life" segment. The difference was that they would get laughed at after shows by creative at that time and did not cave in. Him and Jim Cornette have disagreements at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad