Monthly News Thread (June '17)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Median age of the "TV wrestling" viewer went from 28 years old in 2000 to 54 years old now. It's the biggest jump among these numbers, even though all sports went up in the median age of their viewership went up, none as big as wrestling.

NHL also went up quite a bit, but the viewership is very affluent.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Median age of the "TV wrestling" viewer went from 28 years old in 2000 to 54 years old now. It's the biggest jump among these numbers, even though all sports went up in the median age of their viewership went up, none as big as wrestling.

FIFTY FOUR???

jesus if you asked me to guess id never have come close to that number

Hypernova

Apr 20, 2007
Boston, MA
www.worldwrasslinpodcast.com

Hey if that's true, why not go back to TV-14? I think 54 year olds can handle an occasional curse word.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Young people will still watch curse words. If what Kimi says is true about other viewing methods, It will be easy to access on the internet.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The reception to the Fashion Police segments are really good in the WWE and Breezango are going to keep moving forward with them and have full support.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

Gotta wonder if this is just a general TV trend. NHL went up to. I think younger people these days are not watching as much TV. Cord cutting is on the rise, cable subscriptions are down. Essentially the only people really holding onto the old way of scheduled TV programs and over priced cable packages are the old boomers.

Younger people consume media on their own time and usually through the internet.

Now WWE's audience has shrunk, and it goes to say that they aren't replacing the aging fans with newer younger fans. But I think a better way to judge the age of WWE audience would be to look at live attendance median age and the network median age. That would probably give a better picture as opposed to an out dated format like cable TV.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
The reception to the Fashion Police segments are really good in the WWE and Breezango are going to keep moving forward with them and have full support.

Fandango is actually the stand out in these. I find Breeze is losing his gimmick a bit as he slips in and out of his Zoolander impression more often than not.

Dango usually has the best lines (the windy apple) and keeps up the whole idiot thing a lot better than Breeze does.

Still like Breeze but he needs to get back to his Zoolander impersonation to really keep the gimmick going because he is being overshadowed by Fandango right now.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Gotta wonder if this is just a general TV trend. NHL went up to. I think younger people these days are not watching as much TV. Cord cutting is on the rise, cable subscriptions are down. Essentially the only people really holding onto the old way of scheduled TV programs and over priced cable packages are the old boomers.

Younger people consume media on their own time and usually through the internet.

Now WWE's audience has shrunk, and it goes to say that they aren't replacing the aging fans with newer younger fans. But I think a better way to judge the age of WWE audience would be to look at live attendance median age and the network median age. That would probably give a better picture as opposed to an out dated format like cable TV.
The average age of TV sport viewers has gone up in the timeframe that was being looked at. But WWE is far worse than the everyone else. Same with the decline in viewership, everyone is down but WWE is far worse than everyone else.

Meltzer did a long piece on it in the Newsletter this week if you want to read all the details.

But it's like I said before. There are lots of WWE fans, but none of them watch TV. Half the posters here brag about never doing so, and some go as far to mock those who do. That is your WWE fanbase these days.

Go to a show and you'll not see the crowd made up of old men, it's very different. Those old guys are also not buying any merchandise either. The money going into WWE from fans isn't coming from their TV viewers. It's all wonky.

TV money might go, but there are people willing to spend money on the WWE. It's just a case of working out how to do that. The amount of money being spent on wrestling in general is really high right now, just look at how insanely well guys are doing on the indies.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
In my opinion, and without seeing any additional numbers but just a hunch, I do think WWE's viewership has dwindled but pro wrestling in general is healthy because the niche fan base is so big and are more willing to spend money on it these days. I also don't believe these wrestling fans are as poor or uneducated as WWE demos paints a picture.

Although this is me talking about pro wrestling in general, not WWE.

House show attendances are down, so clearly WWE is pushing people away from their product itself though. Pro wrestling is healthy though. I remember back in 2006-2008 the indies weren't a hot spot to make money iirc and the only three companies you'd hear about for the most part were WWE, TNA and ROH. The business has come a long way from that time frame in terms of alternative places to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad