Monthly News Thread (January 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
That is my fear. Especially if he misses EC. They won’t have anything for him to do and will just job in that dumb Battle Royal for a pay day.

Not that it sounded like he had much to do at Mania to begin with since feuding with Cena was just meant to be filler, and Roman will obviously be busy.

They could have made the battle royal worth something but its just the jobbers match so they get on the show/paid. Hell I would have rather Jinder won it last year so at least it made it somewhat credible, wins the battle royal then goes on to win the wwe title.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I think Joe was either going to feud with Ambrose or Strowman for Wrestlemania, with the off chance of an SD vs. Raw program for him. Even if he's in the battle royal, he can win it and legitimize it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think Joe was either going to feud with Ambrose or Strowman for Wrestlemania, with the off chance of an SD vs. Raw program for him. Even if he's in the battle royal, he can win it and legitimize it.

They're not doing any SD vs. Raw's except for the battle royale.

Seth vs. Ambrose was a speculated plan, no one ever knew beyond that.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Honestly it felt like they were just sticking as many irons in the oven as possible with Joe.

He had like three feuds going at once before the injury. Roman, Dean, and Cena.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Jericho on working Nakamura at Mania 33

After we went to Japan in June or July I remember coming back and talking to Vince, and I said you’ve got to bring this Nakamura guy up to the main roster. I wanna work with him. Let’s debut him at WrestleMania. I said I’ll stay until WrestleMania if I can work with Nakamura. Vince said okay. Then about a month later, I said that I actually think me and Kevin Owens could work at WrestleMania.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Honestly it felt like they were just sticking as many irons in the oven as possible with Joe.

He had like three feuds going at once before the injury. Roman, Dean, and Cena.

It's beautiful. It works too because Joe is so legit that he can pick fights with anyone and back it up. He's not a bitch heel. He fights.

In today's news Jericho takes credit for another thing.

I don't think he's necessarily taking credit for Nakamura being on the main roster. Nakamura wasn't even brought up until after WM, but Jericho just suggested it as something for Wrestlemania. Ultimately they went Jericho/Owens.

It's still interesting that the original plan was Jericho vs. Owens for the Universal Title at Wrestlemania but then they did the whole Goldberg thing and made it for the U.S. Title instead. The match was whatever anyways, but yeah.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
On the topic of Jericho, Meltzer said something on his show last week about him that I found interesting.

They were talking about how Jericho always comes back to WWE as a star, but he's a Jericho tier star. He's not a top guy, just one of top mix. Not overly special. But with how NJPW turns guys into a bigger stars, he might be able to come back as a higher tier guy next time. Maybe he comes back on the HHH tier instead of the Jericho tier.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They would have to actually book him on that tier.

How you are perceived in WWE is dependent on the booking. They have shown time and again how they can take people who are bigger stars elsewhere and knock them down a peg or three. It is like the company is incapable of riding a hot hand not of their own creation.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Obviously booking has to back it up to some extent.

But Jericho isn't going to be a full time guy who'll get booked down, he's a part time guy who can and has dictate when he works. He can protect himself from WWE, and then ride his own boosted stardom.

If he goes to Vince and say "I'm going to do a short program, I want to work with BLANK or BLANK, and we'll blow it off at Summerslam", Vince isn't going to turn it down. So I think Jericho might be able to do it himself despite WWE.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
LOL Jericho said Vince objected to the "Alpha vs. Omega" tagline because he did the Japanese wouldn't understand what Alpha means, and then Jericho found out that Vince named his new company "Alpha".

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Impact has once again switched back to the 4 sided ring. They also appear set to announce a deal with Twitch, as some of the aprons around the rings have Twitch logos on them.

Last edited by a moderator:

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Impact has once again switched back to the 4 sided ring. They also appear set to announce a deal with Twitch, as some of the aprons around the rings have Twitch logos on them.

I wonder how many name changes Impact will have this year?

Last edited by a moderator:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
- There’s speculation that WWE could move to Fox Sports. There’s speculation that Fox would want to buy WWE so they wouldn’t have to worry about TV rights, which is what they wanted to do with UFC before the price ballooned. It’s said that Raw would appear on the main Fox network and go back to two hours (8-10pm) and Smackdown would be on FS1.

- The Undertaker is scheduled for one of the top two matches for Wrestlemania.

- Kenny Omega has re-signed through to 2019.

- 9 NXT Women will be a part of the Royal Rumble.

- 205 Live will see its time cut due to the Mixed Match Challenge.

- Goldberg will headline the 2018 Hall of Fame class.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Rey Mysterio was so close to a deal with Impact that travel was arranged for him to be at the recent taping that just happened. However, the deal fell through and Mysterio has returned to Mexico.

A deal with the WWE and Mysterio fell through a couple months back as well

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
- There’s speculation that WWE could move to Fox Sports. There’s speculation that Fox would want to buy WWE so they wouldn’t have to worry about TV rights, which is what they wanted to do with UFC before the price ballooned. It’s said that Raw would appear on the main Fox network and go back to two hours (8-10pm) and Smackdown would be on FS1.

- The Undertaker is scheduled for one of the top two matches for Wrestlemania.

- Kenny Omega has re-signed through to 2019.

- 9 NXT Women will be a part of the Royal Rumble.

- 205 Live will see its time cut due to the Mixed Match Challenge.

- Goldberg will headline the 2018 Hall of Fame class.

8-10pm on Network TV? Hello PG era forever!

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If Wrestlemania ends with a lame Taker match where he can't move and a Reigns championship win, that will most likely be it for me. Taker vs. Cena is something I wanted at WM 30 with Taker winning. Taker vs. Cena and now Taker has 2 losses... nope. Don't care.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I usually watch Mania at the movie theaters but if the last two matches are Undertaker vs whoever and then Reigns vs Lesnar for the title, I'll be leaving before the Taker match. No point in staying for those two god awful showings.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
You guys think there is any chance Taker might do better in the ring because of that surgery he had?

Also, not sure why they can't have him do a 10 minute match or something instead if he does wrestler. It doesn't need to be an epic length, look at Lesnar-Goldberg or whatever.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Absolutely not because he always comes back "looking better" or in "better shape" etc. and he continually puts on poor matches.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Absolutely not because he always comes back "looking better" or in "better shape" etc. and he continually puts on poor matches.

Yeah but wasn't part of the reason because of his bad hip? I mean this time around after having surgery on it maybe he actually is capable of putting on a better match? I am not saying its going to be an amazing match or anything, but maybe he will actually look slightly better than the past couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad