Monthly News Thread (January 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Continue.

Enzo reportedly checked himself out of the hospital last night and drove himself to Raw and requested to work his match with Cedric anyways. It was denied and he was sent back home.

Miz is expected to re-enter the IC Title picture.

Shane McMahon is reportedly penciled in for a major Wrestlemania match again.

WWE has no plans for The Revival at the moment.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Do Shane McMahon and Kevin Owens vs Daniel Bryan and Sami Zayn.

The Miz should take the title right back IMO. Let him hold onto it for a bit, then have him put over a face at Summerslam. Move him back to SD in the next shakeup, and put him in the WWE title picture.

The Revival should have a key place in the tag division, but I also thought Enzo/Cass and Gallows/Andersen should as well and they broke up Cass/Enzo pretty quickly, and turned Gallows/Andersen into a comedy team.

So who knows

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Worth mentioning on here I guess, but John Pollock and Wai Ting from the LAW have now resurfaced at postwrestling.com. During the fall they were doing reviews at johnandwai4.life. They had a big launch podcast on Christmas Eve, which only about 1/3 I've gotten through. Set up a Patreon as well, because when you're on your own, you need to self-sustain. Haven't gotten through all of the bells and whistles yet.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Worth mentioning on here I guess, but John Pollock and Wai Ting from the LAW have now resurfaced at postwrestling.com. During the fall they were doing reviews at johnandwai4.life. They had a big launch podcast on Christmas Eve, which only about 1/3 I've gotten through. Set up a Patreon as well, because when you're on your own, you need to self-sustain. Haven't gotten through all of the bells and whistles yet.

Was happy to see that happen. They had Mouth and Agnew on for a best of 2017 show on Sunday too and will have the Worst of show next week. The Christmas Eve show was great too.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I don't necessarily think he's been cleared or if there's any intention to clear him.

I just think the current angle is bizarre af if he isn't or won't be.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't necessarily think he's been cleared or if there's any intention to clear him.

I just think the current angle is bizarre af if he isn't or won't be.

It's only going to get more bizarre when the payoff is just them firing DB at the end of it. lol

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If Danielson isn't cleared, at least they have a backup option of Sami vs. Shane

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
That would leave us with no matchup for KO?? Assuming that AJ faces the rumble winner.

The rumble winner has to come from SmackDown otherwise philly will destroy that building if reigns wins it.

Unless somehow AJ wins and KO comes out and wins the rumble

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
- John Cena has been announced for a "special guest appearance" at Smackdown's Fastlane PPV.

- Dave Meltzer says WWE has given up on Bayley and gave up on her a while ago. He said that when they decide to protect Mickie James, who was brought in to be filler and take losses, over Bayley, it says a lot.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
With how crazy momentum is going for NJPW, could you frickin' imagine if they landed something like a Daniel Bryan?

I'm not too familiar with NJPW's financial situation, but could they afford some top end stars to bring in? Maybe @GKJ or @Kimi can answer this?

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
With how crazy momentum is going for NJPW, could you frickin' imagine if they landed something like a Daniel Bryan?

I'm not too familiar with NJPW's financial situation, but could they afford some top end stars to bring in? Maybe @GKJ or @Kimi can answer this?
2017 was their second highest grossing year in company history ($34-million).

No doubt if WWE doesn't clear Daniel Bryan we'll be seeing him in NJPW sooner rather than later.

Bryan seems like the dude who'd want to make it work so bad that he'd even take a paycut if he saw lots of potential huge matches for himself in NJPW, and there are plenty for him if he went there.

Hypernova

Apr 20, 2007
Boston, MA
www.worldwrasslinpodcast.com
- John Cena has been announced for a "special guest appearance" at Smackdown's Fastlane PPV.

- Dave Meltzer says WWE has given up on Bayley and gave up on her a while ago. He said that when they decide to protect Mickie James, who was brought in to be filler and take losses, over Bayley, it says a lot.

Typical WWE. The writers make Bayley do some of the dumbest storylines ever and then when she doesn't get over, they blame Bayley.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I hope like hell Bryan leaves the WWE and goes to NJPW/ROH.

There are so many things i need to learn about all this. So i would say i'm a very casual viewer of the indys. I watched a lot of matches online, but it's difficult because the context/build isn't there week to week. I'll throw on ROH and NJPW when i see it on TV or DVR an episode and watch it. That's how I saw Marty Scurll and was blown away. But I see the dude wrestling ROH and NJPW. Are there no specific contracts between these groups? Cody does the same. Is it connected or how does that all work?

I think I need to stop being a casual viewer and move to just watching ROH/NXT/NJPW and be happy with wrestling again.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
There are so many things i need to learn about all this. So i would say i'm a very casual viewer of the indys. I watched a lot of matches online, but it's difficult because the context/build isn't there week to week. I'll throw on ROH and NJPW when i see it on TV or DVR an episode and watch it. That's how I saw Marty Scurll and was blown away. But I see the dude wrestling ROH and NJPW. Are there no specific contracts between these groups? Cody does the same. Is it connected or how does that all work?

I think I need to stop being a casual viewer and move to just watching ROH/NXT/NJPW and be happy with wrestling again.
I'm not 100% familiar with the specifics but I do know NJPW/ROH have a working relationship with talent appearing on both NJPW and ROH.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
basically they borrow wrestlers for certain programs between ROH, CMLL and NJPW .... you still work for one of them only, but its not an exclusivity thing like WWE.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
On contracts.

The contracts are not too complicated and there are only a handful of places giving them out that matter (RoH, NJPW, TNA, WWN/EVOLVE, CMLL, AAA, and other Japanese and Mexican promotions). While the contracts are all different, they're mostly the same in practice.

They work mostly the same as it WWE UK deals. WWE has priority on dates, and won't let them work for rival companies, but outside of that they are mostly free to do anything.

How it usually works is that a wrestler signs to a promotion and gives them priority on dates. Sometimes there is a limit on dates, essentially making them part-time deals, but others are almost full-time deals. Outside of these dates, guys are free to do shows for almost anyone else. Exact details vary.

There are usually some limits on guys, things like not appearing on TV or doing shows for rivals, not losing as a champion. Reasonable stuff like that. Some times they are more limiting (like NJPW having exclusivity in Japan), but they're rarely tyrannical.

The bit were it gets a little complicated is the RoH/NJPW agreement. This is basically a talent exchange deal where some NJPW guys will do RoH runs or RoH guys do tours in Japan. They also do joint shows. There are agreements with RevPro(UK) and CMLL (Mexico) that are more or less the same too.

The second complicated bit comes when guys sign with multiple companies, usually part time with both. A couple of examples are Scurll and Ospreay being signed to both RoH and NJPW, and Sabre Jr. being signed to WWN/EVOLVE and NJPW.

These deals are often worked out case by case, or negotiated in tandem to make sure they can work without issues. They're not really complicated, it's just the same as normal but twice. Guys who have these often are not big players for either promotion, but are stars who travel all over, the UK guys being good examples.

The last complicated bit is the free agents super stars. These are rare, but they sometimes happen. Cody is the recent example, working for RoH, TNA, and NJPW at the same time after he left WWE but unsigned to any of them. He eventually signed with RoH, but continues to do NJPW dates in a prominent spot.

Reactions: ColePens

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
On NJPW siging stars, they don't need to. They already have them.

The biggest stars you can bring in for any show right now are all work for NJPW. They don't need help in the star department at all. And they especially don't need any more foreign stars.

Unlike WWE, NJPW can't get away with using non-locals all over the card. No one in the US cares that Bálor is Irish or Owens is Canadian, everyone is the same unless they are doing an evil foreigner gimmick. In Japan it's very different, an outsider is always an outsiders even if they've been there forever. So they need to maintain a mostly Japanese roster, and right now they're at the limit of foreign guys so really can't sign more.

Obviously there are exceptions to this, especially with the expansion plans. Jericho being the obvious one, and Bryan would instantly be approached if he leaves WWE. And going forward they are probably going to need more US based guys, but right now they don't need more.

On the issue of money NJPW is doing well, but WWE crushes them. If it comes down to a bidding war, then WWE is going to win every time. NJPW can offer good deals, and the exposure guys get from being in NJPW is massive boost to careers, but they can't compete at the high end at all. But again, they don't need to pull guys away from WWE as they can build their own stars well enough.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Of course the current storyline is weird if Bryan is never gonna wrestle for the company again. On the other hand, it was just as weird when the Miz feuded with him for no reason (and it's really weird that the Miz still does the kicks to taunt Bryan for no reason).

The company is going to try and capitalize on Bryan's popularity even if it makes no sense to build towards a payoff that is never going to happen.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Of course the current storyline is weird if Bryan is never gonna wrestle for the company again. On the other hand, it was just as weird when the Miz feuded with him for no reason (and it's really weird that the Miz still does the kicks to taunt Bryan for no reason).

The company is going to try and capitalize on Bryan's popularity even if it makes no sense to build towards a payoff that is never going to happen.

Pretty much. This isn’t the first time Bryan was featured in a feud that needed to, but was never going to end in a match.

I still don’t understand why Miz keeps doing Yes taunts on RAW.

I think you are right. There isn’t any real intention by WWE to clear him, they just want to use his popularity to get a ratings bump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad