Monthly News Thread (January 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
With how crazy momentum is going for NJPW, could you frickin' imagine if they landed something like a Daniel Bryan?

I'm not too familiar with NJPW's financial situation, but could they afford some top end stars to bring in? Maybe @GKJ or @Kimi can answer this?

On contracts.

The contracts are not too complicated and there are only a handful of places giving them out that matter (RoH, NJPW, TNA, WWN/EVOLVE, CMLL, AAA, and other Japanese and Mexican promotions). While the contracts are all different, they're mostly the same in practice.

They work mostly the same as it WWE UK deals. WWE has priority on dates, and won't let them work for rival companies, but outside of that they are mostly free to do anything.

How it usually works is that a wrestler signs to a promotion and gives them priority on dates. Sometimes there is a limit on dates, essentially making them part-time deals, but others are almost full-time deals. Outside of these dates, guys are free to do shows for almost anyone else. Exact details vary.

There are usually some limits on guys, things like not appearing on TV or doing shows for rivals, not losing as a champion. Reasonable stuff like that. Some times they are more limiting (like NJPW having exclusivity in Japan), but they're rarely tyrannical.

The bit were it gets a little complicated is the RoH/NJPW agreement. This is basically a talent exchange deal where some NJPW guys will do RoH runs or RoH guys do tours in Japan. They also do joint shows. There are agreements with RevPro(UK) and CMLL (Mexico) that are more or less the same too.

The second complicated bit comes when guys sign with multiple companies, usually part time with both. A couple of examples are Scurll and Ospreay being signed to both RoH and NJPW, and Sabre Jr. being signed to WWN/EVOLVE and NJPW.

These deals are often worked out case by case, or negotiated in tandem to make sure they can work without issues. They're not really complicated, it's just the same as normal but twice. Guys who have these often are not big players for either promotion, but are stars who travel all over, the UK guys being good examples.

The last complicated bit is the free agents super stars. These are rare, but they sometimes happen. Cody is the recent example, working for RoH, TNA, and NJPW at the same time after he left WWE but unsigned to any of them. He eventually signed with RoH, but continues to do NJPW dates in a prominent spot.

On NJPW siging stars, they don't need to. They already have them.

The biggest stars you can bring in for any show right now are all work for NJPW. They don't need help in the star department at all. And they especially don't need any more foreign stars.

Unlike WWE, NJPW can't get away with using non-locals all over the card. No one in the US cares that Bálor is Irish or Owens is Canadian, everyone is the same unless they are doing an evil foreigner gimmick. In Japan it's very different, an outsider is always an outsiders even if they've been there forever. So they need to maintain a mostly Japanese roster, and right now they're at the limit of foreign guys so really can't sign more.

Obviously there are exceptions to this, especially with the expansion plans. Jericho being the obvious one, and Bryan would instantly be approached if he leaves WWE. And going forward they are probably going to need more US based guys, but right now they don't need more.

On the issue of money NJPW is doing well, but WWE crushes them. If it comes down to a bidding war, then WWE is going to win every time. NJPW can offer good deals, and the exposure guys get from being in NJPW is massive boost to careers, but they can't compete at the high end at all. But again, they don't need to pull guys away from WWE as they can build their own stars well enough.

To run off the question about Danielson, I'm pretty sure they'd find the money pretty quick. With his family life, he'd probably be on a similar deal to what Cody Rhodes has, but there is also the US Territory that NJPW had been rumored to establish in California, and it goes without saying that a free-agent west-coast-based Danielson would be a pretty prized piece to establish that.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Pretty much. This isn’t the first time Bryan was featured in a feud that needed to, but was never going to end in a match.

I still don’t understand why Miz keeps doing Yes taunts on RAW.

I think you are right. There isn’t any real intention by WWE to clear him, they just want to use his popularity to get a ratings bump.
Because the only thing that's important in WWE is to make sure you can get HEAT. Everything needs heat. Either you get heat or you die.

I think WWE's intention with Danielson is to turn him heel and supress his popularity since everyone hates authority figures ruining their shows. But, like almost anything else they try to accomplish, it'll backfire. And on January 4, 2019, this forum will have it's biggest day in history.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If DB wrestles at that event... I'll be calling off work and waking up at the ungodly 3am hour to watch the entire show.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Would be more excited to see Punk return than Bryan wrestle.

Oct 18, 2011
WWE is acting foolish, yhey coerced DB into retiring. They are just using him as an example that they're attempting to follow concussion protocols despite no evidence of any brain damage

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
If the rumors of WWE working on turning Bryan heel to ruin his future marketability upon his contract expiring might turn me off this company once and for all. Either clear him to wrestle or get out of his way so he can do what he wants when his contract ends. No matter what they do...he's so over that you can't really turn him full heel unless he kills a puppy in the middle of the ring.

Just give me Bryan Danielson at WK13 and I'll be happy. Of course, I'd hope he's healthy enough to do it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Would be more excited to see Punk return than Bryan wrestle.

Not sure what CM Punk has to do with any of this, but if he were to decide to unretire, probably would be in the same ROH-NJPW universe.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I def still care about Punk.

Hoping the Lady Rumble makes AJ want back in (possibly the loudest pop a woman would ever receive?) and it makes her husband want back in to blow the roof off the place.

I'm not the only one, if he comes back I guarantee the loudest pop a wrestler ever had.

...and let's not assume it's the love of wrestling that is Punk's problem. Could be those running the show...

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I’ve stopped caring about CM Punk. He’s shit on wrestling to the point where — okay, I get it, you got burned out — but it got to the point of total disrespect at one point.

He exercised his right as an independent contractor to leave on his own. That’s cool. I have no problem with it. I’m just sick of hearing about the guy and speculation of “will he return?” when he’s still under contract with UFC and probably would never return to WWE. The irony would not be lost on him getting handed a WM main event if he did return though.

Also, while his mic work would unsurprisingly still be amazing, his in-ring work would be lacking as he’s up there in age and hasn’t wrestled in about 4 years and counting now. Hell, he looked sluggish in 2013 in his first match back after a two month rest.

I just really don’t care about him anymore. If he returned I’d be interested, but I don’t care about speculating on him anymore and don’t care about his UFC stuff. I’d rather pay attention to the guys who want to wrestle and want to be there.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
- WWE's reportedly considering turning Daniel Bryan heel. The report speculates that it could be to hurt Bryan's value if he decides to leave the company later in the year.

- WWE has no current plans to bring back the Slammy awards at this time and are looking at a new concept for the awards.

- WWE posted a tweet hinting that Balor and The Club being together won't be a one-off.

This company is beyond petty and stupid if they think: a) Bryan turning heel will hurt his value when he leaves and b) if they think the fans will actually boo Bryan over McMahon considering the current reactions on TV.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Trying to torpedo Daniel Bryan's value, who wants to bet he turns it around on them?

Wiiiiiiiiiiithout a doubt. DB would turn that in a second. I don't think there is a more natural over wrestler in the world or in my memory. Even going back to his indy days, you always heard his name pop up. Always. It's insane.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Just like Emp said... if Punk got back into wrestling, I bet you any money Gong and MCG would be tuning in. The minute Punk enters a ring, we will be in a thread discussing it. That's for damn sure.
Yeah but until that happens I don’t care. I’m sick of speculating about a guy who’s trashed pro wrestling and said he hates it.

It won’t be in WWE anyways.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Just like Emp said... if Punk got back into wrestling, I bet you any money Gong and MCG would be tuning in. The minute Punk enters a ring, we will be in a thread discussing it. That's for damn sure.

Maybe if its at a PPV because thats all I watch now a days. I wouldn't tune in just for Punk.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Maybe if its at a PPV because thats all I watch now a days. I wouldn't tune in just for Punk.

IMO the 2 biggest things in wrestling right now could be:

1) DB's return to the ring (especially in a different promotion): This would ignite the entire wrestling world to tune into whatever he shows up at.

2) Punk rumored to show up on any show (especially WWE): I don't care if you hate Punk or not. Everyone would tune into the Raw to see it. Or at the very least, they'd tune in after to see what happened.

I understand it's extremely unlikely and I actually agree with MCG's breakdown of what HHH did. It was a dick move and WWE is their own worst enemy for shit like this. Their grudges and the shit they do sometimes ruins their own business. They could make so much money if they just weren't so f***ing old school. At least Vince was crazy enough to put mega grudges behind. HHH seems like a guy who will hold it forever.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Oh the door for Punk returning to WWE may be open just a small little crack while Vince is alive, but I'm convinced that door shuts completely and is probably burned to the ground the moment Vince dies and HHH and Steph take full control. Neither of them liked Punk and HHH's ego and stubborness will never allow him to bring Punk back.

Reactions: ColePens
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad