Proposal: Mon-Jets; Price for Laine + 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Price is the best goalie in the world. Sure Laine scored 36 goals in his rookie season, but he is not the type of franchise changing player that drives the play like a Mcdavid does.

No, but i also don't want 10M tied on my starting goalie.

Besides, i still believe in Hellebuyck. If he has a good year and moving forward gets the job done, he's eventually going to get paid like 5M. I rather spend the other 5M on a top 6 player/top 4 dman than slightly better goaltending.

Im a big believer in spending your cap on skaters. If we're paying twice as much as other teams for our goalies, that will end up biting us in the ass at some point when we either have to re-sign someone or have a chance to sign a good player in FA.

And there's really no point in trading Laine right now. Rather see what he becomes down the line, as we already know his floor is good.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
2 points in 3 games 10 shots, cant complain really. If he pots 2 goals tonight, he would be ppg and a nice gpg. You look real dumb...

It's not about simply being PPG after 4 or 5 games. His lackluster production extends back to last March. He doesn't play defense. He doesn't playmake. He can't skate. He needs to score consistently in all months that he plays.

He's not a bad player. He's just not worth Carey Price, best goalie in the league. Winnipeg simply needs to add to this proposed transaction.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
Now I know why Habs fans think Jet's fans are delusional.

Most of the answers in this thread aren’t from Jets fans. So, are most of the people here delusional, including some of the Habs fans who posted here saying it is really bad for the Jets?

By the way if Winnipeg cannot afford Price under cap how can they afford Laine in two years?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Laine is a low 60's point winger who doesn't play defense, doesn't playmake, doesn't skate well who has not evidently progressed since the previous season.

Laine makes more good passes than he shoots, i don't know where you came up with that. His acceleration leaves some to be desired, but his top end speed is pretty good. And color me shocked 19yr old after a successful rookie year doesn't look like a world-beater in his first 3 games next season. Not like that's ever happened before.

I've never been on board with the people who say he's going to score 50 this year. All i want to see is him not regressing a whole lot from last year. But at the same time i have no doubt he'll get better as the years go by.

Obviously Price is the better player right now, but i don't want that contract and im intrigued by what Laine can do in the future.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Laine makes more good passes than he shoots, i don't know where you came up with that. His acceleration leaves some to be desired, but his top end speed is pretty good. And color me shocked 19yr old after a successful rookie year doesn't look like a world-beater in his first 3 games next season. Not like that's ever happened before.

I've never been on board with the people who say he's going to score 50 this year. All i want to see is him not regressing a whole lot from last year. But at the same time i have no doubt he'll get better as the years go by.

Obviously Price is the better player right now, but i don't want that contract and im intrigued by what Laine can do in the future.

I agree, I would love to see Laine not regress from last year. And I don't think he's regressed. I just don't believe he has progressed. Stagnation is probably the right word as of now.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
He doesn't playmake. He can't skate. He needs to score consistently in all months that he plays.
I don't think his lack of playmaking is going to be a problem. Another solid young talent in Auston Matthews has even worse playmaking than Laine but he's still very effective because he can score goals. Not to mention Ovechkin.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Price for Laine and a 1st :huh::laugh::skeptic::(:eek: ... do any of these little emo thingys vomit

Some Habs fans are getting desperate but come on.... Why not go Price and Galchenyuk (who is being offered in every 2nd thread) for Laine Sheifele and a 1st... you'd have about as much luck in getting anyone to remotely think it was a good deal for the Jets.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
No, not three games. Also his last 15~ games last season. So it's really a continuation of where he left off last season. He's nearing almost 20 games of not being productive offensively. And if he isn't producing offensively, he isn't being as helpful as he should be for someone of his draft pedigree.

Ok so your choosing to ignore all the factors around this your saying?

- Laine played nearly a 100 games that season between NHL & international play. One might expect a tough transition doing this the first year after being used to playing less then half that in the Finnish league.

- Laine adjusting to the north american game.

- Laine be 18 years old and physically wasn't not fully developed and still isn't. He added about 10 lbs of muscle this summer per him.

- Players develop at different pace then others. You comment was black & white, you declared those statements like they were final and not a 18 kid developing through his first north american nhl season.

- 18 year kid coming to a new country, 2nd language and having no family or support here.

- Poor play maker? Hmmm you've watched Laine clearly only a few games.....he's a very good play maker with very good passing skill.

- Laine skating is fine, depending on what specific piece of it you want to talk about. His first three strides is average, but his top end speed is above average. Calling him a poor skater is not accurate.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I don't think his lack of playmaking is going to be a problem. Another solid young talent in Auston Matthews has even worse playmaking than Laine but he's still very effective because he can score goals. Not to mention Ovechkin.

Matthews is a center who is a very good playmaker. He's a puck retriever, a grinder, a cycler, skates well, and he's also producing offensively.

Ovechkin has a better shot than Laine, and his near 600 career goals speaks for itself. He was also very speedy in his prime which allowed him to score off the rush and also keep opponents guessing.

Laine isn't a center, doesn't have Ovechkin's shot, and isn't the skater that Matthews and Ovechkin are. Teams are already beginning to key in on Laine, and I would not be surprised to see him struggle to adapt with the tighter spaces and less time to react.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Forget about Laine because I understand why you would not trade him for Price. What would you offer for Price though? The other thing to consider is Price has some serious bonus money that the Jets might need to shy away from. I ask jets fans two things...

1) What is your best offer for Price?
- Price for Mason, Ehlers, 2018 1st, 2019 1st? Fair deal?

2) How about Lindgren? I think he would be a low cost with potential of high return.
- Galchenyuk & Lindgren for Ehlers?
- Lindgren for 2018 2nd?

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I stopped reading here, as Laine has higher career assists per game than Matthews.

That's because you are closing your eyes to the context. Anyway, this topic is about Price and Laine. Laine is not enough to get the best goalie in the NHL. In fact, there are others on Winnipeg I would ask for before Laine, if I was Montreal and wanted to trade Price.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
Forget about Laine because I understand why you would not trade him for Price. What would you offer for Price though? The other thing to consider is Price has some serious bonus money that the Jets might need to shy away from. I ask jets fans two things...

1) What is your best offer for Price?
- Price for Mason, Ehlers, 2018 1st, 2019 1st? Fair deal?

2) How about Lindgren? I think he would be a low cost with potential of high return.
- Galchenyuk & Lindgren for Ehlers?
- Lindgren for 2018 2nd?
I think you are vastly underrating Ehlers.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Ok so your choosing to ignore all the factors around this your saying?

- Laine played nearly a 100 games that season between NHL & international play. One might expect a tough transition doing this the first year after being used to playing less then half that in the Finnish league.

- Laine adjusting to the north american game.

- Laine be 18 years old and physically wasn't not fully developed and still isn't. He added about 10 lbs of muscle this summer per him.

- Players develop at different pace then others. You comment was black & white, you declared those statements like they were final and not a 18 kid developing through his first north american nhl season.

- 18 year kid coming to a new country, 2nd language and having no family or support here.

- Poor play maker? Hmmm you've watched Laine clearly only a few games.....he's a very good play maker with very good passing skill.

- Laine skating is fine, depending on what specific piece of it you want to talk about. His first three strides is average, but his top end speed is above average. Calling him a poor skater is not accurate.

I understand all that. Laine needs to add to what he built upon last year. He was fine for a rookie for much of last year, so there really is no excuse for him to stagnate at this point. Like I said, it's not just about the past 3 games. It's more about the past, say, 17 games. Prior to that, his size, continental adjustment, language ability didn't hinder him.

And on that topic, Puljujarvi is the type of player who needs adjustment to a new continent. His English is lacking in a way that Laine's isn't. Puljujarvi should end up the better player in the end, but Laine had a faster start. Laine is adjusted, so he really needs to show progression rather than rely on excuses that were not even relevant last year.

Reactions: david999

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
2 points in 3 games 10 shots, cant complain really. If he pots 2 goals tonight, he would be ppg and a nice gpg. You look real dumb...

Just look at his post history, explains it all.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I understand all that. Laine needs to add to what he built upon last year. He was fine for a rookie for much of last year, so there really is no excuse for him to stagnate at this point. Like I said, it's not just about the past 3 games. It's more about the past, say, 17 games. Prior to that, his size, continental adjustment, language ability didn't hinder him.

And on that topic, Puljujarvi is the type of player who needs adjustment to a new continent. His English is lacking in a way that Laine's isn't. Puljujarvi should end up the better player in the end, but Laine had a faster start. Laine is adjusted, so he really needs to show progression rather than rely on excuses that were not even relevant last year.

Checked your posting history.....you have a history of Laine/Jets hate constantly. Funny

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Hm. With .920 rather than .910 goaltending last season, Jets would have allowed about 28 less goals. You need 2 goals to turn a loss into a win, in general, so that would be about 14 more wins. Though as the goalie plays only around 3/4 of a season, it really would be closer to 10 more wins instead.

Now, how much is Laine's value less than allowing ~21 less goals throughout the season, especially when considering that goalies don't affect goals scored essentially at all and the age and contracts? I really don't think goalies are as valuable as they're regarded as.

This.

Price + new coach and the Jets are a cup contender
The "Price + " section of your post is unnecessary.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think you are vastly underrating Ehlers.

I know exactly how good Ehlers is. I am a Mooseheads season ticket holder and I am a big fan. I don't feel I am underrating Ehlers because I feel you are underrating Price in the 1st offer and Galchenyuk and Lindgren in the 2nd offer.

Honest question. Who do you value more. Ehlers or Laine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad